My Dream Draft

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My previous mock drafts have been my predictions of what I think the Cardinals will do. These are the players I would select.

6. QB Byron Leftwich, Marshall

37. RB Willis McGahee, Miami

70. DE/LB Antwaan Peek, Cincinnati

102. DE Jimmy Wilkerson, Oklahoma

141. WR Nate Burleson, Nevada

177. DT Colin Cole, Iowa

210. WR Carl Morris, Harvard

220. DT Tim Love, Harding

Leftwich has the unique talent and charisma to get the Cardinals to the Super Bowl. McGahee has the best value of any player at #37 and would be impossible to pass up. With Emmitt in the fold, McGahee wouldn't have to be rushed. In two years, could be one of the top five RBs in the NFL. Peek is the closest player in the draft to Roosevelt Colvin and immediately improves the pass rush as a situational rusher. Wilkerson is very under-rated. IMO, just as talented as McDougle or Kelsay. Burleson has the entire package and the heart to go with it. Cole is vastly under-rated, a real stalwart despite lack of height. Morris and Love are sleepers with excellent long-range potential.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Walter I know these are guys you want. But our most glaring need is Defense and alot of it. Yet your first two picks dont even address that.

Not to mention that McGahee is a HUGE question mark especially since its a position we have 0 need for.

Plus to count on Peek being there in the 3rd is a longshot IMO!

If our draft went like that I would shoot myself!

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
6.Leftwich QB-how can you draft him?Everyone knows we have our "QB of the future" and his name is Josh McCown.:rolleyes:

37.McGahee RB-not a area of need

70.Peek OLB/DE- okay

102.Wilkerson DE - Why not a CB to play in the nickel and Dime who has some speed.

141.Burleson WR -okay

177.Cole DT-okay

210.Morris WR-?

220.Love DT- ?

Reaction score
IMO a good sraft that would address the Cardinal needs and pick who I think would be good to excellent talent at the position selected would go like this:

1. Terrell Suggs DE - meets what I feel is the#1 need an adequate pass rush.

2. Dave Ragone QB - I think that this is a very deep QB class and in most other years Ragone would have gone much higher.

3. Al Johnson C - With Grutts gone I think that this kid could step in and be the starting center from day 1. ( Mac and his whole coaching staff supposedly flew to Wisconsin to watch his workout.)

4. Justin Gage WR - Has the size (6'4"), the speed( 4.42 ), and the desire to be a #1 receiver. IMO if he is available here it would be the steal of the draft.:thumbup:

These moves would be a tremendous draft that would pay dividends for years IMO.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
My dream draft:

Trade with Jets our #6 for thier #13 & #22, trade with NO our #13 & 3rd rounder for thier #17 & #18. Then pick:

#17 - EJ Henderson LB
#18 - Andre Woolfolk DB
#22 - Chris Kelsey DE
#37 - Kelly Washington WR

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Walter Mitchell
My previous mock drafts have been my predictions of what I think the Cardinals will do. These are the players I would select.

102. DE Jimmy Wilkerson, Oklahoma

I have Wilkerson on my sleeper list too. Anybody know his current weight he's been listed between about 240 and 260 at various times this year. THat's the primary concern he's a bit too small and if he bulks up he might lose his quickness.

NFL draftblitz rates him a 3rd rounder, I've seen others have him quite a bit lower. OU listed him at 260 this year but I'm told he was not that heavy. VEry productive college player always in the backfield but he played on a heck of a team of course.

Mrospi

Reaction score
My Dream draft.... we trade #6 to New Orleans for #17 & #18

17- Boss Bailey LB
18- Andre Woolfolk CB
37- Jeff Faine C
70- Antwan Peek DE
102- Tully Banta-Cain DE
141- Kassim Osgood WR
177- Walter Young WR
210- Sultan McCullough RB....speed pick this late
220- Ken Dorsey/Brooks Bollinger/Brad Banks QB project!!!

ok...comments... concerns....tried to be fair and figure where the guys might fall along with our team needs....

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dream Draft:

1. (6) Terrell Suggs DE
2. (37) Bryant Johnson WR
3. (70) Drayton Florence CB
4. (102) Justin Gage WR
5. (141) Colin Cole DT
6. (177) Matt Wilhelm MLB
6b. (210) Sulton McCullough RB
7. (220) Shurron Pierson DE

I was tempted to subsititute 2. (37)Polamalu S (Runs 4.38. Consider for CB).

