MLS's 30th Team to Be Announced Within a Year

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Plenty of signs and recent public comments point to that team winding up in Las Vegas. Sacramento was the heavy frontrunner until it lost the backing of billionaire lead investor Ron Burkle, and Las Vegas has surged to the forefront with multiple groups reportedly competing for MLS's approval. Garber has also previously name-checked San Diego and Phoenix as candidates, while Sacramento could still be just a big whale away from getting back into the mix.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vegas would be a perfect candidate for new team. We can go ahead and consider that Vegas will have every single pro sport in that city. A MLB and NBA team will soon be there, so why not just cover all the bases with every sport! Not sure if Phoenix will have enough of a fan base to make it work. I maybe wrong, but seeing how the Rising are struggling to get fans shows it will be tough

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vegas would be a perfect candidate for new team. We can go ahead and consider that Vegas will have every single pro sport in that city. A MLB and NBA team will soon be there, so why not just cover all the bases with every sport! Not sure if Phoenix will have enough of a fan base to make it work. I maybe wrong, but seeing how the Rising are struggling to get fans shows it will be tough
Rising are consistently near the top of USL attendance, what they lack is someone who can snap their fingers and build a stadium to go along with a giant expansion fee. MLS seeks out billionaires, not fanbases.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't ever see them getting a baseball team. You need an amazing local fan base to make baseball work nowadays and Vegas just wouldn't have that. It's too hot for baseball there to attract the locals. Basketball maybe but it would have to be relocation and it would make sense for New Orleans to move there since they are in the West.

The way the MLS is growing, having a MLS team will be like having a major 4 soon. I could see baseball/hockey/soccer being all pretty close to the same after the NFL and NBA.

Keep in mind that the MLS Cup drew 7.2 million viewers with Portland as one of the team, while the final game of the World Series drew 6.5 million viewers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson