Matt Millers Post Super Bowl 7 round mock

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I disagree. Thomas has "pedigree" as a Georgia lineman. He plays with a collection of good linemen. But I dont see any WOW plays. Watch him move; he isnt nimble at all.

Becton is a monster. When he latches on to someone he dominates them. He pancakes opponents.

Quite a few mocks now have at least FIVE OTs going in the first as well. Jones allowed FOUR pressures all year. His pass sets are absolutely textbook. Much more fluid than Thomas. I wouldnt be shocked from what I'm reading to see Thomas be the last OT to go in the first round.

Thomas has 3 years of dominant tape in the SEC. And was a consensus All-America last year as a junior. Who needs wow plays from an O-Lineman? We want movement...... Technique........ Hands........ and most of all...... consistent line reads and protection grades.

You can have all of the Becton hype you want. I would take my game tape over your size/speed comps all day.

It's when tape, size, speed, and production all marry together that you get a star. Simmons, Young, Okudah, Kinlaw level stars.

Becton is this years OT version of Haasan Reddick. And someone else can have em IMO. When the draft is this much of a crap shoot..... why take that big of a chance at 9? That's all I'm sayin.

We will have the choice of one of these guys:
Young & Kinlaw
Simmons
Okudah
Wirfs, Wills, or Thomas
Jeudy or Lamb

If we go anywhere else with the pick........ I would be seriously disappointed.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thomas has 3 years of dominant tape in the SEC. And was a consensus All-America last year as a junior. Who needs wow plays from an O-Lineman? We want movement...... Technique........ Hands........ and most of all...... consistent line reads and protection grades.

You can have all of the Becton hype you want. I would take my game tape over your size/speed comps all day.

It's when tape, size, speed, and production all marry together that you get a star. Simmons, Young, Okudah, Kinlaw level stars.

Becton is this years OT version of Haasan Reddick. And someone else can have em IMO. When the draft is this much of a crap shoot..... why take that big of a chance at 9? That's all I'm sayin.

We will have the choice of one of these guys:
Young & Kinlaw
Simmons
Okudah
Wirfs, Wills, or Thomas
Jeudy or Lamb

If we go anywhere else with the pick........ I would be seriously disappointed.
You like Willis now? o_O

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You like Willis now? o_O
No..... I don't. haha

I would put him in the mid-1st though. Roughly around 18 to 20 I think.

But when compared to Becton..... Wills is Orlando Pace & Jonathon Ogden

I would rather take Laviska...... Ruggs....... Brown....... and others before Wills personally.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

So, Becton is an undersized guy at his position (DE) in college that will be moved to a new position (ILB) in the NFL for the first time?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So, Becton is an undersized guy at his position (DE) in college that will be moved to a new position (ILB) in the NFL for the first time?
T Mekhi Becton, Louisville
Buyer beware of: Poor true pass sets
Playing tackle in the NFL is about one thing and one thing only: pass protection. Pass protection, more so than almost any other job in the NFL, is a learned skill. With any skill, practice and repetitions matter. Louisville changed to a much more run- and play-heavy offense this past season. As such, Becton took only 73 true pass sets (plays with no play action, no RPO, with deep drops and at least four pass-rushers) in all of 2019. That’s the fewest of any tackle that made our top five tackle prospects. For comparison, the Falcons' Jake Matthews led all NFL tackles with 390 last year, and the 32nd most at the tackle position was 250. What I’m trying to say is, if Becton starts all season long next year, he’ll get tested around four times more than he did at Louisville last season.

It’s not only that he doesn’t have the practice, but also that he’s been bad on them. Becton has allowed eight pressures on those 73 sets for a 64.7 pass-blocking grade. Only Washington’s Trey Adams had a worse grade among the tackles that made our top-10. That doesn’t scream first-round type prospect to us.

To answer you simply while ignoring your weak attempt to discredit the comparison...... Yes

He didn't do the most important thing NFL Tackles do...... Pass Protect

Reddick was a pass rusher and we moved him inside. He wasn't doing that much in college.

