Mercury Season thread

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Just for you Kate! :thumbup:

I watched some of the Mercury game from Sat.
Great game by Tuarasi, she is really effortless with her shooting.

I was very impressed with her ability to get open. They almost had a let down after building a big lead in the second half. Taurasi turned it over when trying to create down the stretch. I guess her playmaking needs a little work. ;)

Some of the other players look pretty good but they need some rebounding help.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Diana Taurasi league stats:

2nd in PTS/game
1st in 3PT/game
4th in BLKS/game
2nd in FT/game

I too was impressed with DT. Her playmaking and turnovers will get better. I'm a big Kayte Christensen fan, last year she really hustled the games I saw - not the talent Taurasi is but is just as cute :cool:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really do not follow the Mercury much, but I was intrigued by the potential of their former center, Stephanova (sp). Does anyone know if she will be returning to the Mercury some time down the road.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
I too was impressed with DT. Her playmaking and turnovers will get better.

True, Only the second game. DT's turnovers will go down (I hope) once the team has played together a little more.

Mainstreet, I have no idea about Stepanova. I haven't watched a Mercury game in probably three years. I was just curious to see Taurasi play. According to the WNBA website Stepanova has not played since 2001.

Really the WNBA has not been very interesting, and the Mercury have not been very good. I don't imagine I will start watching the "WNBA game of the week" but with the added excitement of the number 1 pick I may be watching the local team a little more often.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I read but don't post at a Mercury message board - the diehards don't seem to even know that question, couldn't answer but she was cute as well ;) - I never got to see her play, atleast I don't think I have. Last year, this year, and a season a few years back are only games I've seen - Mercury don't have every game on Tv either.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great passing always takes time working together. If I remember correctly, Jason Kidd had a lot of turnovers when he first came to the team because players were ready for his passes.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love women's soccer and volleyball. Women's hoops are boring. Within 2 years, the WNBA will fold.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Stepanova probably won't be back. Her boyfriend couldn't get a passport to the US in time for last season or this, I don't remember which, but she decided to stay in Russia and be with him. She was really starting to blossom as a player before her last few games for us. Arguably she was on her way to becoming the best center in the WNBA, if not big position player in general. :D

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Love women's soccer and volleyball. Women's hoops are boring. Within 2 years, the WNBA will fold.

Doesn't the NBA financially support the WNBA? I can't imagine it has been a good investment since day 1, but it will be a large PR hit to the league if they let the womans league fold because they don't want to pay for it anymore.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
Stepanova probably won't be back. Her boyfriend couldn't get a passport to the US in time for last season or this, I don't remember which, but she decided to stay in Russia and be with him.

I would love to see an NBA prospect pull that move sometime. "My girlfriend cant get in the country, there is no way I'm coming over!"

I think we have a new excuss for Pavel to pull out with! :cool:

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I will watch the Mercury if only to see Tarausi play.

From what I have seen she is worth watching.

I think there has been an improvemnet of the talent level in the WNBA. In the end that is the only thing that will save the league. As more young girls grow up and work on basketball the more the quality of play will improve.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Just for you Kate! :thumbup:

You the man! :thumbup:

I haven't been this excited for the Mercury since their inaugural season.

Taurasi is one hell of a player. My biggest wish is that her image will be that one positive influence in a young girl's life. She is definitely someone I would have loved to emulate when I played. Even if the WNBA doesn't get the credit it's due, at least it's players can give back to the little young bball players out there who hope for something more.

Sorry to be sappy, but I really have high hopes for what she's going to bring to this team, city and league.

I might have to suck it up, ignore the butch women and get back to attending some games.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turasi has peeked my interest in the Mercury...I covered a game once, and it was pretty fun, but she is like the LeBron James of the WNBA, and it just naturally makes you interested.

I'll be attending a game this season hopefully.

Mike

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job by the Mercury tonight.

Taurasi scored over 20 points for the 3rd consecutive game - which makes her the first rookie to ever begin with three 20+ point consecutive game.

I wish I could have gone to this opener, but I had to work.

Mercury are off to a 2-1 start. :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
10,493 at the opener. Better than last year, but given the hype I thought it would be higher.

They are only opening the bottom of AWA. Once that sells out, that's it. Unless the playoffs show a great demand for tickets, tou won't see much more than 10.000 for attendance! :)

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Off to a good start.

:thumbup:

Taurasi only 13 points but 5 Reb and 6 assists.

PHOENIX (AP) -- Diana Taurasi came to the Phoenix Mercury billed as a player who makes everyone around her better.

Four games into the season, the assessment looks accurate.

Taurasi had solid all-around game to lead a balanced offense and Phoenix set a franchise record with 11 3-pointers, beating the Houston Comets 73-63 Tuesday night.

Penny Taylor, Anna DeForge and reserve Shereka Wright scored 16 points apiece for the Mercury (3-1), who have won three straight to move into first place in the Western Conference.

Phoenix had the worst record in the WNBA last year and profited by drafting Taurasi No. 1.

"We like being nobodies and coming to the gym and just playing well,'' said Taurasi, who had 13 points, six assists and five rebounds. "We feel like we're a bunch of no-names who get together and win. That's fine with us.''

Tina Thompson had 19 points and Kedra Holland-Corn 15 for the Comets. But Sheryl Swoopes, averaging 15.8 points, didn't have a field goal until 13:51 remained and finished with six points.

Houston, 18-7 against the Mercury coming in, outrebounded Phoenix 28-23, but also committed 20 turnovers.

"We don't want to get ahead of ourselves,'' Mercury coach Carrie Graf said. "Obviously, it was a great win tonight, any time you can beat a team that has as much experience as the one we just played.''

The Mercury made a WNBA season-high 11-of-20 3-pointers -- topping the franchise record of 10 set at Orlando on June 21, 1999. They missed the last five after taking a 63-39 lead on Wright's 22-footer with 13:26 left to play.

The Mercury went up 64-39 when Houston coach Van Chancellor was called for a technical foul and DeForge connected 45 seconds later.

Thompson, a five-time All-Star, blamed the Comets' slow response to Phoenix's ball movement.

"We are doing pretty good on the second rotation, but on the third and fourth pass, they were getting wide-open shots,'' Thompson said. ``I think that is going to be an area of emphasis.''

Phoenix had eight 3-pointers in the first half.

Taurasi made two in 42 seconds late in the half, and DeForge sank a 23-foot buzzer-beater to send the Mercury to a 40-31 lead.

The Mercury missed their first eight shots to start, but got back in it with a 14-4 run that featured 3-pointers by DeForge, Taurasi, Taylor and Wright. Wright's put Phoenix up 24-17 with 5:37 to go.

The Comets held one-point leads twice before Wright's second 3-pointer put Phoenix ahead, 31-29, with 1:47 to play.

The rookie, drafted by Detroit and traded to Phoenix the same day, also was 2-of-2 in the second half.

"Wright had a real coming-out party,'' Chancellor said. "Taurasi and Taylor did about what I thought they would do. We're not getting enough shots; we're turning the ball over too much.''

Djaughe

Reaction score
My family and I got to see Taurasi in action against seattle. She was simply amazing in all aspects of the game on both ends of the court. I have to say she has the best cross-over dribble in the wnba and better than the majority of nba players.

I don't know how many where at the game (5,000-6,000?) - but the fans were pretty rowdy in a fun way. Near the end of the 2nd half - they took a timeout and allowed the kids to swarm the court and form a train. That was funny to see.

On a side note I saw cedric ceballos at the game - he's an assistant coach for the mercury. I guess its just to keep him busy when he's not jet skiing up in havasu.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Mercury squanders 1st-half lead in loss

You must be registered for see images
advertisement
OAS_AD('BoxAd')
http://q.azcentral.com/RealMedia/ad...a250x250.gif/31386464373930623430623735643830

Jim Paulsen
Special for The Republic
Jun. 6, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]MINNEAPOLIS - With a young team like the Mercury, there are going to be good times and there are going to be bad. Sometimes, it's going to happen in the same game.

Example, Saturday night.

After building a 12-point lead while playing a nearly perfect first half, the Mercury had a dismal second half and fell to the Minnesota Lynx 76-68 at Target Center in Minneapolis.

"It was a tale of two games tonight," Mercury coach Carrie Graf said. "We won the first half, Minnesota won the second half. We're a young team. We have to learn how to come out and control the momentum of a game, to do the same things in the second half that we had success with in the first half. We're getting better in certain areas, but it's a slow journey."

In the first half, the Mercury attacked the basket, repeatedly finding openings in the Minnesota defense for easy baskets. Twenty of the Mercury's 43 first-half points came in the lane, leading to an impressive 60.7 field-goal shooting percentage.

The Mercury was just as solid on defense, denying the passing lanes and forcing 10 Minnesota turnovers. Lynx star Katie Smith was held to just four points before halftime.

"We played a great first half," Graf said. "We moved the ball well, much better than we did against Seattle."

But there are two halves to every game, and the Mercury appeared to be a different team after halftime.

Gone were the dashing drives to the basket and the nifty backdoor cuts. Instead, they settled for jump shots while Minnesota, desperate to get back in the game, went on the attack.

With Smith taking a much larger role in the offense and Tamika Williams controlling the boards, Minnesota started the second half with 15-2 run.

In less than 10 minutes the more physical Lynx turned a 12-point deficit into a five-point lead at 53-48.

It was another frustrating night for Diana Taurasi. Forced to guard Smith for much of the game, Taurasi made just 5 of 13 field-goal attempts and fouled out with 51.3 seconds left.

"When you play against Katie Smith, you know it's going to be a physical game," Taurasi said. "She's probably the strongest player in the league, and she used that to her advantage."
[/font]

Djaughe

Reaction score
Mercury stifle Sun

You must be registered for see images

Associated Press
Associated Press
Jun. 9, 2004 03:00 PM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]PHOENIX - Diana Taurasi had 17 points and five assists to lead the Phoenix Mercury past the Connecticut Sun 75-59 on Wednesday.

Plenette Pierson added 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Mercury, which had lost its last two games.

Nykesha Sales scored 23 points on 10 of 14 shooting to lead the Sun, who have lost two straight after winning three in a row.

Phoenix went on a 13-1 run to take a 56-40 lead with 10:08 left in the game. The Sun managed only a Wendy Palmer free throw during the 5:46 stretch and never got closer than 10 after that.

Connecticut shot over 50 percent for the first 28 minutes of the game, but missed 11 of its last 16 shots. The Sun also committed 16 turnovers, including four during the key Mercury run.

Penny Taylor scored 13 of her 15 in the second half for Phoenix, which also outrebounded Connecticut 26-20.

Phoenix held Taj McWilliams-Franklin and Palmer to a total of 11 points, about half their combined average. Connecticut, the third-highest scoring team in the league, was held to 10 under its average.

Katie Douglas added 11 points for the Sun.

Sales had 13 points and the Sun made 15 of 23 shots in the first half, but had 10 turnovers falling behind 37-33 at intermission.

Phoenix shot 52.5 percent (31-for-59) from the field, led by Taurasi's 6-for-8. [/font]

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see the Mercury play some good ball finally.

Djaughe

Reaction score
I have a feeling that the mercury will be one of those kick butt at home and lose alot on the road. If they can play 0.500 ball on the road - then these gals should be competing for the top spot of the division.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Mercury try to pass their win total for last season against the LA Sparks.

Congrats to Anna DeForge for WNBA player of the week honors.

Release of Brown creates roster spot
Jim Gintonio
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 7, 2004 12:00 AM

Tonight's game
MERCURY AT SPARKS

WHEN: 7:30 p.m.

WHERE: Staples Center.

TV/RADIO: KAZ-TV/ESPN-AM (860).

MERCURY UPDATE: Phoenix (8-8 ) is trying to rebound after a 61-60 road loss to Indiana that prevented it from eclipsing its win total of a year ago. Rookie Diana Taurasi leads in scoring at 18.3 ppg, followed by Anna DeForge (14.2) and Penny Taylor (12.8 ). Taylor (4.3) is the top rebounder. This is the fifth of a seven-game road swing that keeps the Mercury away from America West Arena until July 18.

SPARKS UDPATE: Los Angeles (11-6) has won three in a row and eight of its past 10. Lisa Leslie is LA's leading scorer (15.2) and rebounder (9.8 ). She gets a lot of help from Mwadi Mabika (14.2 ppg). In an earlier meeting at AWA, the Sparks grabbed a big early lead and hung on for a 76-74 win.

A roster spot has opened on the Mercury with the release of guard Edwina Brown, who had been on the injured reserve list since the start of the season with an Achilles' injury.

"We did this looking at the potential to fill a roster slot," General Manager Seth Sulka said. "I've had conversations with some agents. Nothing is imminent, but it could happen soon."

The other player on IR, 6-foot-4 Adrian Williams, has gotten over her knee problems but has a case of strep throat, and her status will re-evaluated before tonight's game at Los Angeles.

The Mercury, which lost 61-60 in its last outing at Indiana, has three more games left on a seasonlong seven-game road trip. It will get a little extra help tonight with the return of 6-3 center Kayte Christensen, who missed the last game with migraine headaches.

"Whenever you can add another big player to the rotation, it really helps," coach Carrie Graf said. "Bobo (Slobodanka Tuvic)and Plenette (Pierson) have had pretty good trips, as well."

DeForge honor

Guard Anna DeForge was named the WNBA Player of the Week. In three road games (two victories), she averaged 20.7 points, four rebounds, three assists, two steals and 37.7 minutes. She shot 59.5 percent and 66.7 percent from three-point range.

DeForge opened the week against San Antonio by matching her career high with 26 points.

Welcome to the pros

Rookie Diana Taurasi, whose teams at Connecticut lost only eight times in her four years, is adjusting to life in the WNBA, where the Mercury (8-8 ) have matched that loss total in half a season.

But Taurasi isn't discouraged because the team also has as many wins as it did in 2003.

"We're already ahead of schedule," she said. "That's the positive side of it. The league is tough, and there's so much parity."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard