Miller may have found his point guard for next year

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furthering your point. There are fans of other schools who think Lyons will not help the Cats as much as UofA fans believe.

I think it's too early to say. It's a risk, Lyons was outright asked to leave by a coach who'd been around him for 4 years(including his RS year) because the kid told him he didn't think the goals Cronin laid down for his senior year were "important". Miller knows the kid too obviously but there's a risk, everyone remembers the fight with Cincy but he was also disciplined last year for hitting a St. Bonaventure player with an elbow that apparently wasn't caught on tv tapes but was caught on the Xavier game tapes. It happened after the Cincy incident.

And he's never played PG in college. He's obviously talented but he's a volume shooter with a fairly pedestrian A/To ratio so while he has the physical tools and is a very tough kid, there's no guarantee he'll actually be a good PG.

I get why Miller took the gamble, he had no PG on the roster and Lyons is a much better ball handler than any of Mayes, Johnson or York, but there is a risk. He's a guy who at Xavier took a lot of shots, that might not sit well with a whole new team if he does that at Arizona.

It's a calculated risk, but I get why Miller took it, a little surprised given how Turner panned out but they needed a PG. They're pretty set up after that with McConnell and then possibly PJC or another one(I'm actually starting to think Jordan McLaughlin will be a better college player than PJC I just love that kid).
This is a one year gamble with Lyons.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
I think it's too early to say. It's a risk, Lyons was outright asked to leave by a coach who'd been around him for 4 years(including his RS year) because the kid told him he didn't think the goals Cronin laid down for his senior year were "important". Miller knows the kid too obviously but there's a risk, everyone remembers the fight with Cincy but he was also disciplined last year for hitting a St. Bonaventure player with an elbow that apparently wasn't caught on tv tapes but was caught on the Xavier game tapes. It happened after the Cincy incident.

And he's never played PG in college. He's obviously talented but he's a volume shooter with a fairly pedestrian A/To ratio so while he has the physical tools and is a very tough kid, there's no guarantee he'll actually be a good PG.

I get why Miller took the gamble, he had no PG on the roster and Lyons is a much better ball handler than any of Mayes, Johnson or York, but there is a risk. He's a guy who at Xavier took a lot of shots, that might not sit well with a whole new team if he does that at Arizona.

It's a calculated risk, but I get why Miller took it, a little surprised given how Turner panned out but they needed a PG. They're pretty set up after that with McConnell and then possibly PJC or another one(I'm actually starting to think Jordan McLaughlin will be a better college player than PJC I just love that kid).
This is a one year gamble with Lyons.

He was being coached by the Cinci coach while at Xavier? No wonder they wanted him out. ;)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was being coached by the Cinci coach while at Xavier? No wonder they wanted him out. ;)

Whoops, Mack.

I actually had the same concerns with UCLA taking Larry Drew but that was slightly different, he had to sit out a year so he's not as new to the team, the returning players all know him. Plus, Drew is NOT a guy who takes that many shots, he has clear weaknesses(can't shoot) and I hate the way he left UNC(didn't want him) but he's not a selfish player. Lyons was at times selfish.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Lyons went to Xavier to play for Miller, not Mack. Thats a huge difference right there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lyons went to Xavier to play for Miller, not Mack. Thats a huge difference right there.

Yep huge, he played 0 seasons for Miller and 3 for Mack. Miller did coach him his RS(academics) year.

He told Mack he wanted to play PG, that's why he left, he said it clear as day it was a business decision. Mack apparently thinks his backup PG and incoming freshman are going to be the 1's and wanted lyons to play 2 again, he wasn't having it, so they parted ways.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard