Marvel's The Avengers

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paving the way for the production and release of its multi-character superhero film, The Avengers, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. announced today an adjusted release pipeline for its self-produced feature film properties that reflects the first time individual Super Hero characters and story arcs will be inter-woven and culminate in a multi-character motion picture.

Separately, Marvel Studios confirmed today that Sony Pictures Entertainment will release Spider-Man 4 on May 6, 2011. Additionally, Marvel Studios has revised the release dates for Thor and The First Avenger: Captain America as part of its release strategy for an uninterrupted road to The Avengers, now debuting May 4, 2012.

A Marvel character-based film will now launch the summer box office season for three years in a row, from 2010 through 2012.

"This new schedule strongly sequences Marvel's movie debut dates, big screen character introductions and momentum. It maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multi-character 'The Avengers' film in 2012," said David Maisel, Chairman, Marvel Studios.

Sony Pictures' and Marvel Studios' Spider-Man 4 is slated for May 6, 2011. To date, all three motion pictures in the phenomenally successful "Spider-Man" franchise have generated nearly $2.5 billion worldwide theatrically.

Below is Marvel Studios' 2010-2012 updated release schedule for its slate of self-produced and financed feature films:

Marvel Studios Feature Film Pipeline
Film/Character - Prior Release Date - Current Release Date

Iron Man 2 - May 7, 2010 - May 7, 2010
Thor - July 16, 2010 - June 17, 2011
The First Avenger: Captain America - May 6, 2011 - July 22, 2011
The Avengers - July 15, 2011 - May 4, 2012

The release date for Iron Man 2 remains unchanged on May 7, 2010. Iron Man 2 is the sequel to the blockbuster film, Iron Man, which has grossed nearly $600 million worldwide.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think Matt Damon or B. Pitt need to be Captain America.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think Matt Damon or B. Pitt need to be Captain America.

Both too old for an origin story...by around 20 yrs for Damon and around 30 for Pitt.

It needs to be someone in their early 20's or at least someone who can pass for that young.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damon would be a great choice, I think. Forget him being too young. He IS captain america.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joss Whedon to direct The Avengers?

Now that all the Captain America casting rumors are in the past, the focus has moved on to finding out who will direct The Avengers. Marvel has apparently narrowed down the possibilities to a short list which so far has not been leaked. However one name is being reported to be on that very list and it is an intriguing one…Joss Whedon. According to IESB this is “not an April Fools joke” though some are hesitant to buy into the news still given the date.

At one time Whedon was writing the script for Wonder Woman with plans to direct but the idea got shelved. He has also written comic books including ‘Astonishing X-Men’ and ‘Runaways’ for Marvel. That does lend some credibility to the idea of a relaitonship between the two sides which could be strong enough to consider the idea of handing The Avengers over to him. He also has experience with ensemble casts which would come in handy for the franchise.

Whedon has an intensely dedicated base of fans but they alone have not been able to support his projects in the past. Firefly and Serenity, Dollhouse, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel were all well received but had limited levels of success. Whedon would be a popular choice on the internet but it remains to be seen whether Marvel is willing to risk such a huge franchise in the hands of someone who hasn’t been successful on a larger scale.

This would be awesome.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He handles ensembles VERY well. I'd be psyched for Whedon to direct the avengers--especially if he had a hand in writing it.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would pee everywhere.
His run on one of the X-men (Astonishing?) was a perfect example of how to handle such a thing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100725/D9H5S4382.html

Samuel L. Jackson announces 'Avengers' cast

Jul 25, 12:48 AM (ET)
SAN DIEGO (AP) -

Comic book fans no longer have to imagine what it might be like to see all their favorite superheroes in one place.

They got the chance Saturday at Comic-Con, when the cast of the forthcoming "Avengers" film took the stage. Samuel L. Jackson surprised some 6,000 fans gathered for a Marvel Studios presentation when he stepped out just as it was ending and started introducing the cast of "The Avengers."

Jackson brought out stars Clark Gregg, Scarlett Johannson, Chris Hemsworth of "Thor" and Chris Evans of "Captain America."

He then introduced another surprise guest, Robert Downey Jr., who brought out the rest of the all-star cast, including Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye and Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner.

"The Avengers" is based on the comic book series of the same name, which brings various Marvel superheroes together. The film is due in 2012.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also the worst kept secret but official that Joss Whedon is writing and directing the Avengers.

Sweet!!!!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me is that we're on our 3rd Bruce Banner.

Doesn't bother me a bit. Out of all the Hero flicks, they have had the hardest time nailing the Hulk. He is not going to be the center of the Avengers universe so I don't really care. It would have been cool if they could have gotten EN but no big deal.

This movie looks like it will rock!!!!!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As good as Norton is (and Bana, for that matter) Rufalo might be a really good fit for Banner. Also, in regards to the Hulk, I like that he doesn't seem to be just a mindless monster in this one--the clip of him snatching Iron Man out of free-fall is pretty sweet.

I hope they spin off a Hawkeye movie. He was always one of my favorites, and I like how they're going with the "Ultimate" Hawkeye instead of the normal Marvel 'verse Hawkeye.

I can't freaking wait for this one. I'll be there for the midnight show.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As good as Norton is (and Bana, for that matter) Rufalo might be a really good fit for Banner. Also, in regards to the Hulk, I like that he doesn't seem to be just a mindless monster in this one--the clip of him snatching Iron Man out of free-fall is pretty sweet.

I hope they spin off a Hawkeye movie. He was always one of my favorites, and I like how they're going with the "Ultimate" Hawkeye instead of the normal Marvel 'verse Hawkeye.

I can't freaking wait for this one. I'll be there for the midnight show.

I don't really know anything about the "Ultimate" characters or his adventures from the past 30 plus years but when he was initally introduced he was probably my least favorite comic book hero. Did he finally stop being a first class jerk? I can only take so much of that "chip on my shoulder" BS that seemed to drive him into conflict with both friend and foe. As for me, I'd rather see an Ant Man movie.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GREAT trailer. this movie looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn