Marion's Defense

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this guy being mention for "Defensive Player of the Year" honors?

Last summer, my son went to Stephon Marbury's summer basketball camp in Coney Island, and one of the days I stayed to watch my son and all the other campers run drills and whatnot. Marbury kept saying that for the scrimmage at the end of the day, they were going to have a surprise guest who, as Steph phrased it, was "a fellow NBA All-Star." After I spent the next 2 hours confused, struggling to figure out what other NBA all-star Marbury thought was at the camp for him to use "fellow," the guest showed up. It was Shawn Marion. He gave the excited kids a little speech, and the kids barely seemed to notice that Shawn was talking complete gibberish, gobbly-digook, nonsense, or what-have-you. Anyway, the point of this story is that Marion and marbury played in the scrimmage, but they didn't guard each other. Marion guarded the oposing team's shooting guard. Keep in mind, these are 10 and 11 year olds, and the shooting guard was about 5'2, 110 pounds. Marbury kept feeding this kid in the post, and he scored 14 points in a row. He had two and-1s (not the apparel company, i mean twice Marion fouled him and the kid made the shot and went to the line)! Finally, when the kid tried to score his 16th-straight point, Marion blocked the shot like 10 feet out of bounds, and for like 3 seconds he had that angry "I'm want to talk **** but don't know how to verbalize my emotions", like after he dunks the ball in a suns game. Then, he either realized that he was playing against 10 year olds or lost his train of thought, and he gave a little half smile and patted the kid on the head. On the inbounds, the kid gave a pump fake, marion flew into the air, and the kid up-and-under for a little baby hook/layup type deal.

Now, you should know that I made that story up completely. I don't even have a son. But the fact that you believed it, or at least thought that it could realistically be true, in my opinion says it all. I don't think anybody really think Marion's a very good defender. Saying "a ten year old could post him up" is an exaggeration, or at least a big stretch. As a Suns fan, I guess I'd be happy if he won. I'd rather see Pat Burke get it though. Or, who is that point guard that we got the rights to in the Marbury trade from the Knicks? He may not play in the NBA, but if enough people say that he's the DPOY, maybe it'll take.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused:

What is your point exactly?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I've read many dumb posts on this board, hell, I've probably made my fair share.

But this one ranks right near the top.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to apply some logic here. Perhaps someone is just reorganizing their thoughts... maybe like a Disk Defragmenter on a PC.

:)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to apply some logic here. Perhaps someone is just reorganizing their thoughts... maybe like a Disk Defragmenter on a PC.

That's a very nice way of putting it.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I've read many dump posts on this board, hell, I've probably made my fair share.

But this one ranks right near the top.

The comical part is, we know that at least three or four of the regulars here read that story, accepted every word of it as gospel, got to feeling happy as little kids at the circus, and mentally composed their responses before they hit the last paragraph. One can only imagine their disappointment. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The comical part is, we know that at least three or four of the regulars here read that story, accepted every word of it as gospel, got to feeling happy as little kids at the circus, and mentally composed their responses before they hit the last paragraph. One can only imagine their disappointment. :)

Actually I thought the last paragraph made the thread all the more disturbing. The reference to Pat Burke among others... DPOY ???

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
hmmm... interesting story.

that reminds me of this one time, i had a cousin who played for villanova. they were having a shoot around before a game one day when an unicorn walked in and challenged the whole team to a game of bump out. of course my cousin and the team were all "whatever, unicorn! we can totally take you!" so they start playing and the unicorn is actually making them sweat a little. he's not too bad. so it gets down to the end and just my cousin, a backup forward named mickey "big knees" malloy and the unicorn are left. my cousin hits his shot, the unicorn misses and then big knees comes in right behind him and makes the shot, knocking out the unicorn. the whole team goes crazy over the win, that is, until the unicorn stabbed big knees in the stomach with his horn and flew out the window.

so, as this story clearly illustrates, marion is not too hot on defense.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

that reminds me of this one time, i had a cousin who played for villanova. they were having a shoot around before a game one day when an unicorn walked in and challenged the whole team to a game of bump out. of course my cousin and the team were all "whatever, unicorn! we can totally take you!" so they start playing and the unicorn is actually making them sweat a little. he's not too bad. so it gets down to the end and just my cousin, a backup forward named mickey "big knees" malloy and the unicorn are left. my cousin hits his shot, the unicorn misses and then big knees comes in right behind him and makes the shot, knocking out the unicorn. the whole team goes crazy over the win, that is, until the unicorn stabbed big knees in the stomach with his horn and flew out the window.

Sweet. Your cousin has skills.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So Marion is the unicorn? ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm just waiting until the Suns can sign that ten-year-old. Can you say DYNASTY?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope your remark about Marion's defense is just part of our visit to fantasyland created by the thread (IMO meant to demean Marion's defense).

I will not indulge in this insult. I think Marion is one of the Suns best defenders, however, what gets lost is that he is only about 6'7" and frequently has to guard much taller players like Dirk who is 7 foot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was. i personally am a big fan of marion. i think he takes more crap than he deserves.

I knew it Jenna. Your a good poster and I thought you were jesting.

Your right, I can't believe Marion has to take so much crap.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen