Marvel's The Avengers

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 and first class. Avengers is the best of them, but it's not that much better than the rest IMO.

agreed. but it's a much more accessible film than either of the X movies which dealt with heavier themes... and just weren't as much fun IMO.

The last hour of this movie was ridiculous amounts of fun. i actually think if the first half wasn't as slow as it was for me, I'd probably rank it as one of my top three of all time, but it just took a little long getting going.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I totally get what your saying cheesie...... l really loved this movie but cannot even begin to put it in the same rarified air that TDK is in.

Funny, smart, well balanced, and you could see the Whedon fingerprints all over this one.

But while it was fun, and truly my favorite non Batman comic movie ever, it didnt leave me asking deeper societal questions or make me walk away feeling anything other than how well it entertained me. TDK entertained at the highest level, and it also made me think about the world I live in.

That is the difference between the two IMO.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is absolutely a game changer. What other super hero ensemble movie have we seen like this, of this quality? I can't think of any. I don't mean something like Batman with the villain, Batman, and another entrant like Robin or Batgirl. I mean a true ensemble with more than a few major characters. The Avengers just blew the genre wide open.

That is how I see it as well. There was the X-men film but let's be honest...most of the characters nobody has ever heard of and you have 3 of the most iconic super heroes of all time in one film along side 2 lessor known but popular characters.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
X2 and first class. Avengers is the best of them, but it's not that much better than the rest IMO.

Ha! Forgot about them! I did think it was a lot better than those, but that's just MHO.

agreed. but it's a much more accessible film than either of the X movies which dealt with heavier themes... and just weren't as much fun IMO.

The last hour of this movie was ridiculous amounts of fun. i actually think if the first half wasn't as slow as it was for me, I'd probably rank it as one of my top three of all time, but it just took a little long getting going.

You know, when I was absolutely savoring the first half of the film, I figured it would end up like Iron Man 2. I'm like, 'it's just not Michael Bay enough for most people. They won't like it because it's not all explosions and action'. ;)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this movie again because I brought my kids to it. Another thing that I think should keep this from being so revered is how absolutely terrible Cap looks. During the first viewing it bothered me, looking at him the second time really irked me.

Thor, Iron Man and Hulk looked so F'n awesome...and Cap just looked dumb. He looked way better in his solo movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this movie again because I brought my kids to it. Another thing that I think should keep this from being so revered is how absolutely terrible Cap looks. During the first viewing it bothered me, looking at him the second time really irked me.

Thor, Iron Man and Hulk looked so F'n awesome...and Cap just looked dumb. He looked way better in his solo movie.

besides the somewhat slow buildup, the one thing that REALLY bumped me in this was Thor's arrival. He just seemed to come in out of nowhere... and the entire ending of Thor was about him smashing the Rainbow Bridge, which would keep him from getting back to Natalie Portman and earth, right? wasn't that the big moment in the climax of that film? Seemed to be completely ignored and him just showing up out of nowhere definitely made me think twice.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
besides the somewhat slow buildup, the one thing that REALLY bumped me in this was Thor's arrival. He just seemed to come in out of nowhere... and the entire ending of Thor was about him smashing the Rainbow Bridge, which would keep him from getting back to Natalie Portman and earth, right? wasn't that the big moment in the climax of that film? Seemed to be completely ignored and him just showing up out of nowhere definitely made me think twice.
It was explained, though forcibly so through a couple of lines from Loki --Hemindal had to gather all of the energy he could just to send Thor to get Loki and the Tesseract from Earth. It was only with the energy from the Tesseract could they return.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was explained, though forcibly so through a couple of lines from Loki it--Hemindal had to gather all of the energy he could just to send Thor to get Loki and the Tesseract from Earth. It was only with the energy from the Tesseract could they return.

ah. totally missed that.

supposedly, the director's cut was 3 hours long. it was probably better dealt with in there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I liked the uniform. That is probably one of the hardest (next to Wonder Woman) to translate to modern day film. I wouldn't mind someone taking another stab at it though simply because I didn't hate it but it wasn't like I was thinking that costume rocks like I did in Nolan's version of Batman.

It didn't detract though from my enjoyment of the film one bit.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think they could have messed with the hood a bit. But whatever..... Great flick.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this with the Mrs. and her BFF, thumbs up across the board. We may even go again this weekend.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The thing that irked me was how the Hulk was all of a sudden under control at the end. How did that happen or did I miss something?

Took the entire family to it and we all enjoyed it. It was just a really fun movie.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that irked me was how the Hulk was all of a sudden under control at the end. How did that happen or did I miss something?
Yeah, there's got to be a scene on the floor somewhere that helps explain that. I like that Banner and Stark left the movie together, though. I'd like to see a less mindless hulk in future movies and I'll bet that Stark and Banner make that happen.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's got to be a scene on the floor somewhere that helps explain that. I like that Banner and Stark left the movie together, though. I'd like to see a less mindless hulk in future movies and I'll bet that Stark and Banner make that happen.

I believe it ties to the end of the Hulk Movie.

Norton is meditating. Then his eyes turn Green and he smiles. It indicated to me he had gained some measure of control.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it ties to the end of the Hulk Movie.

Norton is meditating. Then his eyes turn Green and he smiles. It indicated to me he had gained some measure of control.

I would think that too, if he had more control of himself on the helicarrier. He was raging blindly there, but was pretty discriminate in his "smashing" during the invasion.

Not a huge deal for me. The Hulk was by far my favorite character in the movie; I just hope they can maintain the flavor in his next films.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that too, if he had more control of himself on the helicarrier. He was raging blindly there, but was pretty discriminate in his "smashing" during the invasion.

Not a huge deal for me. The Hulk was by far my favorite character in the movie; I just hope they can maintain the flavor in his next films.

I think it depends on how he is turned. He has more control over the Hulk when he turns himself. Where as in the helicarrier it was not by choice and therefore less control over the Hulk.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on how he is turned. He has more control over the Hulk when he turns himself. Where as in the helicarrier it was not by choice and therefore less control over the Hulk.
I suppose that could be it, but if so, you'd think a single line of dialog could have cleared it up.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose that could be it, but if so, you'd think a single line of dialog could have cleared it up.

Wasn't that sort of implied in the last movie? When Banner showed focus he was able to partially control the transformation at the end of the movie. Hulk was more focused on what Banner wanted him to do versus going on a mindless rampage.

At least that is how I remembered it but it's been some time.

Also, someone else pointed out to me that not only did Banner not have control over this first transformation but at that point he was annoyed and pissed off at Shield for brining him in. He thinks the combination of not controlling the transformation and his being pissed off at Shield resulted in no control.

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score

on the hellcarrier there was a scene where all the avengers in the research room. in the room was Loki's staff. they are all arguing and they are all not in control of their emotions. its kinda implied that the staff is having an influence in this....and climaxes with Banner holding the staff. shortly thereafter he turns into the Hulk.

i take it that as he turns into the hulk he has no control over his emotions at the time, and the rage the hulk has takes over.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the hellcarrier there was a scene where all the avengers in the research room. in the room was Loki's staff. they are all arguing and they are all not in control of their emotions. its kinda implied that the staff is having an influence in this....and climaxes with Banner holding the staff. shortly thereafter he turns into the Hulk.

i take it that as he turns into the hulk he has no control over his emotions at the time, and the rage the hulk has takes over.

You are right....forgot about that scene. Again, it would imply that when Banner doesn't have control over his emotions....the Hulk is uncontrollable versus when he is focused and controls the transformation.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
hey fellas....watched this one the other day with the family.

I was wondering if any of you see these movies as I do...... when I was a kid I was always caught up in the comic books.....even though they were somewhat cheaply drawn, and really basic delivering the storyline, for me there was a movie going in my head and I was just captivated by it. I was continually harrassed and teased by family and friends for how engrossed I would get in those old comics and in some cases television series'.
I have found that in some strange way seeing these comics come to life on the big screen has been an emotional experience for me. Watching older adults and all the generations that followed sit in the theater and cheer, and finally getting to see these characters as I have seen them in my mind my entire life....well, it gets me choked up,lol.....my woman teases me regularly now about this,lol.
The movie may have started a little slow but IMO it was to lay necessary groundwork for the story. The unfamiliarity and distrust between the heroes needed to be displayed in order to illustrate the growth of the characters and the team. Watching the relationship between Stark and Cap develop was fun...and seeing Stark develop into a leader as well as a follower was also interesting. SHIELD's main knock on Stark was that he cared more about himself and would not make sacrifices for the greater good....but when it was needed it was Iron Man who carried the nuke through the portal....big breakthrough for Tony Stark.
Finally seeing the Hulk develop personality was just ****ing awesome...the random bitch slap on Thor....letting Loki know that Gods do not impress him....Hulk was just so matter of fact......... Mark Ruffallo did a fantastic job, he brought an edgey disturbed side to the character that I loved.
As a compilation...bringing together a group of heroes, any of which can carry a movie alone, and blending them into a working storyline...awesome.....epic..... and IMO the best of the Super Hero movies so far.......... will own it....and will see the sequel.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Saw with my flick-friends today in 3D and we all thought it was great fun, written with sly humor, and very well-executed. Hulk was pivotal, and done perfectly, and Loki was outstanding. Downey Jr. has distilled Tony Stark to his very essence, and Capt. America was perfectly old-fashioned in the best possible way.

It is certainly not a 'game-changer' but it is a 'bar-raiser.' Has more classic comic book in it than most comic books, yet (narrowly) avoided getting campy or too self-conscious.

And after the scene with Hulk and Loki, I may have to rename my puppy 'Hulkette.' I couldn't stop laughing; the resemblance when she grabs a chew toy was remarkable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard