MCU: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think this is a common misperception and excuse made by Hollywood why more all female led action movies don’t get made.

Atomic Blonde made 100 million on a 30 million dollar budget. And even though Fury Road was called Mad Max, he was a secondary character to Furiosa and even most of the women in that movie.

Then you have Hunger Games, Underworld, Resident Evil all making a lot of money and spawning big franchises.

The OG Wonder Woman made 400 domestic/800 worldwide and Captain Marvel was a steaming pile but made over a Billion.

Angelina Jolie consistently pumped out big money movie with Tomb Raider 1, Salt, Wanted, Mr. And Mrs. Smith (she was arguably as big or bigger than Pitt at that time). And back in the day, Alien franchised over 3 decades.

The female led action genre definitely has its fair share of bombs too but so have male action movies. The thing that’s really stopped more of female action movies getting made is sexism, not necessarily box office receipts, IMO.
Agree. I enjoy good movies. The reproductive parts of the lead have zero to do with it.
My only ask is semi realism...I don't want to see a 130 lb chick punch a 280lb dude in the face and he flies across the room. There are plenty of ways she can win the fight within the confines of reality.
Imo, having a female action lead is an opportunity for the writers to get creative. Maybe show how she used the environment to dominate a larger opponent....or advanced training...sometimes dumb luck.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know?? Who is the black girl? Which miss marvel is she? What's her show called and where can I watch it??
Have origins on Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel already but have never seen the other girl anywhere...can't seem to find anything on Disney+

Monica Rambeau was introduced in Captain Marvel as a kid and then more mature in Wandavision. I think that's it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Monica Rambeau was introduced in Captain Marvel as a kid and then more mature in Wandavision. I think that's it.
Okay...didn't finish wandavision... gonna have to have another look.
Surprised they centered her in a movie without at least a mini series for an origin story.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay...didn't finish wandavision... gonna have to have another look.
Surprised they centered her in a movie without at least a mini series for an origin story.

I'm staying non-specific to avoid any spoilers. Finishing Wandavision should help a lot. And really, it's starring Elizabeth Olsen. :devil:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Does anyone know?? Who is the black girl? Which miss marvel is she? What's her show called and where can I watch it??
Have origins on Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel already but have never seen the other girl anywhere...can't seem to find anything on Disney+
I don't remember what show she was on, but she was an astronaut.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think this is just because these characters have not been invested in like characters such as the Hulk, Iron Man, etc. This is the second Captain Marvel movie. They hid Captain Marvel off in another universe. Not developing her like a Captain America, etc. Then they basically develop the other two on Disney Plus which isn't exactly mainstream. I have watched all three of these characters shows and I am sketchy on the third Marvel because she is kinda a thrown in on movies/shows. The only way Ant Man worked at all was by throwing famous actors into the mix. There was some real life recognition of actors that gave it a curiosity component. I know I was thinking Paul Rudd as Ant Man? Michael Douglas in a Marvel movie? It's just did not have the story and character investment to build to a block buster movie potential. Maybe they should have called it Barbies 2?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is just because these characters have not been invested in like characters such as the Hulk, Iron Man, etc. This is the second Captain Marvel movie. They hid Captain Marvel off in another universe. Not developing her like a Captain America, etc. Then they basically develop the other two on Disney Plus which isn't exactly mainstream. I have watched all three of these characters shows and I am sketchy on the third Marvel because she is kinda a thrown in on movies/shows. The only way Ant Man worked at all was by throwing famous actors into the mix. There was some real life recognition of actors that gave it a curiosity component. I know I was thinking Paul Rudd as Ant Man? Michael Douglas in a Marvel movie? It's just did not have the story and character investment to build to a block buster movie potential. Maybe they should have called it Barbies 2?
Her first movie stunk. That’s why her second movie sunk. I think it’s that simple.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's not even going to make back it's production budget never mind the 3x to break even. Disney really needs to get the budgets under control. Spending $275m on this, and most movies, is nuts. It's hard to make money that way.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's not even going to make back it's production budget never mind the 3x to break even. Disney really needs to get the budgets under control. Spending $275m on this, and most movies, is nuts. It's hard to make money that way.
I think it's ok to make the movie but not at that budget like you said. They need smaller projects like this to be a lower budget, and stuff like Infinity Wars gets the big budgets.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not bad at all.

Kamala stole the show, which was to be expected IMO. Ms Marvel was one of the better Disney Plus shows.

Villain was typical for Marvel but there were some interesting aspects to motivation.

Two fantastic post credit scenes.

