Matt Millers Post Super Bowl 7 round mock

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could Becton turn out to be a Leonard Davis type guard?

If we knew Becton or Jones we’re going to be available would it sway your first round selection?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
injuries have nothing to do with talent and everything to do with bad luck.

Like DJ chose to have his leg rolled up on him from behind 2 years ago

That's one injury, in 6 years starting in college and the pros he has played one full season. Did he get rolled up on 6 times?

Injuries can be bad luck, especially if it's different injuries like Hicks.

But every single one of Humps injuries has been knees or lower leg. So it's not hard to figure out he has crap knees.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Polish means nothing if the guy has slow feet. He can get away with it with the boys from college, but the much more developed NFL pass rushers are going to get after him.

You do realize that sometimes OL prospects coming from great college OL will struggle because they played on great college lines (like Thomas did) and get exposed at the NFL level.

I'm basing my opinion on what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing. If you want a guy with actual LT traits, go for Wills. I see a good Guard when I watch Thomas.

He doesn't have slow feet

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Against Josh Allen who just had 10 sacks as a rookie and was almost 100% a speed rush guy in college Thomas shut him down.

https://twitter.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1228101004278759424

People are over thinking him way too much. Easily LT1.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could Becton turn out to be a Leonard Davis type guard?

If we knew Becton or Jones we’re going to be available would it sway your first round selection?

Becton has that as a backup I suppose. If he doesn't make the grade as a tackle he could be a top notch guard.

I still don't think a guy with those question marks are close to top 10. Somewhere in the 20-30 range seems fair.

Dillard went what? #21 last year? And he was a much more polished tackle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Becton has that as a backup I suppose. If he doesn't make the grade as a tackle he could be a top notch guard.

I still don't think a guy with those question marks are close to top 10. Somewhere in the 20-30 range seems fair.

Dillard went what? #21 last year? And he was a much more polished tackle.

Dillard doesnt have Becton's physical traits.

Becton has Bryant McKinnie and Orlando Pace physical traits.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He doesn't have slow feet

Against Josh Allen who just had 10 sacks as a rookie and was almost 100% a speed rush guy in college Thomas shut him down.

https://twitter.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1228101004278759424

People are over thinking him way too much. Easily LT1.

Not impressed.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dillard doesnt have Becton's physical traits.

Becton has Bryant McKinnie and Orlando Pace physical traits.

I don't give two hoots about physical traits. Over drafting physical traits without the talent to go with it is how you get bad players. Guys like Diche and Reddick are prime examples.

I love Bectons size. I'd love me some 6'7" 370lb linemen on the team. But not in the top 15. He's just not there yet.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You’re right about refinement, but Brit is also right... if you’re drafting someone in the top ten, they should start day one. Maybe not dominate immediately, but start.
Becton can come in and start right away.

I don't know that Thomas can.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you may be underrating just how good a Top LT in the SEC is. Athleticism is needed sure..... but his footwork, punch, and feet are all better than you think. The Combine should tell that tale.

Meanwhile..... a guy like Becton will just get killed by even the middling class of edge rushers in this league. IF he becomes good, maybe he gets to where DJ is now...... but really...... Isn't what they say about him what they said about Hump when he came out? Do we need another Knee Deep?

We need the most polished guys at 9. Not the guys who may be good in a year or two. You draft them at 25 (again, like Hump).
If you want an example of how to undervalue the importance of size at OT over polish...see Orlando Brown Jr. for the Ravens. Becton is big, long and athletic enough to compete day 1.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
another example is Trent Brown who was under drafted and got a huge contract because of his purely athletic gifts.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Meanwhile..... a guy like Becton will just get killed by even the middling class of edge rushers in this league.

IF he becomes good, maybe he gets to where DJ is now...... but really...... Isn't what they say about him what they said about Hump when he came out? Do we need another Knee Deep?

Becton - based on what?

Humphries - at least you admit it. 5 years later and our best OL is not even in the top 15 at his position. I would be all for giving DJ another year with Kugler if the price was reasonable but top 3 LT money is stuuuupid for a guy with 1 full season played and zero pro bowls in 5 years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Polish means nothing if the guy has slow feet. He can get away with it with the boys from college, but the much more developed NFL pass rushers are going to get after him.

You do realize that sometimes OL prospects coming from great college OL will struggle because they played on great college lines (like Thomas did) and get exposed at the NFL level.

I'm basing my opinion on what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing. If you want a guy with actual LT traits, go for Wills. I see a good Guard when I watch Thomas.

The combine will have to be the judge for you then. I am telling you, either your eyes may be fooling you or there might be an unconscious bias at work. He made his line better..... they didn't make him better.

Thomas was the best O-Lineman in college last year.
Would have been a top 15 pick in last years draft.
And is easily one of the top 3 and probably top 2 lineman in this draft. Thomas - Man scheme & Wirfs - Zone Scheme

Becton can come in and start right away.

I don't know that Thomas can.

To me....... This might be the craziest thing I have read here since Mitch left.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Becton - based on what? Go watch him vs Clemson (x2) and Alabama.

Humphries - at least you admit it. 5 years later and our best OL is not even in the top 15 at his position. I would be all for giving DJ another year with Kugler if the price was reasonable but top 3 LT money is stuuuupid for a guy with 1 full season played and zero pro bowls in 5 years.
I'm not saying he's a finished product yet. He was drafted at 21 playing one of the most nuanced positions in football.