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mrospi
My Dream draft.... we trade #6 to New Orleans for #17 & #18

17- Boss Bailey LB
18- Andre Woolfolk CB
37- Jeff Faine C
70- Antwan Peek DE
102- Tully Banta-Cain DE
141- Kassim Osgood WR
177- Walter Young WR
210- Sultan McCullough RB....speed pick this late
220- Ken Dorsey/Brooks Bollinger/Brad Banks QB project!!!

ok...comments... concerns....tried to be fair and figure where the guys might fall along with our team needs....

Boss Bailey???

I concede that he is probably one of the 10 best athletes in this draft class, but the guy just seems to lack football talent. Besides, if we are indeed trading down for a LB, it needs to be EJ Henderson from Maryland. The guy is an Urlacher clone with a better college football resume.

I suspect Bailey may be able to put together a somewhat decent career as a special teamer, but I don't think he will make it as an everydown NFL player. The guy is Michael Stone II - avoid at all costs!!!.

Side note, our biggest liability is we cant stop the run. I expect us to go DT with the #6 pick. This will solidify our interior DL and create opportunities for KVB & DJ to rush from the ends without completely ignoring their rush defensive duties as so many pass rushing ends seem to do of late. If you dont like DJ, slide Wendell out to end and bring in Russell Davis. Additionally, we can use our fast OLB's in Thompson and Fisher to apply additional pressure on the QB. Our taking a DT with "tallent" gives our defensive front seven incredible flexability. Far more than a situational guy like Suggs.

Just my opinion.

Go Cards!!!

Mrospi

Reaction score
I struggled with the pick of Boss Bailey there, but it's his athletic ability that makes me take him there.... He may not be Colvin, but his athletic ability reminds me of him alot.....it's all speculation anyway, that's what makes it fun

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Lets post a real dream draft:

#6 Suggs
#37 Leftwich
#70 Robertson
#102 Newman
#141 Rogers
#177 Henderson
#210 Johnson
#220 Trufant

Can we pick this way? Please? :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Capital Card
Boss Bailey???

I concede that he is probably one of the 10 best athletes in this draft class, but the guy just seems to lack football talent. Besides, if we are indeed trading down for a LB, it needs to be EJ Henderson from Maryland. The guy is an Urlacher clone with a better college football resume.

I suspect Bailey may be able to put together a somewhat decent career as a special teamer, but I don't think he will make it as an everydown NFL player. The guy is Michael Stone II - avoid at all costs!!!.

Side note, our biggest liability is we cant stop the run. I expect us to go DT with the #6 pick. This will solidify our interior DL and create opportunities for KVB & DJ to rush from the ends without completely ignoring their rush defensive duties as so many pass rushing ends seem to do of late. If you dont like DJ, slide Wendell out to end and bring in Russell Davis. Additionally, we can use our fast OLB's in Thompson and Fisher to apply additional pressure on the QB. Our taking a DT with "tallent" gives our defensive front seven incredible flexability. Far more than a situational guy like Suggs.

Just my opinion.

Go Cards!!!

I wouldn't call Henderson an Urlacher clone, since Urlacher is a much faster player, but not quite as physical. I would compare Henderson more to Eric Hill.

My biggest draft rule:

I would never take a linebacker in round one. Good linebackers can be had later in the draft. Colvin, Jeremiah Trotter, Diggs, Dexter Coakley, were all not taking in the first.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by JasonKGME
Lets post a real dream draft:

#6 Suggs
#37 Leftwich
#70 Robertson
#102 Newman
#141 Rogers
#177 Henderson
#210 Johnson
#220 Trufant

Can we pick this way? Please? :D

That would suck none of then would sign till mid season and we would have lost all but one game vs Seatle.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I couldn't resist -

6. Andre Johnson WR (alt. Larry Johnson RB)
37. Al Johnson C
70. Ben Johnson OT
102. Todd Johnson S
141. Robert Johnson TE
177. Garry Johnson OT
210. Jeremi Johnson FB
220. Bethel Johnson WR

Or - each round we could simply draft the "best available Johnson."

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
I see many people on this list that seem to think
we will take a DT early (defined as the first three rounds) in this draft. I have a hard time believing that scenario based on the Cardinals actions during the free agency period.

1) Russell Davis signed to a 3 year contract.
2) Barron Tanner signed to a 3 year contract.
3) Wendell Bryant drafted last year with a full training camp this year.
4) Marcus Bell in the mix.

