MCU: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I agree with @cheesebeef that I think this movie is going to be bad. The recent stories about the budget and run time feel like they're laying the spin ground work for when it bomb. "Making only $200m isn't bad since it's budge was so low" type of spin.
I am not sure if it matters if it's good or bad. IMO, there have been good movies performing very poorley at the box office as of late. I personally don't think this means it's going to be bad necessarily. I think it means that the Director was likely asked to come in to do their job without much creative control. Creative control by a director doesn't guarantee success if their vision sucks.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Well, so much for that $130m budget and my theory that it was going to be used to gaslight. Forbes article from today says that the financials for the subsidiary that made it shows that they spent $274.8m and received a $55m subsidy from the UK for filming there. So $219.8 out of pocket.

The $130m honestly sounded way low to me when Vanity Fair reported. Most of the MCU movies of late have been around the $200m mark. VF has removed it from the article too so Im guessing it wasn't accurate. I'm wondering if it was a typo and should have been $230m. Seems more realistic given the other MCU movies and is more in line with the Forbes number. I also find going $45m over budget more believable than going $145m over.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am sad she feels this way. I respect all the female bosses I ever had, and I'm an old white dude. I have even had a black female boss. In fact, she was one of my best bosses.
Same. I’ve had two three female bosses. One was a black female. They were all outstanding.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, so much for that $130m budget and my theory that it was going to be used to gaslight. Forbes article from today says that the financials for the subsidiary that made it shows that they spent $274.8m and received a $55m subsidy from the UK for filming there. So $219.8 out of pocket.

The $130m honestly sounded way low to me when Vanity Fair reported. Most of the MCU movies of late have been around the $200m mark. VF has removed it from the article too so Im guessing it wasn't accurate. I'm wondering if it was a typo and should have been $230m. Seems more realistic given the other MCU movies and is more in line with the Forbes number. I also find going $45m over budget more believable than going $145m over.

I also wonder if they cook the books, Ala Trump, for better tax write offs. Movies always seem like they spend not as much as they say. Just as an outside observer, I have been around 3-4 movies that were filmed in Yuma. The Star Wars set, I can see they spent a TON of money on, just to blow it up later. Another movie though, the set was basically all card board, although through the camera it looked substantial when it finally aired. Then you see what dollar amount they say they spent in your community, and it just feels high. IDK. Just saying it always seemed light on the reported spending and economic impact. I suppose they had receipts for everything?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. I’ve had two three female bosses. One was a black female. They were all outstanding.
7 of the last 10 of my bosses were all women and excellent leaders. One of the male leaders I had was one of the worst bosses I have ever had. Good person but lousy lousy leader. I went nowhere in the organization under him. He stalled my career for YEARS. Within two months of moving to a different team under a female boss I was promoted to my old bosses level and within a year promoted above his level. Now I am way above his level (he is still at the same level to this day) thanks to having great female leaders above me (one of them a minority as well). A really bad boss can tank your career.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
A coworker got a really cool Marvels action figure at McDonald's Friday. It's pretty large. It has a working arm with a hammer.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will watch next weekend but it's not surprising it's trending low.

All female lead action movies are unfortunately not watched no matter how great they are. Atomic Blonde was an amazing action film that nobody watched

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All female lead action movies are unfortunately not watched no matter how great they are. Atomic Blonde was an amazing action film that nobody watched

I think this is a common misperception and excuse made by Hollywood why more all female led action movies don’t get made.

Atomic Blonde made 100 million on a 30 million dollar budget. And even though Fury Road was called Mad Max, he was a secondary character to Furiosa and even most of the women in that movie.

Then you have Hunger Games, Underworld, Resident Evil all making a lot of money and spawning big franchises.

The OG Wonder Woman made 400 domestic/800 worldwide and Captain Marvel was a steaming pile but made over a Billion.

Angelina Jolie consistently pumped out big money movie with Tomb Raider 1, Salt, Wanted, Mr. And Mrs. Smith (she was arguably as big or bigger than Pitt at that time). And back in the day, Alien franchised over 3 decades.

The female led action genre definitely has its fair share of bombs too but so have male action movies. The thing that’s really stopped more of female action movies getting made is sexism, not necessarily box office receipts, IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The first one stunk and this one doesn't look any better. It's going to crater. Rightfully so.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I watched the other two Marvels on Disney+. Still I am not that excited for it. Partially their trailers suck.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first one stunk and this one doesn't look any better. It's going to crater. Rightfully so.
Yeah… I don’t think one bombs because people won’t go see female led action movies. It bombs because the first one was bad and they’ve totally devalued the character by lumping her in with two tv characters to make it seem like Ms. Marvel isn’t enough of a character to stand on her own two feet.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The tonal change in the final trailer is staggering compared to the previous ones. They probably should have gone with this approach from the beginning. It almost seems like a completely different movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The tonal change in the final trailer is staggering compared to the previous ones. They probably should have gone with this approach from the beginning. It almost seems like a completely different movie.
Agree. This movie all of the sudden went from TV movie to real movie?! The vibe is completely different. Who is handling the marketing on this?!?!

Reaction score

I enjoyed ''Kate"" & ''Gunpowder Milkshake'' as well. Both were good female lead action movies.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Does anyone know?? Who is the black girl? Which miss marvel is she? What's her show called and where can I watch it??
Have origins on Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel already but have never seen the other girl anywhere...can't seem to find anything on Disney+