Becton's going to have to pass protect now. And he has little practice at it..... and sucked at it when he tried.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
73 pass sets in college is like 9 or 10 a game. Out of a usual 50 to 75 plays.

And he did it in a mostly middle of the pack to garbage conference.

And he still sucked at it even though the other team probably was gearing up to tackle a runner or set an edge.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
73 pass sets in college is like 9 or 10 a game. Out of a usual 50 to 75 plays.

And he did it in a mostly middle of the pack to garbage conference.

And he still sucked at it even though the other team probably was gearing up to tackle a runner or set an edge.

So says PFF.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Thomas is suffering from being a top guy for so long that analysts are nit picking at him.

its about your risk appetite:

Thomas is a high floor player with a perceived lower ceiling. Assuming health, at worst you get middle of the pack tackle performance.

Becton is a lower floor player with a higher ceiling. you may end up with a dominant tackle, or, a career RT who you have to shade help to on passing downs

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed but again all it takes is one team to fall in love and take a guy like Jonathan Cooper #7 overall. Sometimes it’s best to go with a safe pick when your in Top 10 rather than a sexy boom or bust pick.

couldn’t be more wrong. Cooper was considered probably the safest pick in that draft. He was considered a plug and play 10 year pro bowl type.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We both were kissing the feet of PFF just last year with all of Kyler's spider charts. Why would you stop now?

I like some of their charting and that's about it.

Like I said elsewhere, they have Chandler Jones as the 9th best edge player.

When I watch Thomas, I see a limited athlete. He makes the most of his ability, but I will be shocked if he makes it as a LT. He just isnt quick or sudden. And he extends his arms out too far. Bosa would embarrass him.

For all the poo DJ Humphries has gotten from some here, he is a significantly better, more fluid and natural athlete than Thomas.

Thomas is great at downfield blocking and walling off rushers. Looks like a Guard to me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me Thomas just seems really solid. He does nothing that makes you say wow and he doesn’t really have any major flaws.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do not see Becton as a top ten pick at all... sounds like the hype train is leaving the station on a lot of prospects now
Becton is huge & has potential but he isn't worth a top 10 pick imo. There's no way of truly grading him as a pass blocker right now. Louisville didn't throw the ball a ton this season. Scott Satterfield came over from App St to coach Louisville last offseason, he runs the ball a ton. Run blocking Becton can do well but his pass blocking is a big question mark. Not to say he can't become good at it, just not being there yet tells me he's not top 10 right now. 2nd round of course I would draft him if I was the GM. Top 10 tackles should be good at both imo. Of course some people will look at the stats of Becton on passing downs, they were decent but not enough passing plays to really give an honest grade imo. Plus defenses in the ACC were horrible with the exception of Clemson. He will face some ferocious edge rushers in the NFL but he does pass the size test for sure.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To answer you simply while ignoring your weak attempt to discredit the comparison...... Yes

He didn't do the most important thing NFL Tackles do...... Pass Protect

Reddick was a pass rusher and we moved him inside. He wasn't doing that much in college.

Becton's going to have to pass protect now. And he has little practice at it..... and sucked at it when he tried.
He has the size to be good at it, just doesn't have the experience needed for it right now. Louisville runs the ball a whole lot. The defenses in the ACC are bad except one team. Wills blocked against the best DL's in college football at Alabama, so did Thomas. They're more ready right now experience wise than Becton is.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Benton is huge & has potential but he isn't worth a top 10 pick imo. There's no way of truly grading him as a pass blocker right now. Louisville didn't throw the ball a ton this season. Scott Satterfield came over from App St to coach Louisville last offseason, he runs the ball a ton. Run blocking Becton can do well but his pass blocking is a big question mark. Not to say he can't become good at it, just not being there yet tells me he's not top 10 right now. 2nd round of course I would draft him if I was the GM. Top 10 tackles should be good at both imo. Of course some people will look at the stats of Becton on passing downs, they were good but not enough passing plays to really give an honest grade imo. Plus defenses in the ACC were horrible with the exception of Clemson. He will face some ferocious edge rushers in the NFL but he does pass the size test for sure.

I'd draft him before the 2nd, but I think the Cardinals arent in a position to draft a projection at #8.

Wirfs or Wills. Wirfs because he is a monster, Wills because of his versatility.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd draft him before the 2nd, but I think the Cardinals arent in a position to draft a projection at #8.

Wirfs or Wills. Wirfs because he is a monster, Wills because of his versatility.
I know you think Thomas has slow feet but he didn't get beat often. I'm not saying we should draft an OT at #8 either, a lot depends on who we get during the FA period. Thomas & Wills blocked against the absolute best DL's in college football, they're definitely more ready right now than others. Wirfs is a monster & played in the Big 10, that conference always produces some damn good OL prospects. I'd take either of the three at #8 before Becton if I was gonna draft an OT. I want Derrick Thomas, that wish will change if we sign a stud DT in the FA period.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When I watch Thomas, I see a limited athlete. He makes the most of his ability, but I will be shocked if he makes it as a LT. He just isnt quick or sudden. And he extends his arms out too far. Bosa would embarrass him.

For all the **** DJ Humphries has gotten from some here, he is a significantly better, more fluid and natural athlete than Thomas.

Thomas is great at downfield blocking and walling off rushers. Looks like a Guard to me.

Hump is a better athlete? Is that why he spends half his time on IR?

Give me a "less athletic" guy with 42 college starts over a guy with one healthy year in 6.

Pretty tough to show your athletism from the physios table.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wirfs looks butter soft to me. I don’t see any mean streak in him at all.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hump is a better athlete? Is that why he spends half his time on IR?

Give me a "less athletic" guy with 42 college starts over a guy with one healthy year in 6.

Pretty tough to show your athletism from the physios table.

injuries have nothing to do with talent and everything to do with bad luck.

Like DJ chose to have his leg rolled up on him from behind 2 years ago

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

For all the **** DJ Humphries has gotten from some here, he is a significantly better, more fluid and natural athlete than Thomas.

I think you may be underrating just how good a Top LT in the SEC is. Athleticism is needed sure..... but his footwork, punch, and feet are all better than you think. The Combine should tell that tale.

Meanwhile..... a guy like Becton will just get killed by even the middling class of edge rushers in this league. IF he becomes good, maybe he gets to where DJ is now...... but really...... Isn't what they say about him what they said about Hump when he came out? Do we need another Knee Deep?

We need the most polished guys at 9. Not the guys who may be good in a year or two. You draft them at 25 (again, like Hump).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
injuries have nothing to do with talent and everything to do with bad luck.

Like DJ chose to have his leg rolled up on him from behind 2 years ago
I am a firm believer that Health is a skill. This is where people like Stephania Bell make a lot of sense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you may be underrating just how good a Top LT in the SEC is. Athleticism is needed sure..... but his footwork, punch, and feet are all better than you think. The Combine should tell that tale.

Meanwhile..... a guy like Becton will just get killed by even the middling class of edge rushers in this league. IF he becomes good, maybe he gets to where DJ is now...... but really...... Isn't what they say about him what they said about Hump when he came out? Do we need another Knee Deep?

We need the most polished guys at 9. Not the guys who may be good in a year or two. You draft them at 25 (again, like Hump).

Polish means nothing if the guy has slow feet. He can get away with it with the boys from college, but the much more developed NFL pass rushers are going to get after him.

You do realize that sometimes OL prospects coming from great college OL will struggle because they played on great college lines (like Thomas did) and get exposed at the NFL level.

I'm basing my opinion on what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing. If you want a guy with actual LT traits, go for Wills. I see a good Guard when I watch Thomas.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Thomas goes to a power-gap scheme, he will thrive like a ****.

If Thomas goes to a zone-blocking scheme, he will struggle.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Health is more of a trait than it is a skill.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose