Major League Soccer Expansion

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think its weird how all they kept saying was that the soccer specific stadium was priority #1 then Seattle gest picked.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think its weird how all they kept saying was that the soccer specific stadium was priority #1 then Seattle gest picked.

Yeah and as far as I know there is no talk of New England having a soccer specific stadium anytime soon either.

I think mostly it had to do with MLS wanting a team in the NW market...or it might have been the ownership group. Paull Allen as a minority owner sure doesn't hurt.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah and as far as I know there is no talk of New England having a soccer specific stadium anytime soon either.

I think mostly it had to do with MLS wanting a team in the NW market...or it might have been the ownership group. Paull Allen as a minority owner sure doesn't hurt.

I agree, I just hope that MLS doesn't lose sight of the overall ultimate vision for the league. I think soccer specific stadium add so much. On another note, I was hearing serious rumblings today that Phoenix is being STRONGLY considered for 2010 or 2011. I don't want to reveal my source but they are legit and the news they gave me seemed very plausible.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From ESPN....

Chester, St. Louis in the running for MLS franchise
Associated Press

CHESTER, Pa. -- It's down to the wire for an investment group attempting to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Chester.

The league this week awarded one of two new franchises to Seattle, so now it's between Chester and St. Louis for the 16th and final spot.

Attorney Charles Kopp represents the Philadelphia-area investors. He says they have the land and funding from Delaware County, and a funding package from the state would put the over the top.

The investors will need to get a commitment from state lawmakers in Harrisburg before the current legislative session ends in less than two weeks.

Kopp believes the Delaware Valley is the best place for the franchise because it's a bigger market than St. Louis and it rounds out the East Coast along with Boston, New York, and Washington.

16 is a good number, keeps the league even. If they want to further expand give it 10 years, the talent needs to catch up first.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
chester?!!? - are you f'ing kidding me?! - chester?! - that place is a pure slum

still trying to figure out what is wrong with this place

You must be registered for see images

as far as seattle - when Qwest field was funded part of the stipulation was that it would be a potential MLS site - this was before the soccer only influx - they also had to clear the field turf with various soccer sanctioning bodies - the field was build specifically to be able to host soccer - looks like they finally got their payoff

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
chester?!!? - are you f'ing kidding me?! - chester?! - that place is a pure slum

still trying to figure out what is wrong with this place

You must be registered for see images

as far as seattle - when Qwest field was funded part of the stipulation was that it would be a potential MLS site - this was before the soccer only influx - they also had to clear the field turf with various soccer sanctioning bodies - the field was build specifically to be able to host soccer - looks like they finally got their payoff

That is a nice staidum...wow...looks lie it could be further expanded too if necessary. Not sure why Rochester gets snubbed. They are arguably the most succesful A League team.

How far outside of Philly is Chester?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
if you follow the river (or I 95) about 15 - 20 miles south of downtown philly you would run into chester

they have a college there Widener University which they actually keep fairly nice

however about a quarter of the city is under the poverty line - not exactly a place where philadelphians are looking to flock to - the current sports complexes aren't in a great neighborhood - but there is really no neighborhood around them - you get off the highway, you park (or you take the train in) and it's really nothing but stadiums - you don't actually have to deal with the surroundings

i don't see how they could do that in chester

then again, they built the stadium in Rochester by where old silver stadium was - a rougher area of the city and it's not like rochester is all that pretty - but it's a smaller urban area with some very nice burbs and good distance to other local communities and they've shown a draw

I just don't see people making an afternoon / evening of it and going to chester to watch soccer

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
More on expansion...

WASHINGTON -- With San Jose and Seattle already in, Philadelphia and St. Louis could be the next cities to join Major League Soccer.

MLS commissioner Don Garber on Friday listed nine cities as candidates for expansion, with the Philadelphia and the St. Louis at the top of the list.

"Our focus today is more than likely on those two," Garber said in his state of the league address at the National Press Club.

With the decision earlier this season that San Jose will begin play next year and Tuesday's announcement that Seattle will start in 2009, MLS has grown to 15 teams. Garber said the goal is to add a "16th by the end of the year."

He also said the league is seeking to have 18 teams by 2010-2011.

Besides Philadelphia -- which had two teams in the old North American Soccer League -- and St. Louis, which has been a traditional base of support for the sport, Garber noted interest form Falcons owner Arthur Blank in Atlanta and from Mets owner Fred Wilpon for a second team in the New York area. The cities of Las Vegas, Miami, Montreal, Portland, and Vancouver, British Columbia are also possibilities, he said.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that AZ is suffering from the lack of a credible ownership group stepping up. Our only chance for soccer could be the USL but that doesn't sound too appealing. Oh well, I've been a Galaxy fan for the past 5 years so I'll continue to make the drive.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Miami-Dade County commissioners just approved the framework for funding today that would be a soccer only stadium (along with the marlins ballpark) on the site of the Orange Bowl

Should be ready to go by 2011

this has to make miami a serious player now for MLS

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Thats kinda out of nowhere. Miami wasn't even considered one of the favorites when it came to places like Philly & St Louis.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - that's what I was thinking - it had been on the backburner for a while and with the limited success of the fusion down there I didn't expect them to make a play

i was following the story only because of the marlins stadium issue - then at the last minute they threw on a proposal to build a soccer only stadium on the same site with the intentions of trying to draw an MLS team

esc

Reaction score
azsouthendzone said: I agree, I just hope that MLS doesn't lose sight of the overall ultimate vision for the league. I think soccer specific stadium add so much. On another note, I was hearing serious rumblings today that Phoenix is being STRONGLY considered for 2010 or 2011. I don't want to reveal my source but they are legit and the news they gave me seemed very plausible.

This is true. Since the valley did not get an ownership together in time, they are shooting for the next expansion. So most likely they will not meet the 2010 deadline. MLS wants to put a team here due to the large soccer fan base and large Hispanic population here.

For the past 8 months I have been working with phx soccer club on a location. I will have to say, I am impressed how they have stuck it out, have done there research and so forth. the major problem is landing that solid ownership group. There is interest out there, but no movement that I know of as of late. MLS has told phx if they want a team, it has to be an indoor stadium. the club wants a retractable roof which will raise the cost by 20 mil. But this will be better for other events at the soccer specific stadium. The next issue is that they want it to be more centralized towards the east valley due to the stadiums in downtown and in the west valley. They have had a few discussions with some of the cities.

I know some will blow off phx as a destination, but I would not.

Last edited:

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
personally i think a team in Arizona makes a ton of sense... I don't remember but didn't the USA vs Mexico game sell out?

Philly and Arizona make a lot more sense than Miami and St. Louis imo..

although if we ever change our schedule to go along with the rest of the world than Arizona and Miami make the most sense... Who wants to go play in Philly in late January....

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
personally i think a team in Arizona makes a ton of sense... I don't remember but didn't the USA vs Mexico game sell out?

Philly and Arizona make a lot more sense than Miami and St. Louis imo..

although if we ever change our schedule to go along with the rest of the world than Arizona and Miami make the most sense... Who wants to go play in Philly in late January....

You can base AZ fans on the US versus Mexico game...that was followed up by very poor attendance when the Mexican & Argentinian pro teams played in that little tournament.

St Louis makes a ton of sense because of the history soccer has in that city. At one point no place in the US produced more US national team players.

esc

Reaction score
Soccer has been a big sport here. I know StL has produced a lot of good players. I have been there a few times, and I guess from my view point I see az a better market right now.

the u.s. game was big, but I think all of these games have not fully measured what the potential really is. The numbers work here, but there is no guarantee. phx is the 5th largest city and I think it can support a MLS team.

The issue with the time is another thing. Many teams could not play, and MLS would directly compete with the NFL, college football, basketball, MLB playoffs and so forth. I think they are at the right time due to weather and potential air time with espn. Its a great summer sport in most cities except phx and LV.

But back to the stadium. I hope we can land this deal at the location I want to. Some great potential in the area, location, and will not just be a stadium like the cards ugly thing. It would be more of a destination in an urban environment like the yotes arena at westgate, but not at the size. It can be a great entertainment venue.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score

The issue with the time is another thing. Many teams could not play, and MLS would directly compete with the NFL, college football, basketball, MLB playoffs and so forth. I think they are at the right time due to weather and potential air time with espn. Its a great summer sport in most cities except phx and LV.

Well if the US is ever going to get serious about soccer than they will need to get on the same calendar as everyone else... Players will miss alot of MLS games because of World Cup qualifying this summer and that is just wrong.. Imagine Rooney missing a Man U match to help england qualify.. That would never happen.

And far as competing against big time sports I think it would do fine. It's not like they are lighting the world on fire with the current schedule. I know they would definitely get higher ratings than hockey. Just would need to get creative with the schedule.

Does Arizona have some sort of Fan supporter group? I know Philly had the Sons of Sam and I think they had a large part to possibly getting a team in Philly.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i know the people at grand canyon university are trying hard to get an MLS team in phoenix - they even had an MLS exhibition on their campus (which was very poorly attended)

this thursday (1/10) the county commissioners in miami are getting together in a special meeting on the Marlins stadium and development of the orange bowl site - although the soccer stadium is a different piece of the balloon package that was passed, i wouldn't be surprised to see additional information on the soccer stadium come out in this meeting

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i know the people at grand canyon university are trying hard to get an MLS team in phoenix - they even had an MLS exhibition on their campus (which was very poorly attended)

I went to that game (FC Dallas v. Columbus) and there were about 4k on a Sunday night, at $20 per head, with arguably the worst marketing ever for an event in the history of modern civilization. I thought it was great given the circumstances, venue, and lack of promotion.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

But back to the stadium. I hope we can land this deal at the location I want to. Some great potential in the area, location, and will not just be a stadium like the cards ugly thing. It would be more of a destination in an urban environment like the yotes arena at westgate, but not at the size. It can be a great entertainment venue.

What location do you speak of? Are you working with Dana Gagnon and Phoenix Soccer Development?

esc

Reaction score
Yes I am. The deal is hard to come buy so I think they are looking at the USL for now. MLS IMO is still in the picture tho. There are some groups like phoenix is rising, and the development group gagnon has put together. So lets see if we land a USL team and build on that to the MLS for the next expansion.

I am working with them on the Mesa location.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes I am. The deal is hard to come buy so I think they are looking at the USL for now. MLS IMO is still in the picture tho. There are some groups like phoenix is rising, and the development group gagnon has put together. So lets see if we land a USL team and build on that to the MLS for the next expansion.

I am working with them on the Mesa location.

Is the Mesa location near Fiesta Mall?

esc

Reaction score
That is one of them. That was my #1 choice for soccer specific stadium if the area redevelops in an urban way. Right now the area is being studied by a group that is giving the stakeholders and city a vision for the area. If they fallow it, depending on the specific plan of the area, it could be a great location for soccer and its fans. There are 3-4 other sites we have briefly looked at too.

For the USL team if it comes, I would look more at potential current stadiums that can hold bigger crowds such as a baseball stadium.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is one of them. That was my #1 choice for soccer specific stadium if the area redevelops in an urban way. Right now the area is being studied by a group that is giving the stakeholders and city a vision for the area. If they fallow it, depending on the specific plan of the area, it could be a great location for soccer and its fans. There are 3-4 other sites we have briefly looked at too.

For the USL team if it comes, I would look more at potential current stadiums that can hold bigger crowds such as a baseball stadium.

What are the areas being looked at?