You franchise kids like this and make them prove it for another season. I'm not advocating for a 5 year extension....... I'm saying franchise him.

Bobby Massie was brought up because his production came back to bite us, and we've needed a RT ever since. Don't be myopic about this.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Becton - based on what?

Because he is the most unproven..... most unpolished..... least experienced prospect we are talking about.

The kid is a mountain...... an athletic one at that......... but damn man...... He's not ready to start in any NFL offense right away. The kid will need to grow up a ton to be even partly serviceable next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The combine will have to be the judge for you then. I am telling you, either your eyes may be fooling you or there might be an unconscious bias at work. He made his line better..... they didn't make him better.

And is easily one of the top 3 and probably top 2 lineman in this draft. Thomas - Man scheme & Wirfs - Zone Scheme

To me....... This might be the craziest thing I have read here since Mitch left.
Orlando Brown dropped from a top NFL pick to a third rounder based upon his huge body. Low and behold, he is able to be a key contributor almost right away for the Ravens. Cordy Glenn able to start right away due to his freakish size and length. Trent Brown languished on the 49ers until the Pats got him and made him a top NFL tackle. Never a polished player. Andre Smith held his own for years due mostly to his size.

I am not saying Becton is going to be a hall of famer, but the learning curve for an athletic 6'7 360 lb OT with 36" arms is much easier than a 6'5 320 lb OT with 33.5" arms. He has less worry about a bull rush. He can set more to protect vs an inside move with his longer reach giving him an advantage outside. He is more natural of a mover so he doesn't have to think as much when adjusting vs a pass rusher. Thomas just has less room for error which will make the transition more difficult IMO.

Oh and bye the way...and how dare you sir...how dare you! :)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You franchise kids like this and make them prove it for another season. I'm not advocating for a 5 year extension....... I'm saying franchise him.

Bobby Massie was brought up because his production came back to bite us, and we've needed a RT ever since. Don't be myopic about this.

We may have to franchise him but it doesn't make it right...its makes it desperate.

Why do people keep pushing the false narrative around Massie? We had a top LT in Veldheer at the time and 2nd year #1 pick DJ Humphries at RT. The Cardinals prepared in advance for Massie to leave. Unfortunately, both Veldheer and Humphries got hurt (continued to get hurt). Massie is good but not great.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We may have to franchise him but it doesn't make it right...its makes it desperate.

Why do people keep pushing the false narrative around Massie? We had a top LT in Veldheer at the time and 2nd year #1 pick DJ Humphries at RT. The Cardinals prepared in advance for Massie to leave. Unfortunately, both Veldheer and Humphries got hurt (continued to get hurt). Massie is good but not great.
Seems simple to me. Veldheer wasn't a forever LT and we knew DJ was moving over there. Massie was more than serviceable at RT and I think we were worse off for letting him go.

DJ could get us a comp pick in next years draft but if we can get a 2 or a 3 this year while also adding Conklin and a new rookie..... Who wouldn't try it?

Or just keep DJ at LT..... let him continue to mature and grow on a salary commensurate with the average of his position (franchise tag) while also thinking about ways to use the asset to build the depth of our squad?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Seems simple to me. Veldheer wasn't a forever LT and we knew DJ was moving over there. Massie was more than serviceable at RT and I think we were worse off for letting him go.

Veldheer was 28 and coming off 32 games in a row starting at LT and doing very well. DJ was a #1 draft pick from the year before.

Massie got 6m/year (top free agent money then). You can blame this on DJ for sucking so bad.

I agree with you on Conklin...I would rather pay him 15/year at RT than DJ.

This all gets taken care of when we trade DJ for Trent Williams. :) :trout:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'm talking about guys who play on college offensive lines where all five guys will/do have draft able grades or at a minimum have priority UDFA grades. Thomas plays on a line where every guy has a chance to at least make it into an NFL practice. Pretty easy to play well when the LG next to you is a good player in his own right.

I HAVE watched Thomas' tape. If you are reading, Im writing notes that I saw FROM his tape. Becton is more raw, but is already viewed as a 1st round pick! He has traits that Thomas never will.

With Kugler in the building, Im actually more confident in the Cardinals ability to draft and develop OL. I dont think it's a coincidence that the Cardinals averaged more YPC than any other season in their 100+ year history.

My OL board? Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Jones, Thomas. Thomas downgraded because I dont think he can play tackle at all. Wirfs is highest because I think hes a possible Pro Bowl caliber RT. Wills next because he has the best chance to be a LT. Becton because of his freakish traits, and tremendous run blocking ability at the point of attack, next Jones because he is a natural LT.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Veldheer was 28 and coming off 32 games in a row starting at LT and doing very well. DJ was a #1 draft pick from the year before.

Massie got 6m/year (top free agent money then). You can blame this on DJ for sucking so bad.

I agree with you on Conklin...I would rather pay him 15/year at RT than DJ.

This all gets taken care of when we trade DJ for Trent Williams. :) :trout:

Doesnt sound like Keim believes this at all. Keim clearly sounds like DJ will be back.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Doesnt sound like Keim believes this at all. Keim clearly sounds like DJ will be back.

Not sure what Keim believes about the past.

Keim may want him back but at what price?

This would be Keims first 2nd contract for a 1st rd pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson