Marvel's The Avengers

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As sure as I am that Mormons eat their young, I am sure that TDKR will make most mortal's heads explode!

i hope you're right. I've been dying to see this since the last frame of TDK ended, but, between Bane being the big bad following up probably the biggest bad of all time and the just overall lack of fun and ridiculous anticipation, I just think it's gonna impossible for this not to be a let-down.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just got back from seeing it on IMAX in 3D. If you're afraid of a little geeking out, I suggest you move on.

Here are my non-spoiler thoughts:

1. Overall, I thought it was great--especially the second half.
  2. Sam Jackson over-played it
  3. Cap looks stupid with his hood up (yes, even allowing for a certain amount of leeway for wearing a super-hero costume). They should have kept the WWII suit—or at least stuck with the more helmet-like headgear. I’m still not sold with Chris Evans as Cap. He’s still more suited for Johnny Storm.
  4. They missed an opportunity early on for Cap to “earn” Thor’s respect. They should have had him pick up Thor’s hammer in the forest, then it would have made sense for Thor to fall in line when Cap is barking orders later in the movie.
  5. This is the best Hulk movie, yet. He’s the star—both as Banner and as the Hulk—even though he doesn’t get the same screen time as Iron Man and Cap.
  6. I think everyone is going to say this is the best comic book movie yet, but I’m not sure it’s going to hold up to that after a couple of years. I think it’s on par with Thor (which you should probably see before you see this one—it’s the one with the most direct links to The Avengers; Captain America, too…you don’t really need to see the Iron Man movies).
  7. The extra scenes are good. The first one tips you off to the next villain, the second one is just funny. And, the second one is about 7 minutes after the movie ends. If you need to pee (like I had to), you could get up and go and then come back and still catch it.
  8. The new Spider-Man trailer looks pretty f’n fantastic in IMAX 3-D. I hate that it’s yet another origin story, though.
  9. The new Batman movie looks like it could disappoint based on the trailer.

I just saw it and was going to post that. I can't wait to see a Mark Ruffalo 'Hulk' movie. They used him perfectly in this and he really stole the show.

I do think this movie is up there in terms of best comic book movies. The biggest thing about this movie was it's ambition and for the most part they stuck the landing. I've seen the movie and I still can't believe they were able to do this.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw it and was going to post that. I can't wait to see a Mark Ruffalo 'Hulk' movie. They used him perfectly in this and he really stole the show.
Ruffalo nailed it (crazy that he seemed to get the character better than Ed Norton and Eric Bana), but I don't think they should try to do another solo hulk flick. I think he needs other characters to play off of--and that's where you get the tension with him: is he going to follow the plan or just SMASH?

I hope they bring him to a place where he seemed to be at the end of the movie--not completely mindless, but still chaotic.

I love they way they made him more ape-like in this one. The CGI seemed WAY better than in the solo Hulk films.

I'd like to see a Hawkeye/Black Widow film. I think that's a movie that could bring even more people into the comic book movie fold because it doesn't have to be anything more than Mission Impossible meets Mr and Mrs Smith--it just happens to be set in a fantastical universe.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel's The Avengers

Release Date: May 4, 2012 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios, Paramount Pictures
Director: Joss Whedon
Screenwriter: Joss Whedon
Genre: Action, Adventure
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action throughout, and a mild drug reference)

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgard, Cobie Smulders, Clark Gregg, Samuel L. Jackson

Plot Summary: Continuing the epic big-screen adventures started in "Iron Man," "The Incredible Hulk," "Iron Man 2," "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger," "Marvel's The Avengers" is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as SHIELD, finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.

You must be registered for see images attach

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow. What a great movie. Usually great action movies like this have poor acting. The acting in this was superb. By everyone. Robert Downey Jr. stole the show IMO he did an awesome job in this movie. The guy who played Loki was awesome. He reminded me a lot of Jaquin Phoenix in Gladiator. It was funny and a lot of jokes you could see coming a mile away, but they still pulled them off. It was a really good movie and it went by fast. The final battle scene was terrific. BTW: the they had a trailer of the new Dark Knight movie and that looks fantastic. And yes I agree Hulk was awesome as well.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Damn, it was 3 in the morning, and I thought the first extra scene was it. Can anyone give me a description in spoiler format?

Oh, and this movie was fantastic! Some people that just want the explosions (the same haters that hated Iron Man 2) won't like the first half, but it was absolutely brilliant. Perfect setup. This movie really knocked it out of the park. Should earn good 'ole Joss the mojo to do another Firefly movie :D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, it was 3 in the morning, and I thought the first extra scene was it. Can anyone give me a description in spoiler format?
:D

it was a scene with all of them sitting around wordlessly eating shwarma in a dumpy little place. They dragged it out just the right amount of time -- probably a full minute -- for full comedic effect. For comic book geeks it's a very fun scene.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Team ASFN..... Should I see this in 3D or is 2D fine?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team ASFN..... Should I see this in 3D or is 2D fine?

2d is probably fine. But IMAX is still maybe worth it if you can find an IMAX showing without 3d.

I'm not generally a huge fan of 3d (the showing I saw just happened to be the best time for me), but I'll tell you this: I'm definitely going to see the new spiderman in 3d. That trailer was the best 3d cinema I've ever seen.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i hope you're right. I've been dying to see this since the last frame of TDK ended, but, between Bane being the big bad following up probably the biggest bad of all time and the just overall lack of fun and ridiculous anticipation, I just think it's gonna impossible for this not to be a let-down.

OK question. If you already think its not going to be very good and disappoint, then how on earth could it ever be a let down when your expectations are already so low? If anything with such low expectations it will either be what you expected IE no letdown. Or it will pleasantly surprise you?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK question. If you already think its not going to be very good and disappoint, then how on earth could it ever be a let down when your expectations are already so low? If anything with such low expectations it will either be what you expected IE no letdown. Or it will pleasantly surprise you?

because they're really not that low. they're not sky high like TDK, but knowing it's Nolan at the controls and the end of the trilogy, i'm... I don't know.

Saw The Avengers. Thought it was good... didn't think it was amazing. First half was kinda slow and it took off after that... the last 45 minutes and the Hulk were AWESOME. But just didn't transcend the genre IMO.

Ranks behind Iron Man, Spidey 1 and 2, Batman, Batman Returns and it's MILES from TDK which still is the gold standard for comic book movies IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was a scene with all of them sitting around wordlessly eating shwarma in a dumpy little place. They dragged it out just the right amount of time -- probably a full minute -- for full comedic effect. For comic book geeks it's a very fun scene.

i'm not a huge comic book geek, but I think for anyone who stuck around, that scene was pretty genius.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

Oh, and this movie was fantastic! Some people that just want the explosions (the same haters that hated Iron Man 2) won't like the first half, but it was absolutely brilliant. Perfect setup. This movie really knocked it out of the park. Should earn good 'ole Joss the mojo to do another Firefly movie :D

$200 million in the opening weekend. I think Joss Whedon can do absolutely anything he wants to do.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$200 million in the opening weekend. I think Joss Whedon can do absolutely anything he wants to do.

Hopefully he can work in the other original founding members from the comics.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2. :jedi:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie was amazing. It is probably tied now for my favorite superhero flick (which is TDK). It's hard to compare these two movies simply because they are very different in tone. I love the "dark" approach to Batman because that is where that franchise should be and one of the reason it has been my favorite. Also, HL simply put in the best performance I have seen out of a villain in a superhero movie.

However, this movie simply left me on a superhero high once I exited the theater. There is no greater compliment to a superhero movie than that. There was action, conflict and enough screen time for each character. Also, the humor was typical Whedon brilliance IMO. Great writing and the scene after the credits was brilliant. The movie is not without it's flaws but they are nitpicky just like Bale's take on Batman's guttural voice on steroids.

All my life I have wanted to see a "team" of superheros come to life on screen just like the cartoons did when I was a kid. I always dreamed of seeing the Justice League, Avengers or X-Men on screen. Prior to this the X-Men, which is still one of my favorites, was the only to succeed. However, the Justice League and Avengers are the ones I have really wanted to see on the big screen.

Joss Whedon pulled off what I thought we be impossible to do with so many characters. Especially the Hulk. He hit that character out of the park. I seriously thought that character would just be an afterthought after that past two attempts (although I liked EN's version much better versus the very first). He did the opposite and the Hulk was represented to the fullest IMO. Not only that but MR played Banner better than anyone to date. Great casting choice IMO.

It has been a very very very long time since I have seen the same movie twice. I plan on going again to see this film. Nuff said.

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
A buddy of mine made a really good point about this movie and the Dark Knight. This is a great adaptation of a comic book while the Dark Knight is a great adaptation of a graphic novel.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine made a really good point about this movie and the Dark Knight. This is a great adaptation of a comic book while the Dark Knight is a great adaptation of a graphic novel.
I don't understand this comment at all. Comic books ARE graphic novels, and neither is a retelling of something told in that medium.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the Hulk and Ruffalo, I'm hoping they do a version of The Defenders -- Doctor Strange (it's rumored that Patrick Dempsey really wants that part), Silver Surfer and the Hulk.

That way Marvel gets to introduce Doc Strange, they get their Surfer movie AND they get a hulk movie without having to have him be the one to completely carry it.

(I'd have Doc Strange be someone Banner goes to for help to get control over "the other guy." Maybe Surfer is someone they run into in their cosmic search for Zen).

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand this comment at all. Comic books ARE graphic novels, and neither is a retelling of something told in that medium.

It is the different style of story. Graphic novels are darker comics, which Nolan's Batman series are.