Making Sense: Cardinals' Waivers

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What we do know:

1. Thus far, none of the players the Cardinals waived have been claimed or signed by other teams. From that perspective the coaches did a good job---it means that they will be able to hold on to a number of the young players they like by signing them to the practice squad.

2. Five TEs were claimed by teams above the Cardinals in the WWC pecking order:

KC: Sean McGrath (SEA)
JX: Clay Harbor (PHI)
JX: D.J. Williams (GB)
CL: Marqueis Gray (SF)
CL: Keavon Milton (NO)

3. 2 DTs were claimed ahead of the Cardinals:

KC: Jaye Howard (SEA)
OAK: Brian Sanford (CLE)

4. 3 Guards...

JX: Jacques McClendon (ATL)
OAK: Antoine McClain (BAL)
CLE: Patrick Lewis (GB)

5. Notable Names the Cardinals Could Have Claimed But Didn't:

MIN: T J'Marcus Webb (CHI)
SD: DT Drake Nevis (IND)
NYJ: G Ben Ijalana (IND)
NYJ: LB/DE Scott Solomon (TEN)
NE: C Braxton Cave (CLE)
NE: G Chris Barker (MIA)
NE: DT A.J. Francis (MIA)
IND: TE Jack Doyle (TEN)
TB: NT Chris Jones (HOU)
TB: WR Russell Shepard (PHI)

(Please add ones that I missed)

6. The Cardinals claimed T/TE Bradley Sowell (6-7, 320, 2, Mississippi, Colts). Was with BA and HC last year---was used at tackle and as a blocking TE. This video of Sowell back in 2009, shows that early on at Ole Miss he was used as a TE. BA must have picked up on this last year---or Sowell drew his attention to it. Can be used on STs as well. Figures to be one of the 45 actives on game day as a situational TE, backup T and STs player.

Bradley Sowell Interview 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzN5IXjQ70o

7. The Cardinals claimed NT Alameda Ta'amu (6-3, 348, 2, Washington, 2012 #109 pick 4th round, Steelers). Big beefy NT with off the field issues, who is strong on the upper half but not as much on the lower half, which does not bode well for NFL NTs. Interesting that with all the emphasis BA and TB have placed on weight with Dan Williams, that they counter with Ta'amu.

What We Don't Know:

1. Did the Cardinals put in a claim for any of the players that were claimed ahead of them (mentioned above)? I am guessing that they put in a claim for Clay Harbor or D.J. Williams---and possibly Marqueis Gray who has tremendous potential.

2. What trade discussions the Cardinals were having regarding the CBs and/or RB Ryan Williams? Steve Keim said earlier in the week that teams had been calling about the CBs. This is why they held on to CB Brian McCann---in case they did trade Fleming or Cason. We know that no trades have been made---so whatever teams were offering, it wasn't enough. Possible miscalculation there---or simply a conclusion that they would rather keep Fleming and Williams.

3. What is the plan at WR? Carrying 4 (plus Patrick Peterson) makes the offense (predicated on a vertical passing game) especially vulnerable should any of the WRs get injured or gassed. Plus, right now Rob Houlsler the top TE is nursing an ankle injury. There may be a plan in place for a veteran WR who will sign after week one (I have been wondering if they discussed this with Mike Thomas). But some roster decision needs to be made here sooner rather than later.

4 How long will the team keep 5 RBs? BA doesn't like to juggle RBs, so the need for 5 seems superfluous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think that with all the claims and trades made for TEs yesterday and now today with Dallas getting a 2014 7th round pick for Dante Rosario, the Cardinals did a very smart thing by protecting D.C. Jefferson.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Just reported by MJ that T Jamal Johnson-Webb has been signed to the Bears' PS. Perhaps after adding Sowell yesterday, the Cardinals didn't feel the need to sign Johnson-Webb to the PS---or Johnson-Webb and his agent preferred Chicago. I thought he was going to be a super sleeper. It looks like I was wrong---at least for the Cardinals, that is.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I read somewhere that with Sowell at LT and Massey at RT Ole Miss gave up the fewest sacks in the SEC in 2011...and that the Ole Miss line's pass protection grades were outstanding.

However, according to the consensus of various scouting reports, Sowell does not project as an NFL LT.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jamal Johnson-Webb was picked up by (I think) the Bears.

Kerry Taylor is said to have been picked up by...us (PS).

Reaction score
2. Five TEs were claimed by teams above the Cardinals in the WWC pecking order:

KC: Sean McGrath (SEA)
JX: Clay Harbor (PHI)
JX: D.J. Williams (GB)
CL: Marqueis Gray (SF)
CL: Keavon Milton (NO)
I would like to see the rules changed regarding the waiver wire. It seems unfair that two teams should be allowed to sweep up four waived TE's. :mad:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our list so far:

Dontay Moch Lb
Philip Blake c/g - RG111's centre at Baylor
Kerry Taylor wo
Curtis Taylor S
Kenny Rowe Lb

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not one player from the 2012 practice squad is still with the team.

But then they're for practice and not really expected to ever actually play in real games.

T Steven Baker, LB Ricky Elmore, DT Ricky Lumpkin, LB Colin Parker, CB Larry Parker, WR Gerell Robinson, TE Steve Skelton, WR Isaiah Williams.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But then they're for practice and not really expected to ever actually play in real games.

T Steven Baker, LB Ricky Elmore, DT Ricky Lumpkin, LB Colin Parker, CB Larry Parker, WR Gerell Robinson, TE Steve Skelton, WR Isaiah Williams.

Lumpkin is on IR so technically he is with the team. :)

Basically the effort and time I have spent on who BASK puts on the PS has been wasted since your post illustrates how little / no impact these players will have on Sundays in the future.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lumpkin is on IR so technically he is with the team. :)

Basically the effort and time I have spent on who BASK puts on the PS has been wasted since your post illustrates how little / no impact these players will have on Sundays in the future.

Well there is that very small chance that we might find an Antonio Smith on our practice squad. But then that would just be grooming an All-Pro for some other team. :D

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Didn't Larry Parker play some last year? Is Gerell Robinson on the Broncos now?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Didn't Larry Parker play some last year? Is Gerell Robinson on the Broncos now?

Just pre season as far as I can find. Robinson I believe is on the Broncos practice squad.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well there is that very small chance that we might find an Antonio Smith on our practice squad. But then that would just be grooming an All-Pro for some other team. :D

And that's the good news. :)

Antonio did play a significant role in our SB year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And that's the good news. :)

Antonio did play a significant role in our SB year.

More Cardinal oddities. We all agree that Calais was a rising star and letting Antonio get big money somewhere else was the right move. But then Smith makes the pro bowl last season and Calais hasn't. Just goes to show that pro bowl selections have more to do with being on winning teams and reputation than actual talent. And how great Fitz is that he's overcome playing in the media wasteland of Arizona to become a national figure.

Speaking of pro bowls. It's very appropriate that the Cards have had so many punters selected. :p

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Glad to see Curtis Taylor back on the PS.
I thought 26 flashed some ability and hustle late in the preseason games.

Sowell seems like an interesting prospect with his versatility. I loved the full house backfield/3 TE looks against Denver.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one exception to BA's BPA approach to stocking his roster may very well be the PS. I think he's using the PS to fill specific depth needs:

After he added quality OT depth in Sowell and a .big guy to back up Dumpster Dan - that'd be Ta'amu - he turned to his PS to fill specific needs.

He wanted a pass rusher in case Abraham went down, and grabbed Moch.

He was going with only 4 WR's (plus PP21) and wanted a reliable possession guy. Welcome back Kerry T.

We're kind of thin at OC - say "hi" to Blake.

He wanted more than 4 safeties on his full 61 so he brought back C Taylor.

I'm not sure what role Rowe fills - except he's all-around, energetic and adds speed & quickness to our group of LB's.

That leaves 3 PS spots to fill, and I expect us to continue to address needs:

1. Speed at WR (Hawkins?)

2 & 3. An all-purpose TE & a Housler TE clone who can run and catch.