Reaction score
I enjoyed the first Captain Marvel movie. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well. It looks pretty good to me. I'm a sucker for all of the MCU shows though. ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the family to see this last night. Marvel was my late niece's favorite movies. It was weird going without her for the first time in over a decade. In terms of the movie it was entertaining. It was a decent movie and entertaining but almost everything since the last two Avengers movies seems to fall short. Not that this movie was trying to be that. This felt more like more setting up for the "next" Avengers. The end credit scene IMO is tied to Deadpool 3.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I guess I could say it's better than I thought. Have to agree that Ms. Marvel stole every scene she was in, and Brie Larson was pretty meh throughout. The weird scene mid-movie (you know what I'm talking about) with aliens that have a certain way of communicating was way out of place and I don't really understand why Feige or whoever said "OK!" to that idea. So ill-conceived. Thankfully, it didn't last long.

That said, once again Marvel throws out a boring and uninteresting villain, although they at least tried to show her motivation. After Thanos and Kang, it's hard to present any villain in these movies that isn't going to be really inferior to what we've already seen onscreen.

So I think it earned that CinemaScore, nice performance by Iman Vellani, and a good perfomance by Teyonah Harris as Monica Rambeau. Brie Larson wasn't terrible, but she wasn't great either -- basically the superhero version of the "meh" villain.

I'd say this was more entertaining then Quantumania, but is firmly in that average tier of Marvel movies.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess I could say it's better than I thought. Have to agree that Ms. Marvel stole every scene she was in, and Brie Larson was pretty meh throughout. The weird scene mid-movie (you know what I'm talking about) with aliens that have a certain way of communicating was way out of place and I don't really understand why Feige or whoever said "OK!" to that idea. So ill-conceived. Thankfully, it didn't last long.

That said, once again Marvel throws out a boring and uninteresting villain, although they at least tried to show her motivation. After Thanos and Kang, it's hard to present any villain in these movies that isn't going to be really inferior to what we've already seen onscreen.

So I think it earned that CinemaScore, nice performance by Iman Vellani, and a good perfomance by Teyonah Harris as Monica Rambeau. Brie Larson wasn't terrible, but she wasn't great either -- basically the superhero version of the "meh" villain.

I'd say this was more entertaining then Quantumania, but is firmly in that average tier of Marvel movies.
Yeah, I agree with that scene. Seemed out of place but I was amused by it. Even the escape thing was a tad....meh. However, I like Brie in the part. I think her character suffers from DC Superman syndrome. The character is so damn powerful not to mention that I think she has gotten subpar writing for the character. It also felt like Secret Wars series was throwaway post this movie. Loved Ms. Marvel and her family in this film. She did steal several scenes IMO. I loved Monica. I think this was more light hearted adventure. On that level it succeeds. I just don't put in in the same category as Avengers. So, I don't expect a mega villain. I thought for this film it was fine. Besides Thanos was just a name drop for multiple films until Infinity War. Love it or hate it Marvel is all in on the minor villain for most movies while they build up a big bad for an overall arc.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with that scene. Seemed out of place but I was amused by it. Even the escape thing was a tad....meh. However, I like Brie in the part. I think her character suffers from DC Superman syndrome. The character is so damn powerful not to mention that I think she has gotten subpar writing for the character. It also felt like Secret Wars series was throwaway post this movie. Loved Ms. Marvel and her family in this film. She did steal several scenes IMO. I loved Monica. I think this was more light hearted adventure. On that level it succeeds. I just don't put in in the same category as Avengers. So, I don't expect a mega villain. I thought for this film it was fine. Besides Thanos was just a name drop for multiple films until Infinity War. Love it or hate it Marvel is all in on the minor villain for most movies while they build up a big bad for an overall arc.
I agree with most of this. The one thing I take exception to is your saying that you don't expect a mega villain. Of course a movie like this won't have a mega villain, but it should at least have one that is interesting. And why was it another woman? I thought it would have been interesting if the villain had been a man -- they did make a reference to Ronan, who was one of the worst Marvel villains, but she wasn't interesting in the least.

You can still have a strong and interesting villain regardless of how epic the movie or show is. Take, for example, the villain in Jessica Jones. A show that is in the MCU but you wouldn't know it, yet they had a very compelling villain. Same with the first villain in the Luke Cage show. And how about Shang-Chi's father? Another good villain.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of this. The one thing I take exception to is your saying that you don't expect a mega villain. Of course a movie like this won't have a mega villain, but it should at least have one that is interesting. And why was it another woman? I thought it would have been interesting if the villain had been a man -- they did make a reference to Ronan, who was one of the worst Marvel villains, but she wasn't interesting in the least.

You can still have a strong and interesting villain regardless of how epic the movie or show is. Take, for example, the villain in Jessica Jones. A show that is in the MCU but you wouldn't know it, yet they had a very compelling villain. Same with the first villain in the Luke Cage show. And how about Shang-Chi's father? Another good villain.
Submariner was a great villain also.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Wow, this only did $10m for the weekend for a 78% drop. I did not expect that much. I thought it was going to be more in the $20m range with the typical MCU 2nd weekend drop-off. At this rate it's going to have trouble breaking $100m domestically and probably have trouble hitting $200m overall.