Mike Budenholzer - Officially Suns new Head Coach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard this on the radio today. Paraphrasing here, but Ishbia walks into the first team meeting next year, and basically tells the players no more excuses, not gonna change coaches again. All in this together, so buy in, figure it out, and someone step up and lead this team. Personally if we still look like an uninspired mess by mid season, kick Durants malcontent ass out the door
Yup.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He had issues with the Warriors but I don't know that Kerr had anything to do with it, so maybe "all" his coaches isn't fair. He got Kenny Atkinson fired in Brooklyn, despite the Nets having a surprise playoff run, because he wanted to play with Nash... then he got Nash fired, he also used burner twitter accounts to trash his OKC coaches (and teammates).

Passive aggressive malcontent was the perfect description of KD. He burns bridges at every stop.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD has 2 sweeps under his belt over the last 3 years. Both in the first round. He has a postseason record of 6-13 in that timeframe. Nothing pretty about it. Chuck was right all along, he's a bus rider not a driver. Problem is he thinks the bus is following him and for the most part it has, to a bad neighborhood where none of the passengers wanted to be. The driver needs to quit following him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker, the team leader, was A+ a few years ago, he was the guy having almost the entire team spend the off season together, playing scrimmages and working out together to build chemistry. I think that played a huge factor in our turnaround as a franchise.

NBA players have always idolized the previous generation. Yeah, KD is not someone I think is worthy of looking up to... but Booker does, as do a ton of players, I don't think Kobe was worth looking up to either, for a ton of reasons, but the entire league has canonized him.

I've seen Booker play with passion and be an exemplary leader, I've also recently seen him say "We chillin" when the season was circling the drain.

I certainly don't like the direction he's trended, but I also don't think he's a weak minded imbecile.

Toxic players drag everyone down... and IMO, Durant is toxic... he's also glorified and the coaching staff made him completely unaccountable, which makes his toxicity even more potent.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He had issues with the Warriors but I don't know that Kerr had anything to do with it, so maybe "all" his coaches isn't fair. He got Kenny Atkinson fired in Brooklyn, despite the Nets having a surprise playoff run, because he wanted to play with Nash... then he got Nash fired, he also used burner twitter accounts to trash his OKC coaches (and teammates).
It was a beef with Draymond. GS sided with Draymond, or more basically ignored the situation. So two times NBA Finals MVP walked out of the building. It doesn't seem KD holds it against Kerr, although Kerr has enabled Draymond over the seasons.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a beef with Draymond. GS sided with Draymond, or more basically ignored the situation. So two times NBA Finals MVP walked out of the building. It doesn't seem KD holds it against Kerr, although Kerr has enabled Draymond over the seasons.

Whether its that simple or not, Golden State didn't need him and proved that before he arrived and after he left with titles on both sides of his tenure. I'd rather have another ring than hold onto a 2x Finals MVP.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Whether its that simple or not, Golden State didn't need him and proved that before he arrived and after he left with titles on both sides of his tenure. I'd rather have another ring than hold onto a 2x Finals MVP.

I think they needed him for the 18’ and 19’ finals runs. 2017 vs Cleveland is a toss up but you’re right they’d still have at least one without him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was never really a fan of the Vogel hire. I felt he was a step down from Monty, in spite of all the problems Monty had with Ayton.

I like Bud. I am not over joyed, but I have always liked him as a coach. I think this is a solid hire. The problem is that it might be too late for this aging roster.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I was never really a fan of the Vogel hire. I felt he was a step down from Monty, in spite of all the problems Monty had with Ayton.

I like Bud. I am not over joyed, but I have always liked him as a coach. I think this is a solid hire. The problem is that it might be too late for this aging roster.
aging roster? you mean kd? who was both better and more reliable than both book and beal? kd is our roster?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes we dont have a prime KD or prime BB, we have post prime KD and BB both mid 30's soon, therefor aging.
I don't know that's a big issue. KD the player wasn't the issue. Most players in their prime would jump at the chance to put up the numbers he does. Unless he falls off a cliff I think KD is likely going to put up good numbers for a couple more seasons.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
yes we dont have a prime KD or prime BB, we have post prime KD and BB both mid 30's soon, therefor aging.
Not saying he will play this way next year, but KD had his best year statistically since he was 25 I think the NBA show I was watching said.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not saying he will play this way next year, but KD had his best year statistically since he was 25 I think the NBA show I was watching said.

Counting on KD to maintain this type of play as he gets older is just putting stock into the wrong place.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like that. Fizdale is a straight shooter and having some continuity if for no other reason than to say "We did that, it didn't work" is a good thing.
Isn't that what we said about Kevin Young last year?

Be careful what you wish for. Hopefully Fizdale is a different situation. At least he's a proven good coach, at least more than Young was.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Be careful what you wish for. Hopefully Fizdale is a different situation. At least he's a proven good coach, at least more than Young was.

We didn't.

Vogel was defensive minded and Young was offense and I think thats where the clash was. Not only that, Young wasn't Vogel's selection. Fiz was kept on per Bud.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That isn't what I said about Young.

It doesn't appear that Fizdale is being kept on as a lead assistant charged with running one side of the team either, be it offense or defense. Fizdale wasn't in consideration for the head coaching job here like Kevin Young either. The only similarities is they are both assistants who stuck around after the head coach was replaced. So I'm not going to compare this to Kevin Young since assistants being kept isn't that unusual of a thing in the league.

Be cautious, fine, but I'm not concerned with the coaching staff. If this teams fails it will be on the players and front office more than the coaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player