I'm not saying they will not draft a DT, but it will not be until the second day.

More likely a DE will be drafted on day 1.:wave:

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jeff: You are cracking me up, man! Too funny! All I can say is, when are you ever going to stop letting your "Johnson" do all the thinking?

The big debate about the draft is drafting for need or drafting for top value. The Cardinals almost always seem to draft for need at the expense of bypassing better players. I believe this has got to change. For example, the Cardinals keep drafting a glut (antonym for dearth!) of DTs. Just in the past three years they have drafted SEVEN DTs: Wendell Bryant (#1), Darwin Walker (#3), Marcus Bell (#4), Nate Dwyer (#4), Mao Tosi (#5), Mario Fatafehi (#5) Jabarri Issa (#6)...yet it's entirely possible that they will draft another DT with the #6 pick this year. NONE of the se players has started more than three games for the Cardinals (two UFAs instead, Russell Davis and Barron Tanner have been the starters). Right now, Marcus Bell, a 4th round pick, might be the best of the batch, although we are all hoping to see a world of difference in Wendell Bryant this year.

The Sporting News has the Cardinals drafting WR Billy McMullen is the 2nd round...purely a NEED pick. Let me ask all of you this. Does McMullen have more value as a second round pick than Willis McGahee? McMullen might develop as a decent #2 WR in his career, but McGahee might very well emerge as one of the elite RBs in the NFL over the next four years. Do the Cardinals need another RB right now? No. But, will the Cardinals be a better team with McGahee three years from now? Emmitt will be gone, Shipp will be in the final year of his contract...what will the Cardinals have to do?...spend another first round pick on a RB? (see Thomas Jones). Not if McGahee is in the fold. The other scenario is what if Shipp continues to blossom into an outstanding RB...McGahee would give the team tremendous trade value in case it needed to make a trade. Would McMullen have the same trade value? This is what I mean about value. The Cardinals have rarely understood this concept...which is why their drafts have been so suspect.

The other aspect about value that is often overlooked is the general parity of the talent pool that enters the draft every year. For example, there is really not much difference talent-wise between first round prospect DE Chris Kelsay and third-fourth round prospect DE Jimmy Wilkerson. In fact Wilkerson may turn out to be the better pro. If the Cardinals can get players of similar talent later in the draft than earlier, it would allow them to draft for value instead of need.

This is why talent scouts often say...after the first five or six picks...it's a crap shoot.

The Cardinals will have a chance to draft an elite player at #6. But, if all of them are future All-Pros, which one would have the greatest value? If a QB with Leftwich's talent is in the mix, unquestionably he would have the greatest value...the same reason why QBs get the biggest contracts. A great QB gives the team the chance to win every game. A mediocre QB doesn't. A great DE is nice, but not as important as a QB. Not nearly. This is why Byron Leftwich is a no brainer selection at #6 if he is on the board. It's tempting to draft for need...and glaring needs at that...but bypassing the rare opportunity to draft a franchise QB in favor of addressing immediate needs is a flat-out mistake.

What are the odds that Jeff Blake or Josh McCown will lead the Cardinals to the Super Bowl? Remote at best. Byron Leftwich throws a better ball than Peyton Manning...and comes into the league with a top five arm.

Another question...if all the players in the NFL were thrown into a new draft...the league was starting over from scratch and the Cardinals had the first pick...who would they take? Mike Vick or Simeon Rice? No brainer. Same holds true in this draft...and should in ANY draft.

The Cardinals have to start eying the Super Bowl...not the playoffs...or a respectful 8-8 season...the Super Bowl. That's the ultimate prize and goal.

Seizing the opportunity to draft Byron Leftwich and Willis McGahee would be a major step forward in bringing a Super Bowl quality team into the new stadium...when the franchise will find itself in the midst of a frenzy. Once the Cardinals play in a dome and get out of the scorching heat, Arizona will become the Tampa Bay Bucs West of the NFL. Free agents will want to flock here. A flock of new Cardinals...with a new purpose...a new sense of identity and new Super Bowl mindset.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see many people on this list that seem to think
we will take a DT early
The only thing firm we have to go on was a Graves remark in the wake of losing Holliday that the Cards would probably use a couple of picks on defensive linemen. He wasn't specific as to whether they would both be edge rushers or just one.

I think folks are logically concluding that one will be an edge guy and the other (because the Cards had expressed an interest in getting to know Robertson better) a DT. But we really don't know.

Looking at it coldly and analytically, the current crop consists of a highly regarded DT we hope will fulfill his potential plus Bell, Tanner and Davis (and you might as well throw in Dwyer). In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind seeing a stud-like guy in Robertson playing next to Wendell inside. So maybe other folks on this board are drawing the same conclusions.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
The Cardinals have to start eying the Super Bowl...not the playoffs...or a respectful 8-8 season...the Super Bowl. That's the ultimate prize and goal.

Seizing the opportunity to draft Byron Leftwich and Willis McGahee would be a major step forward in bringing a Super Bowl quality team into the new stadium...when the franchise will find itself in the midst of a frenzy. Once the Cardinals play in a dome and get out of the scorching heat, Arizona will become the Tampa Bay Bucs West of the NFL. Free agents will want to flock here. A flock of new Cardinals...with a new purpose...a new sense of identity and new Super Bowl mindset.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

THAT is something to build on.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff: You are cracking me up, man! Too funny! All I can say is, when are you ever going to stop letting your "Johnson" do all the thinking?

The big debate about the draft is drafting for need or drafting for top value. The Cardinals almost always seem to draft for need at the expense of bypassing better players. I believe this has got to change. For example, the Cardinals keep drafting a glut (antonym for dearth!) of DTs. Just in the past three years they have drafted SEVEN DTs: Wendell Bryant (#1), Darwin Walker (#3), Marcus Bell (#4), Nate Dwyer (#4), Mao Tosi (#5), Mario Fatafehi (#5) Jabarri Issa (#6)...yet it's entirely possible that they will draft another DT with the #6 pick this year. NONE of the se players has started more than three games for the Cardinals (two UFAs instead, Russell Davis and Barron Tanner have been the starters). Right now, Marcus Bell, a 4th round pick, might be the best of the batch, although we are all hoping to see a world of difference in Wendell Bryant this year.

The Sporting News has the Cardinals drafting WR Billy McMullen is the 2nd round...purely a NEED pick. Let me ask all of you this. Does McMullen have more value as a second round pick than Willis McGahee? McMullen might develop as a decent #2 WR in his career, but McGahee might very well emerge as one of the elite RBs in the NFL over the next four years. Do the Cardinals need another RB right now? No. But, will the Cardinals be a better team with McGahee three years from now? Emmitt will be gone, Shipp will be in the final year of his contract...what will the Cardinals have to do?...spend another first round pick on a RB? (see Thomas Jones). Not if McGahee is in the fold. The other scenario is what if Shipp continues to blossom into an outstanding RB...McGahee would give the team tremendous trade value in case it needed to make a trade. Would McMullen have the same trade value? This is what I mean about value. The Cardinals have rarely understood this concept...which is why their drafts have been so suspect.

Walter how many of those DTs you named were first round picks other than Bryant? I say its pretty hard to say we were making reach/need picks when they were typically lower round picks.

I can honestly say I dont know a whole hell of a lot about Billy Mcmullen but I do know that Mcgahee regardless of how his workout turns out is more of a question mark simply because of his injury. Not to mention the guy is what 20 years old and has already had 2 major knee injuries? I dont care how fast he heals that is a HUGE RED FLAG!

You are correct that Emmitt will most likely be gone in two years but as long as this team shows some vision like they have been Marcell will know that he is going to be the guy here and the team will once again lock him up early and tell him that he will be the main man. It is far to early to speculate and say he is going to be gone.

That really is our position of absolute least need. I understand the best available theory but once again when you have such a glaring need on the D-line you better fix it somehow and take a chance. Because when you miss out on all FA opportunities and you wait until round 3 of the draft to try and fix it you are really asking for trouble.

Im sorry but I just could not bare to watch another season of 20 or less sacks and QBs having as much as 10 seconds to throw the ball!

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Russell Davis was a 2nd round pick by the Bears
in 1999 that was waived in August of 2000.

While he was a UFA for the Cards, not an undrafted
UFA.

AzWins23

Reaction score
#1 Terrell Suggs DE
#2 Antwann Peek DE
#3 Tyrone Calico WR
#4 Dennis Weathersby CB
#5 James Lee DT
#6 Steve Washington C
#6 LeBrandon ToeField RB
#7 Solomon Bates MLB