Free Agents: An early take

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could I have some reason from you or another poster on why we feel Cory Peters and Rodney Gunter (if the team re-signs Gunter) are not viable options at NT in a 3-4? (Not saying it is a dumb idea in any way, shape or form, just curious)

I'm with you.

Xavier Williams, who started for KC this last season, was a backup NT we picked up as a UDFA. Big bodies, serviceable against the run, can be found with later draft capital.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've made my stand, my argument is that the Cardinals should sign Trent Brown. He is the best available tackle and played pretty well at OT this past season. He is a lineman you can tout as your best lineman and not be embarrassed saying so.

He will break the bank, but he would significantly improve the Offensive line.

The one thing I DON'T want to see is for the Cardinals to throw big money on a guard.
i dont know trent brown, but the dude is huge, probably the heaviest tackle in the league, my question,does he have enough agility to play left tackle or he fond his plays with arm lenght and tecnique?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
i dont know trent brown, but the dude is huge, probably the heaviest tackle in the league, my question,does he have enough agility to play left tackle or he fond his plays with arm lenght and tecnique?

He played LT last year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could I have some reason from you or another poster on why we feel Cory Peters and Rodney Gunter (if the team re-signs Gunter) are not viable options at NT in a 3-4? (Not saying it is a dumb idea in any way, shape or form, just curious)

There are some guys in free agency available and a couple good prospects in the draft, no doubt.

But, Gunter is just coming into his own as a pro, and Peters is a good starting caliber player, both of which played well in the 3-4 two years ago.

Again, I would not be surprise if the Cardinals bring in and sign Zach Kerr, who is a NT, and has played in Vance Joseph's system, so that is a possibility, even with bringing Rodney Gunter back.

To throw it out there, my half-assed crazy, ideal situation would be:

1. Re-sign Rodney Gunter and Olsen Pierre

2. Sign Zach Kerr.

3. Sign Malik Jackson.

NT: Cory Peters / Zach Kerr
DE: Malik Jackson / Olsen Pierre
DE: Rodney Gunter / Robert Nkimdiche
I don't think it's a matter of Peters or Gunther not being viable NT options in a 3-4.

The NT position, by its very nature, takes its physical toll, and if we only carried 2, we'd be 1 injury away from disaster. Better we overstock the position early in the process so we can remain "safe."

Question - Are we reasonably sure Peters won't retire before or during next season?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made my stand, my argument is that the Cardinals should sign Trent Brown. He is the best available tackle and played pretty well at OT this past season. He is a lineman you can tout as your best lineman and not be embarrassed saying so.

The one thing I DON'T want to see is for the Cardinals to throw big money on a guard.
Disagree about the guard position. Saw an interesting stat that claimed when Brady was sacked by an outside rusher he is 14-2. When sacked by an inside rusher he had a losing record. Think I heard it on tv and not sure how far back they were going but the analysis was he’s able to set up or slide away from an outside rush but he becomes less effective when pressure is in his face. Make sense because he really isn’t mobile.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of Peters or Gunther not being viable NT options in a 3-4.

The NT position, by its very nature, takes its physical toll, and if we only carried 2, we'd be 1 injury away from disaster. Better we overstock the position early in the process so we can remain "safe."

Question - Are we reasonably sure Peters won't retire before or during next season?

???

Why is his retirement even a question?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because we're trying to gauge how stable the NT position is and considering all possibilities.

Ok... are we reasonably sure he won't suffer a car accident, boat accident or slip in the shower?

All possibilities, so we should prepare.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok... are we reasonably sure he won't suffer a car accident, boat accident or slip in the shower?

All possibilities, so we should prepare.
70 years rooting for the Cardinals has given me the proper level of paranoia.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Just a quick list of players and thoughts.

* = A player a personally like

Cardinals Current Free Agents on their Roster:

Mike Iupati, LG – Should not be resigned. Injury prone, expensive and a better run blocker than a pass blocker.

Phil Dawson, K – Should not be resigned. See the last 3 years.

Deone Bucannon, ILB – Should not be resigned. The experience of putting a SS at ILBer is over. If the Cardinals want to put a safety out there on passing downs, put Zeke Turner out there.

*Tre Boston, FS – Probably not going to be resigned, with Swearinger on the roster now, yet may be the best pure FS on the roster. Maybe cut Bethea and play Boston and Swearinger ?

Benson Mayowa, DE – Probably not going to be resigned with the switch back to the 3-4. Was solid last year.

Marcus Golden, OLB – One would hope if he is resigned it is at a smart price. He has had 1 good year.

*Joseph Barksdale, RT – Should be resigned. He is a starting RT tackle, and the Cardinals need one.

*Rodney Gunter, DE – Should be resigned. He is a solid depth player no matter the scheme.

Olsen Pierre, DE – As a RFA, he should be tendered. Played well in a 3-4, in the past.

John Wetzel, OT – As a RFA, he should be tendered. Has been a solid backup at OL.

DJ Foster, RB – As a RFA, he should be tendered. He will be a good role player in a passing offense.

Ricky Seals-Jones, TE – As a ERFA, it is not really much of a decision or risk. #RobHouslerpart2

Jeremy Cash, ILB – As a RFA, hook looked solid playing on the inside last year before he was hurt.

JJ Nelson, WR – Should not be resigned. He can go drop passes for Arians in Tampa Bay.

The rest listed below are none factors, or camp fodder if signed:

John Phillips, TE

Derrick Coleman, FB

Oday Aboushi, OG

Gerald Hodges, ILB

Zach Moore, DE

Jeremy Vujnovich, OG

Gabe Martin, ILB

Darrell Daniels, TE

Daniel Munyer, OC/OG

2019: Free Agents (as it stands 02-08-19)

QB:
Maybe pick up Nic Shimoneck for camp fodder, and possible 3rd QB role ?

RB:
You know Keim will want to look at Ameer Abdullah, but no reason to no stick with Johnson, Edmonds, Foster, and Logan, unless Foster has not recovered. Maybe Charcandrick West if Foster cannot go?

WR:
(Slim Pickings)

- Tyrell Williams

- Jamison Crowder

- Chris Conley

- Keep an eye on RFA: Robbie Anderson ?

TE:
(Keep in mind I am one of the fringe amateur "capologist" that thinks the Cardinals can cut Jermaine Gresham as a June 1st cut for 6.25 mil in savings)

EDIT: This statement is wrong and the cap websites have updated their info, to prove it is wrong. See below for details. Because of this, I would say MAYBE the Cardinals pick up a tight end out of the two in bold below.

- Marcedes Lewis

- Lance Kendricks

- *Maxx Williams

- Tyler Kroft

- Jesse James

- CJ Uzomah

OT:
(Humphries at LT, Barksdale at RT) If not Barksdale.....

- Bobby Hart, RT

- Jordan Mills, RT

- Ja’Wuan James, RT

OG:

- Rodger Saffold $$$

- Ramon Foster $$$

- *DJ Fluker

- AJ Cann

OC:
Mason Cole and AQ Shipley will be fine.

DT:
Nkimdiche, Gunter (DT/NT), Pierre, Peters (NT)

- Not surprised if Zach Kerr is signed (Joseph guy)

- Henry Anderson

- Brent Urban

- *Christian Covington

OLB:
(C.Jones, Bosa/Allen, [Golden*], ???)

- Jadeveon Clowney/Dee Ford $$$ (pipe dreams)

- Not surprised if Shane Ray is signed (Joseph guy)

- Za’Darius Smith

- Preston Smith

ILB:
(Haason Reddick, Josh Bynes)

- *CJ Mosley $$$

- *Denzel Perryman

- Kwon Alexander

- Jake Ryan (depth)

- Ramik Wilson (depth)

CB:
(Peterson, ______, Robert Alford, _______, Amerson?)

- Bradley Roby

- Morris Claiborne

- Justin Coleman

- Bryce Callahan

- *Pierre Desir

- BW Webb (depth)

- PJ Williams (depth)

S:

(Bethea, Baker, Swearinger, Ford)

Got enough competition at safety, IMO.
really great write-up

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone convince me that Nkemdiche will contribute in a meaningful way .....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Someone convince me that Nkemdiche will contribute in a meaningful way .....

Will he even be healthy enough to play by week one? If I remember right he had a significant injury.

He has been such a disappointment

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed. I think they have made that mistake enough throughout the years.

The latest talk is Trent Brown is going to be franchised tagged by NE, FYI.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Based on moves so far Keim is planning to primarily fix defense through FA and offense through Draft

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Based on moves so far Keim is planning to primarily fix defense through FA and offense through Draft

Probably a little too early to judge, has anyone been released offensively that would have made sense to sign right now? We'll have a better grasp on this next month when free agency is actually open.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Probably a little too early to judge, has anyone been released offensively that would have made sense to sign right now? We'll have a better grasp on this next month when free agency is actually open.

Golden Tate is a FA

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you look at the current projected FA's, it makes sense to use FA to boost the defense, but nothing will be used exclusively.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard