Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not impressed. The Nets famously got screwed on the Harden/Simmons deal. They also didn't get much for Kyrie. He hasn't really been there for any big moves other than how they bent us over on the KD deal. Maybe that's why Ishbia likes him?
He knows where the Suns draft picks are stored....

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So apparently James Jones said there is no scenario where one of the big 3 will be traded this offseason.

While I suspected this, it is none the less devastating to hear it officially.

It is going to get very very dark for Suns fans for at least the next 5 years.

Why is that devastating? Trading any of the three would be silly at the moment. You don't start impulsively making moves for the sake of making moves. We won 49 games last season with a head coach that was sniffing glue the entire season. Little, Nurkic and #22 are the primary trade chips.

There will come a time in which one (or all) of the three will need to be dealt. Today's not that day.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it's weird being depressed before you know the outcome. Maybe they know what they're doing. Personally, I'll wait and see what they do and then I can get depressed if need be. No need to start early.
Agree. What’s also been lost in all this doom and gloom is once KD and beal’s contracts are done we will have a ton of cap room (particularly as it trends up). So we might not have a ton of picks, but we will have book and a ton of $$$ to spend in free agency with an owner with deep pockets and willingness to spend. So who knows what the future may bring? I kinda feel like all the doomsayers are like the people on the cards board that predict the rams demise every season because they trade all their picks, and yet year-in and year-out the rams make the playoffs. Alternative roster management isn’t always a losing scenario.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not impressed. The Nets famously got screwed on the Harden/Simmons deal. They also didn't get much for Kyrie. He hasn't really been there for any big moves other than how they bent us over on the KD deal. Maybe that's why Ishbia likes him?

Until the Nets traded Durant to Phoenix, they were a team I didn't want to model after. Maybe they have learned their lesson.

Now the Suns are becoming the Nets.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree. What’s also been lost in all this doom and gloom is once KD and beal’s contracts are done we will have a ton of cap room (particularly as it trends up). So we might not have a ton of picks, but we will have book and a ton of $$$ to spend in free agency with an owner with deep pockets and willingness to spend. So who knows what the future may bring? I kinda feel like all the doomsayers are like the people on the cards board that predict the rams demise every season because they trade all their picks, and yet year-in and year-out the rams make the playoffs. Alternative roster management isn’t always a losing scenario.
Sounds like Jerry Jones syndrome.

To me.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
mavs went from ducking the playoffs to the western conference finals in one year flat - didn't have to shuffle the entire deck to do it - i wasn't sure kyrie would stick around after the trade then they add washington and jones

far as the suns - 2024 will be our one year flat - between the starters playing together a season and - im really excited about the new head coach - the west will get better but so will we - seating is whatever it's about being healthy and clicking and im really excited about the new coach - i think next year will be more enjoyable to watch

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
mavs went from ducking the playoffs to the western conference finals in one year flat - didn't have to shuffle the entire deck to do it - i wasn't sure kyrie would stick around after the trade then they add washington and jones

far as the suns - 2024 will be our one year flat - between the starters playing together a season and - im really excited about the new head coach - the west will get better but so will we - seating is whatever it's about being healthy and clicking and im really excited about the new coach - i think next year will be more enjoyable to watch

Big difference is they ducked the playoffs to get a lottery pick in a good draft. With that they added a rotation player, Lively, and he helped strengthen their frontcourt. They made some bad signings, like Grant Williams, but flipped him for Washington and Gafford, with a future pick involved. The Suns have nothing like that at their disposal and theyre over the 2nd apron so they can't aggregate players/salaries in a deal. The Suns only way forward is trading Little or Nurkic with their pick for someone who fits better and if they trade Nurk, they better get a C in return. Outside of that they can also re-sign Royce O'Neale and try to trade him as an expiring contract at the deadline but they'll need a suitor who is willing to move off a deal without anything other than a 2031 1st in addition to Royce. So our options to improve are extremely limited. That's why trading KD makes more sense. It gets us out of the financial hole we're in and will remain in for at least 2 more years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they do reload via FA, that probably also guarantees none of the picks they gave up will convey to much either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sounds like Jerry Jones syndrome.

To me.
It might be. It could also be the rams. Ultimately it’s about picking the right talent to put together with the right coaching staff. My point is when money is no object it doesn’t matter if you choose to build a team via draft, trades, free agency or a combination thereof, it’s ultimately about talent evaluation, fit, and scheme b

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KD becomes eligible for nearly $60 million in a one year extension starting with the new league year. It doesn't have to be extended immediately, but it will become a topic here in the Valley starting with the new league year.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
If this were baseball, I'd score James Jones as follows:

Strike 1, not drafting Haliburton.

Strike 2, not trading Ayton for Turner.

Strike 3, trading the farm for Durant.
1 and 2, definitely. 3 I'm not sure we can fully pin on JJ. The reporting at the time was that he didn't to throw in the kitchen sink but Ishbia basically overruled him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD becomes eligible for nearly $60 million in a one year extension starting with the new league year. It doesn't have to be extended immediately, but it will become a topic here in the Valley starting with the new league year.

How do you get out of a hole?

With a shovel!

The hubris involved in that deal would sure be something.

"I just took out a second mortgage on that swamp I bought last year... yeah, right before the market turned".

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KD don’t get no extension from us.
It's $60 Mil for one year because there's a 38 year old exception in the CBA now. Guys that are 38 or older can only extend for one year. KD will be 38 in the season that it would apply.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's $60 Mil for one year because there's a 38 year old exception in the CBA now. Guys that are 38 or older can only extend for one year. KD will be 38 in the season that it would apply.

Absolutely not.

I cannot fathom any scenario where that ends up being a good deal for us. He turns 36 in a few months, we don't need to lock him up until he is pushing 40.

I expect he will be traded next summer, or sooner.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I liked what I saw and heard from Bukstein. Why James Jones is still employed, who knows.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's a laugh. Like the assistant GMs were responsible for the idiotic roster moves throughout James Jones' tenure.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Absolutely not.

I cannot fathom any scenario where that ends up being a good deal for us. He turns 36 in a few months, we don't need to lock him up until he is pushing 40.

I expect he will be traded next summer, or sooner.
I agree, what I have a hard time envisioning is how the team improves, to a championship level, by trading KD. Whatever we bring back has to contribute more than he does, which seems unlikely, and it doesn't make sense to begin a full rebuild until we regain control of our own lottery picks.

If the right trade presents itself, such as a young, starting caliber PF and PG then it's a no brainer for me, I just think it's unlikely.

The sad truth is we are probably stuck until the end of the 26-27 season when Beal may want to renegotiate his contract and KD's contract is off the books or he's been traded. Not controlling our picks after the 26-27 season is going to hurt.