Matt Millers Post Super Bowl 7 round mock

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BritCard, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

I like some of their charting and that's about it.

Like I said elsewhere, they have Chandler Jones as the 9th best edge player.

When I watch Thomas, I see a limited athlete. He makes the most of his ability, but I will be shocked if he makes it as a LT. He just isnt quick or sudden. And he extends his arms out too far. Bosa would embarrass him.

For all the **** DJ Humphries has gotten from some here, he is a significantly better, more fluid and natural athlete than Thomas.

Thomas is great at downfield blocking and walling off rushers. Looks like a Guard to me.

2. Finito

Finito Registered

To me Thomas just seems really solid. He does nothing that makes you say wow and he doesn’t really have any major flaws.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  3. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

Becton is huge & has potential but he isn't worth a top 10 pick imo. There's no way of truly grading him as a pass blocker right now. Louisville didn't throw the ball a ton this season. Scott Satterfield came over from App St to coach Louisville last offseason, he runs the ball a ton. Run blocking Becton can do well but his pass blocking is a big question mark. Not to say he can't become good at it, just not being there yet tells me he's not top 10 right now. 2nd round of course I would draft him if I was the GM. Top 10 tackles should be good at both imo. Of course some people will look at the stats of Becton on passing downs, they were decent but not enough passing plays to really give an honest grade imo. Plus defenses in the ACC were horrible with the exception of Clemson. He will face some ferocious edge rushers in the NFL but he does pass the size test for sure.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    BritCard likes this.
  4. Cardsfaninlouky

He has the size to be good at it, just doesn't have the experience needed for it right now. Louisville runs the ball a whole lot. The defenses in the ACC are bad except one team. Wills blocked against the best DL's in college football at Alabama, so did Thomas. They're more ready right now experience wise than Becton is.

5. Krangthebrain

I'd draft him before the 2nd, but I think the Cardinals arent in a position to draft a projection at #8.

Wirfs or Wills. Wirfs because he is a monster, Wills because of his versatility.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  6. Cardsfaninlouky

I know you think Thomas has slow feet but he didn't get beat often. I'm not saying we should draft an OT at #8 either, a lot depends on who we get during the FA period. Thomas & Wills blocked against the absolute best DL's in college football, they're definitely more ready right now than others. Wirfs is a monster & played in the Big 10, that conference always produces some damn good OL prospects. I'd take either of the three at #8 before Becton if I was gonna draft an OT. I want Derrick Thomas, that wish will change if we sign a stud DT in the FA period.

7. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Hump is a better athlete? Is that why he spends half his time on IR?

Give me a "less athletic" guy with 42 college starts over a guy with one healthy year in 6.

Pretty tough to show your athletism from the physios table.

8. Finito

Finito Registered

Wirfs looks butter soft to me. I don’t see any mean streak in him at all.

9. Finito

Finito Registered

injuries have nothing to do with talent and everything to do with bad luck.

Like DJ chose to have his leg rolled up on him from behind 2 years ago

Krangthebrain and cardncubfan like this.
  10. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

I think you may be underrating just how good a Top LT in the SEC is. Athleticism is needed sure..... but his footwork, punch, and feet are all better than you think. The Combine should tell that tale.

Meanwhile..... a guy like Becton will just get killed by even the middling class of edge rushers in this league. IF he becomes good, maybe he gets to where DJ is now...... but really...... Isn't what they say about him what they said about Hump when he came out? Do we need another Knee Deep?

We need the most polished guys at 9. Not the guys who may be good in a year or two. You draft them at 25 (again, like Hump).

BritCard likes this.
  11. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

I am a firm believer that Health is a skill. This is where people like Stephania Bell make a lot of sense.

BritCard likes this.
  12. Krangthebrain

Polish means nothing if the guy has slow feet. He can get away with it with the boys from college, but the much more developed NFL pass rushers are going to get after him.

You do realize that sometimes OL prospects coming from great college OL will struggle because they played on great college lines (like Thomas did) and get exposed at the NFL level.

I'm basing my opinion on what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing. If you want a guy with actual LT traits, go for Wills. I see a good Guard when I watch Thomas.

13. DVontel

DVontel Registered

If Thomas goes to a power-gap scheme, he will thrive like a mofo.

If Thomas goes to a zone-blocking scheme, he will struggle.

14. Finito

Finito Registered

That’s ridiculous especially in a collision sport like the NFL.

15. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Health is more of a trait than it is a skill.