My Final Word on Boston

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
posted 03-08-2003 11:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The question about tagging Boston will be a mute point if the Cards pick up the right people in free agency. If they tagged and then traded him, they would have gotten a mid to late first round draft pick. The Question is: would you rather pay money for an unproven draft pick or pay money for a free agent who has already proven himself? I know what my answer is------the free agent is a much more sure thing.
Suppose no one wanted to give up a 1st. rounder and we had to keep Boston on this team. We're only out $5 Million, but what if he starts doing drugs again, or gets injured again, or pouts because he doesn't want to be here (he made that very apparent after last season). Having a cancer like that in the club house causes all kinds of dissent, especially when he's one of your top paid players. How do you think the rest of the guys who are making a lot less money than Boston would feel watching him goof off, drop easily catchable balls (as he did last season), and be a pain in the butt?

I'm sure the Cards considered all these things before they made the decision not to tag him. Is this the right choice?? Only time will tell, but at least they made a decision and didn't take the easy way out.

The old Cardinal organization would have definetely tagged him without even thinking. Then if things blew up, everyone would be complaining about why they kept a druggee. This is a no-win situation, but in my opinion (after spending many hours thinking about this), I think they did the right thing. If Boston would have come back under the terms the Cards offered him, the Cards would have had theirselves protected for any event.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. There are several other layers to this story as well but honestly I'm tired of talking about DB. Time to turn the page and see how this story plays out.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but at least they made a decision and didn't take the easy way out.

What was the easy way out, then?

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
What was the easy way out, then?
<p>The easy and most fan friendly way would have been to put the tag on Boston. That's what everyone expected them to do.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
As many concerns with DB as there are. He is too good a talent to let leave...

Lets think about the top few WR's in the league for a sec...

1 Randy Moss

2 T. Owens

3 D. Boston

Hmmm I think all of these guys have their baggage, but the talent to be a "DIFFERENCE MAKER" outweighs the baggage...

If u wanna be great you have to take the BAD with the GOOD...

You cannot ever have your cake and eat it tooo...

BOSTON made this team alot better, without him were average at best...

This will be a move that will kill this team, too bad...

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Go

Originally posted by BEERZ
As many concerns with DB as there are. He is too good a talent to let leave...

Lets think about the top few WR's in the league for a sec...

1 Randy Moss

2 T. Owens

3 D. Boston

Hmmm I think all of these guys have their baggage, but the talent to be a "DIFFERENCE MAKER" outweighs the baggage...

If u wanna be great you have to take the BAD with the GOOD...

You cannot ever have your cake and eat it tooo...

BOSTON made this team alot better, without him were average at best...

This will be a move that will kill this team, too bad...

Moss and Owens have had more then one great year. As far as I know Owens has never been in trouble with the law (since he's been in the NFL). This season we will see how much we needed Boston. If say McAddley comes in with a nice year the loss of Boston will not be as bad. I think we're going to go the route of Baltimore/Tampa type team. Try to have a great defense and a great running game (granted Tampa did not have a great running game, but they sure tried :) ). The passing game will be secondary on the offense, and if that's the case you don't put a ton of money into that part of the team.

adam
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited:

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Suppose no one wanted to give up a 1st. rounder and we had to keep Boston on this team. We're only out $5 Million, but what if he starts doing drugs again, or gets injured again, or pouts because he doesn't want to be here (he made that very apparent after last season). Having a cancer like that in the club house causes all kinds of dissent, especially when he's one of your top paid players. How do you think the rest of the guys who are making a lot less money than Boston would feel watching him goof off, drop easily catchable balls (as he did last season), and be a pain in the butt?

The old Cardinal organization would have definetely tagged him without even thinking. Then if things blew up, everyone would be complaining about why they kept a druggee.

Let me get this straight:

According to your paragraph, tagging a "drugee", "pain in the butt" clubhouse cancer with a high injury risk that drops catchable balls is the easy way out?

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I think I would have to have Marvin Harrison somewhere above Boston, actually if you base what he has done just on the field there are a number of WR's that are as good or better, if you base it on potential then maybe he's in the top 4-5, but until he proves himself game to game and year to year he will be tagged with potentially great player label IMO.

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
According to your paragraph, tagging a "drugee", "pain in the butt" clubhouse cancer with a high injury risk that drops catchable balls is the easy way out?
<p>Have you read the rest of my post? The reason why it's the easy way out is because that's what the fans wanted them to do. If they had done that, we wouldn't have had the hue and outcry from the fans and they could have put off dealing with it until a trade came along or the season rolled around. That's the easy way and that's the way it was always done with this organization. They've changed their method of operation. I can't make it any plainer than that so if you can't understand this, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
Moss and Owens have had more then one great year. As far as I know Owens has never been in trouble with the law (since he's been in the NFL). This season we will see how much we needed Boston. If say McAddley comes in with a nice year the loss of Boston will not be as bad. I think we're going to go the route of Baltimore/Tampa type team. Try to have a great defense and a great running game (granted Tampa did not have a great running game, but they sure tried :) ). The passing game will be secondary on the offense, and if that's the case you don't put a ton of money into that part of the team.

adam

Adam - do you not consider a 2nd year WR gaining 1156 yrds and 8 tds a very good year? Then building on that to lead the league in receiving a great year? He started this season with injuries and tried to play through them and was still on pace for antoher 1100 yard season - it's just kind of irks me that people who bash a little on Boston either flat out ignore or never bring up the fact that as a 2nd year WR, thrust into the number #1 role when Moore went down, he showed pretty damn well for himself. It's always these ONE YEAR statements. He's only 24! Also as a 3rd WR, his rookie year he had 500 yards, playing behind vets - and people want to pay Martay 3 million? (not saying you're one of those - but Boston is a special breed of player and I think everyone here knows it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston is a special physical talent. He might become the dominant WR in the league. From what I know, I'd have tagged him. Maybe I don't know everything like Graves said on the radio. If I was in control, he'd still have a minimum of one year on his deal. So? He's gone. Someone scoop the turd out of the punchbowl and start the dance again. Let's move on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Boston is a special physical talent. He might become the dominant WR in the league. From what I know, I'd have tagged him. Maybe I don't know everything like Graves said on the radio. If I was in control, he'd still have a minimum of one year on his deal. So? He's gone. Someone scoop the turd out of the punchbowl and start the dance again. Let's move on.

hey - I didn't start the thread - I just responded to it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
hey - I didn't start the thread - I just responded to it.

Me too. Nothing personal cheesebeef.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin <p>Have you read the rest of my post? The reason why it's the easy way out is because that's what the fans wanted them to do. If they had done that, we wouldn't have had the hue and outcry from the fans and they could have put off dealing with it until a trade came along or the season rolled around. That's the easy way and that's the way it was always done with this organization. They've changed their method of operation. I can't make it any plainer than that so if you can't understand this, you'll just have to take my word for it.

OK, we're talking about 2 different things now. From a PR standpoint there's no question that tagging Boston was the easiest (and smartest) thing to do. You're right about that.

But in this post you're listing reasons from a football related standpoint. I.E: trades, injuries, attitudes etc.

Let me clarify further:

I'm sure the Cards considered all these things before they made the decision not to tag him. Is this the right choice?? Only time will tell, but at least they made a decision and didn't take the easy way out.

OK, in this quote you're referencing "things" from the previous paragraph, including the trade, injury, and attitude factors.

You're not talking about PR or the fans perspective. That's not even mentioned once in the opening paragraph. It's strictly football related and then followed up with the "easy way out" reference.

Hence my question:

According to your (1st) paragraph, tagging a "drugee", "pain in the butt" clubhouse cancer with a high injury risk that drops catchable balls is the easy way out?

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
How many TD's did Boston have while he was in AZ I'll answer that 18 total in 4 years YESSSSSSSS thats what you are crying about 18 TD's, comeon Harrison has 73 TD's in 8 years, hell even Torry Holt has 23 in 4 and I really feel Holt is overrated, Boston is all about potential, I'm really glad somebody else is paying right now to see IF.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinetopred
How many TD's did Boston have while he was in AZ I'll answer that 18 total in 4 years YESSSSSSSS thats what you are crying about 18 TD's, comeon Harrison has 73 TD's in 8 years, hell even Torry Holt has 23 in 4 and I really feel Holt is overrated, Boston is all about potential, I'm really glad somebody else is paying right now to see IF.

Talk about misinformation while stating the facts. Has Boston's TD count been low? Very low. Let me ask you something. How did the Cards red zone chances compare to the Colts or the Rams over that time period? I'd say not very favorably. The fact is, he had a weak-armed QB that often missed him ten yards short and even threw interceptions when he was wide open down the field. The fact is, we were not in the red zone near as many times as those other two teams, another factor that will severely llimit a WRs TD count.

Man, are you just grasping at straws to make this look more favorable? He was injured badly last year. Chalk it up to injuries. it was a good enough excuse for Jake so long. The year before, he led the league in receiving. Yes, he had more than Marvin the Martian. The year before that, he had a breakout year with over 1,000 yds receiving. The year before that, he was a rookie, and rookie WRs don't generally make an impact.

So, this is only quote-unquote, 'potential'? Yeah, right. Sounds like sour grapes from a Cards fan to me. Don't get me wrong-I'm upset he's gone. I'm simply unwilling to denounce his talent now that he has left.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm simply unwilling to denounce his talent now that he has left.

Right on. We will regret this move IMO.

I think what blunder we had here will displace the biggest sports mistake in Arizona History.....Dennis Johnson of the Suns to the Celtics for Rick Robey....That was the worst. But letting Boston go without any comp or trying to sign him takes the cake.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Stout I have stated a number of times WR's are dependent on the QB and the offense that they are in, thats why I don't overvalue them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinetopred
Stout I have stated a number of times WR's are dependent on the QB and the offense that they are in, thats why I don't overvalue them.

Some of them are, but the truly great ones transcend their QB, coach, and system. I think that's the kind of WR that DB is. He put up gaudy stats with a mediocre (at best) QB. Can you imagine what DB could do if he had Peyton, or Marino, or Elway, or Vick throwing to him. If he remains healthy, he'll finish in the Top 10 WRs of the league through the life of him contract in SD with a crappy/middling QB like Brees.

If we had gotten Leftwich and kept DB, we would have been scary this season on O, even with Leftwich as a rook. Now, we'll have bad WRs with potential to be decent, a RB we'll be basing the O around a back who is just all right at best, and the last free agent standing under center.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing Boston, hell I was one of the first guys that went out and bought a Boston jersey when we drafted him. I can only say the same thing on this subject so many times, everyone has a right to disagree. I think that will be the last thing I say on Boston he doesn't play here anymore I wish him well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison