Lute to step down?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunlap wont say no

I doubt he would but he is in a very unusual situation he hasn't even been at UA for a single game yet and he's gone from associate head coach to interim head coach. All the reports are that he's a very good coach, hell he might be a better game coach than some of the guys UA is going to target if what you read is true. The problem is nobody knows him so it's assumed he'll be an inferior recruiter to guys like Calipari.

I will say this, if Dunlap does turn it down, that would be a huge blow because it would send the message that not even a guy who really wants to be a D 1 head coach is willing to touch the job right now.

But I agree, he'll take the job, the dream of these guys is to be a D1 coach and UA is a very good job, even if he has it for just one year if he does a good job other schools will notice.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Withey can't go anywhere without transferring and would have to ask for a release. My guess is he'll stick around, mom just seems to be angry because UA didn't call them.

Well KU doesn't have a spot for him anyways. Doubt neither does Louisville which I'd guess would be his first choice out of town if he had one.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
What would the timeline be on pursuing a new coach? Sounds like they want to move quickly. Any chance of snaking away a big time guy before the season starts?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
What would the timeline be on pursuing a new coach? Sounds like they want to move quickly. Any chance of snaking away a big time guy before the season starts?

No chance.

UA will make its hire around Final Four weekend. Im guessing May, but I could see the coach being named mid April as well. The worst thing UA can do right now is rush to hire a coach, because they will not get the type of coach we could have a shot at in the spring.

We are going to lose recruits regardless, but if we hire the right guy he might bring a few recruits along with him. Obviously, I am thinking Cal, but I am not sure if the likes of Wall and Henry follow Cal anywhere.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Very doubtful.

Play out the season, raise a bunch of money, and get a big name out here. Arizona can't afford not to, the basketball program carries the athletic department financially. Nobody worth a damn is going to ditch their kids right now right after practice started to take this job and there's no Tim Floyd out there.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
U of A is going to have to bring in a big name to repair the damage done by this fiasco. I have all the respect in the world for Lute but the timing of this is just terrible. He had to have known recruits would be pissed and de-commit, and is not exactly leaving the program with a good future.

Names thrown into consideration are the usual suspects: Dixon & Few, but can a guy like Calipari or maybe Rick Barnes be swayed to accept the position. We definitely need a strong recruiter as plenty of damage has been done with future recruits who have to feel like this program is a sinking ship.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have rivals premium? Apparently they're reporting UA has named an interim coach, and it's not who we're expecting, but I don't subscribe so I can't see who it is.

That implies Dunlap did say no? Also says another '09 recruit decommitted but again I can't see who.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody have rivals premium? Apparently they're reporting UA has named an interim coach, and it's not who we're expecting, but I don't subscribe so I can't see who it is.

That implies Dunlap did say no? Also says another '09 recruit decommitted but again I can't see who.

I hope it's Geary. When the new staff comes in, Reggie would probably be on that staff. He also has some coaching experience. Also, he might be able to persuade Hill to re-commit.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it's Geary. When the new staff comes in, Reggie would probably be on that staff. He also has some coaching experience. Also, he might be able to persuade Hill to re-commit.

It's a story by Josh Gerson but I don't subscribe so I guess we have to wait.

The other decommit was Solomon Hill apparently.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah just saw it on Fox Sports.

Can't go wrong hiring someone named Russ.

:D

They are not going to replace Olson with him, this is merely a stop gap. Unfortunately, it is too late to get a big name now as the season is around the corner.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not going to replace Olson with him, this is merely a stop gap. Unfortunately, it is too late to get a big name now as the season is around the corner.

Oh I know but it does imply that Dunlap turned it down.

Also AZstarnet has a story that has a weird comment about Livengood. It says he denies not having a plan in place and has been working for months on a plan to replace Lute, he even contacted Mike Montgomery about taking over but timing didn't work out.

Now Cal hired Monty April 5th, are they saying they knew before then that Lute was likely enough to retire they were interviewing for his replacement, or are they saying they contacted Monty after Cal hired him and the timing wasn't right because he already had a job?

Edit, the UA scout board is saying Dunlap may have resigned too.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh I know but it does imply that Dunlap turned it down.

Also AZstarnet has a story that has a weird comment about Livengood. It says he denies not having a plan in place and has been working for months on a plan to replace Lute, he even contacted Mike Montgomery about taking over but timing didn't work out.

Now Cal hired Monty April 5th, are they saying they knew before then that Lute was likely enough to retire they were interviewing for his replacement, or are they saying they contacted Monty after Cal hired him and the timing wasn't right because he already had a job?

Edit, the UA scout board is saying Dunlap may have resigned too.

Dunlap leaving would not surprise me because it would not make sense for him to stay after turning down the interim head coach position. I have a feeling we will be seeing Rosborough on the sidelines this year to help out.

I also heard that the boosters have already started talking and Artie MorenoJim Click and George Kailil are going to be the big contributors. I believe the UofA is going to sign a pretty big-name coach and will pay more than Lute was getting.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Rumor has it that Dunlap wanted to be named HC, not interim HC and he wanted a gaurantee that he'd be on the list of possible replacements next year.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So UA will now conduct the infamous "nationwide search" for a new coach. I hope it works out. My Pac-10 hoops hatred is confined to UCLA.

Watching a truly great coach self-destruct wasn't fun. I'm glad it's over. Bring on the new.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it that Dunlap wanted to be named HC, not interim HC and he wanted a gaurantee that he'd be on the list of possible replacements next year.

Yeah I guess CBS Sportsline reported he wanted a guarantee and didn't get one.

Can't blame UA there he hasn't coached a single game for them yet, giving him a guarantee contract was too risky.

I think UA will get a good coach it'll be interesting to see who. Fans say it won't be Dixon he just got a raise, won't be Calipari he just got a raise, people forget Howland got a raise and extension not long before taking the UCLA job. He wasn't going to turn down his dream job, and I doubt Dixon would turn down a chance to be in the pac 10 he's a West Coast guy. I said before I didn't think he'd take the SC job if Floyd took the LSU job, but I think UA is different.

he and howland have said they never want to play each other again but I don't know that is serious. I'm still more skeptical on Calipari, it would depend on how much money UA can come up with, Fed ex has awfully deep pockets.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
ATTN ASU CHRIS - FROM THE CBS SPORTSLINE ARTICLE LISTED ABOVE

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/11286230

You're thinking that Few and Dixon have already turned down multiple opportunities to leave, that they love their jobs and wouldn't mind retiring from their current positions. I acknowledge all of that to be true. But you must understand Arizona is a different animal, one of the top 10 programs in America,

Now no doubt you are going to try and rip into my OK and USC college football references and spelling errors and other bits and pieces to further your argument(in typical ASU fashion ignoring the point and context) but this is ultimately what I was saying and you were denying. And yes I STILL consider Top 10 elite.....;)

So to get back to your original question....

YES - I THINK WE ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET A BRAND NAME GREAT COACH.....

That is all....back to your regularly scheduled program:)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Yeah I guess CBS Sportsline reported he wanted a guarantee and didn't get one.

Can't blame UA there he hasn't coached a single game for them yet, giving him a guarantee contract was too risky.

I think UA will get a good coach it'll be interesting to see who. Fans say it won't be Dixon he just got a raise, won't be Calipari he just got a raise, people forget Howland got a raise and extension not long before taking the UCLA job. He wasn't going to turn down his dream job, and I doubt Dixon would turn down a chance to be in the pac 10 he's a West Coast guy. I said before I didn't think he'd take the SC job if Floyd took the LSU job, but I think UA is different.

he and howland have said they never want to play each other again but I don't know that is serious. I'm still more skeptical on Calipari, it would depend on how much money UA can come up with, Fed ex has awfully deep pockets.

I feel good about Arte Moreno, Jim Click, and Kalil being able to put something together. We will see.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
ATTN ASU CHRIS - FROM THE CBS SPORTSLINE ARTICLE LISTED ABOVE

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/11286230

You're thinking that Few and Dixon have already turned down multiple opportunities to leave, that they love their jobs and wouldn't mind retiring from their current positions. I acknowledge all of that to be true. But you must understand Arizona is a different animal, one of the top 10 programs in America,

Now no doubt you are going to try and rip into my OK and USC college football references and spelling errors and other bits and pieces to further your argument(in typical ASU fashion ignoring the point and context) but this is ultimately what I was saying and you were denying. And yes I STILL consider Top 10 elite.....;)

So to get back to your original question....

YES - I THINK WE ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET A BRAND NAME GREAT COACH.....

That is all....back to your regularly scheduled program:)

Heh, you gave me great entertainment yesterday, no hard feelings. I have many friends and family members that are U of A fans, and I have no problem with U of A, it's dumb for anyone to rip one school or the other when they are essentially the same. As you know, I just get annoyed when people act like U of A is an elite program, because I think there is a clear distinction between elite and great. Apparently you don't see this distinction for whatever reason (homerism :D) .

It'll be very interesting to see how this whole situation plays out, I agree with Mao that if they get a guy like Cal that they will be a force for a long time. If they get a 2nd tier guy, they'll be very good, but won't be able to compete with the elite teams. I admire your optimism about a top hire, but as the great Winston Wolf said, "let's not start sucking each other's .... quite yet." :trout:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort