Most Interesting players in 2021 per the Athletic

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

12. Kyler Murray, QB, Arizona Cardinals

By just about any measure, the Cardinals’ offense was disappointing last season. After finishing 13th in efficiency in year one under Murray and Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona fell to 19th in year two. There were stretches where it felt like the offense was completely reliant on Murray or DeAndre Hopkins doing something special, and when that didn’t happen, Arizona was lost.

On the other hand, maybe there’s a simpler explanation to the Cardinals’ struggles: Murray’s shoulder injury. In the first eight weeks of last season, before his injury, the Cardinals performed like the NFL’s seventh-best offense (EPA per play). In the final nine weeks after his injury, they fell all the way to 26th. It would have to be considered a major disappointment to not make the playoffs in Murray’s first three seasons.

You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Whats hilarious about people on this board is they routinely stick up for Shanahans failures as a coach when Jimmy G gets hurt, but don't see how when Murray is obviously much less effective that Kingsburys offense is going to struggle.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or maybe K1 - like many youngsters - thought his way into a ditch he'll have to play his way out oh.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anyone else starting to worry that Kyler has one weapon he can rely on?

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
What’s funny TO ME, is all the people saying “we were one win from the playoffs; stop your ********,” as if everyone here is so stupid to forget the fact we go off hot and coasted into 8-8 with a bone dry gas tank. That finish was inexcusable (the entire league figured us out).

but ya, it must have all been kylers shoulder.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Anyone else starting to worry that Kyler has one weapon he can rely on?
Nope.

The only gaps I see are mid-range passing accuracy (10 to 20yds) and high throws over the middle causing INT's. Both are correctable.

My main issue (for the last 18 months) is sticking with a very mediocre play caller and an even worse man-manager in our HC position. He's clearly the worst coach in this division....... At best, the third best play caller....... And probably bottom 10 in the league as a HC at this point.

Meanwhile...... we continue to waste Kyler's entire rookie contract because our GM may be worse than our HC.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nope.

The only gaps I see are mid-range passing accuracy (10 to 20yds) and high throws over the middle causing INT's. Both are correctable.

My main issue (for the last 18 months) is sticking with a very mediocre play caller and an even worse man-manager in our HC position. He's clearly the worst coach in this division....... At best, the third best play caller....... And probably bottom 10 in the league as a HC at this point.

Meanwhile...... we continue to waste Kyler's entire rookie contract because our GM may be worse than our HC.
Sorry, I meant players. Hop is Hop, but all our high end WR are perpetually injured, and Conner/Edmonds haven't been pillars of durability. We completely ignored TE, in spite of the fact that Dan Freaking Arnold was one of Kyler's favorite targets in the second half of the season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he lobbed a ball it would still be a lazer.

His clap slap is so amazing refs throw flags just to call attention to it.

He once allowed a Defensive Lineman to catch him just to see how it feels.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s funny TO ME, is all the people saying “we were one win from the playoffs; stop your ********,” as if everyone here is so stupid to forget the fact we go off hot and coasted into 8-8 with a bone dry gas tank. That finish was inexcusable (the entire league figured us out).

yeah, just posting "we're one win away from the playoffs last year" without the context of acknowledging that even with an easy schedule, we were a complete and utter disaster the last 7 games is a really specious argument.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Whats hilarious about people on this board is they routinely stick up for Shanahans failures as a coach when Jimmy G gets hurt, but don't see how when Murray is obviously much less effective that Kingsburys offense is going to struggle.
There’s a chasm between your QB playing dinged up and having to play your third string QB.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just hope Kyler starts to ditch the pouting attitude. He's in year 3, and if the problem is KK...he needs to make that known, or he needs to over-ride him by changing plays.

Right now, every time something doesnt go his way, he sits on the sidelines by himself and pouts...and often times it seems like it was his mistake....so that is not a good look to teammates.

IMO either KK is has been coddling Kyler, or vice versa...but it has to stop in the name of winning games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just hope Kyler starts to ditch the pouting attitude. He's in year 3, and if the problem is KK...he needs to make that known, or he needs to over-ride him by changing plays.

Right now, every time something doesnt go his way, he sits on the sidelines by himself and pouts...and often times it seems like it was his mistake....so that is not a good look to teammates.

IMO either KK is has been coddling Kyler, or vice versa...but it has to stop in the name of winning games.
This would be absolute disaster. I NEVER want to see that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also funny how they figured us out right after Kyler injured his shoulder

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also funny how they figured us out right after Kyler injured his shoulder
And that the Niners totally figured him out after he passed and ran wild over Philadelphia the previous week when he looked healthy again... or just played a horrific D.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that the Niners totally figured him out after he passed and ran wild over Philadelphia the previous week when he looked healthy again... or just played a horrific D.

Not following, he hurt his shoulder against Seattle in the 10th game. The first 10 games he had 2 games with under 200 yards passing, Carolina(he was terrible) and Dallas a blowout win where we ran wild on them so Kyler didn't have to throw the ball all that much, he wasn't good, it was also the game where twice Isabella lost a ball in the lights that might have been a TD or Kyler's 2 TD 188 yards might have been 4 TD's and 250 yards. But 2 bad passing games in the first 10. First 9 games he had 7 games with at least 60 yards rushing. In the 10th game he hurt the shoulder and topped 60 yards ONCE the rest of the season.

Games 10-12 he had 5 runs in each game after 46 in the prior 4 games. It was just obvious he was protecting the shoulder by not running as much.

What teams figured out IMO is Kyler is protecting his shoulder and doesn't want to run as much so they changed how they defended us which made it harder for him to throw the ball and harder for the RB's to run the ball because they were far less worried Kyler was going to run.

The Philly game was the only game after the injury he even topped 250 yards passing. You seem to think that's because people figured him out, i think it was because his throwing shoulder was hurt and he just wasn't the same guy, and wasn't running so he was much easier to "figure out." The Philly game was an outlier due to their defense.

NE was the first game after the Seattle injury and after that game we kept hearing oh they figured him out. in that game Kirk dropped a TD pass right in his hands, pretty sure it was on the same drive where Kenyan Drake was ruled short on the last play of the half when in order for him to NOT be in the endzone his lower body would have had to be 90% of his body length. He clearly scored but they couldn't see it on replay so they couldn't overturn it. We would have won the game with either of those plays. Even with all that we got into FG range late, Kliff turtled and ran it, we came up short and then Zane missed a 45 yarder NE went down and won the game after that crazy roughing call on Simmons where Newton slowed up on 3rd and 13 and replay clearly showed both feet inbounds when Simmons hit him. They got the first went down and won it and the teams have figured out Kyler headline was born.

If Zane makes it and or they don't blow that call we win that game and we make the playoffs in spite of the injury. It's why I'm so happy Zane was replaced.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nope.

I thought you were pro Kiff?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I thought you were pro Kiff?
Nah….. I initially liked the hire and thought it was bold. That quickly changed as I got a closer look at his horizontal passing attack. Kylers game is outside the numbers and down the field. This guy is all yac yards with a few shots. I also hated Hops usage last year.

Ive been off him for 18 months now and thought we should have fired him in Jan.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nah….. I initially liked the hire and thought it was bold. That quickly changed as I got a closer look at his horizontal passing attack. Kylers game is outside the numbers and down the field. This guy is all yac yards with a few shots. I also hated Hops usage last year.

Ive been off him for 18 months now and thought we should have fired him in Jan.
The thing is we dont know if the horizontal offense is primarily Kliff trying to compensate for Kyler's lack of intermediate game. Maybe he'll figure it out in time, but this is just Kliff's way to keep Kyler confident. Cant defend Hops usage though.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This would be absolute disaster. I NEVER want to see that.
In key moments, the QB has to take charge. If they don't have the eggs to change a play on the fly in order to win games, they can't be a QB in the Nfl.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In key moments, the QB has to take charge. If they don't have the eggs to change a play on the fly in order to win games, they can't be a QB in the Nfl.
There’s a world of difference between audibles and changing plays bc you don’t faith in the coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr