Luka Doncic Rookie of the Year

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems highly unlikely that Ayton will have the better career (though he has a much bigger impact on defense), but hopefully it is a situation like the Rockets taking Hakeem over MJ. Jordan ultimately had the better career, but Hakeem was also amazing and led his team 2 titles.

I agree for the most part but like I said, I could see Ayton hitting his potential and Doncic being hobbled by over-use dating back to his early teens.

I don't think DA will ever match up to the player Doncic was in just his second year but over the course of their careers, who knows how all that wear and tear will impact Doncic on the court? I'm not predicting it, I just wouldn't be surprised to see Luka close out his career similarly to the way Larry Bird did - 9 great years followed by 4 years at a much reduced level.

And yes, we're all crossing our fingers that we can look back on that draft and be happy that we got the equivalent of Olajuwon.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's funny and also sad...

Ayton was the preference of many because the Suns have never really had a good center, here is a guy, a real can't miss center, from a local school. We take him and, no exaggeration, he is ALREADY probably the best center in franchise history (unless you want to call Amare a center). Given the expectations of him as a defender one could claim that at this point in his career he is BETTER than most thought he would be overall as a player. And yet... we unanimously wish the franchise had made a different choice.

But for our own sanity it needs to be remembered that Doncic didn't go 2nd, he went 3rd, and was promptly traded, relatively cheaply, for the 5th pick.

Doncic was hardly viewed as a lock for stardom, Ayton is worlds better than Bagley, a far better fit for our needs than Young and a better overall player than JJJ and Mo Bomba sucks out loud.

Passing on Doncic hurts, it hurts bad, but it was understandable and, at the time, most thought it was commendable, and we certainly could have done far worse.

EDIT: That last part could serve as a mantra for Suns fans; "It's painful but you could be a fan of something that just sucks".

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Failing a drug test is the result of trying to cheat.
It's also a sign of stupidity. Most drug test failures in the NBA are of guys putting something they have no clue about into their body, or, which is quite possible here, smoking weed. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that smoking a joint helps you cheat at basketball? I would think it would be the opposite.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's funny and also sad...

Ayton was the preference of many because the Suns have never really had a good center, here is a guy, a real can't miss center, from a local school. We take him and, no exaggeration, he is ALREADY probably the best center in franchise history (unless you want to call Amare a center). Given the expectations of him as a defender one could claim that at this point in his career he is BETTER than most thought he would be overall as a player. And yet... we unanimously wish the franchise had made a different choice.

But for our own sanity it needs to be remembered that Doncic didn't go 2nd, he went 3rd, and was promptly traded, relatively cheaply, for the 5th pick.

Doncic was hardly viewed as a lock for stardom, Ayton is worlds better than Bagley, a far better fit for our needs than Young and a better overall player than JJJ and Mo Bomba sucks out loud.

Passing on Doncic hurts, it hurts bad, but it was understandable and, at the time, most thought it was commendable, and we certainly could have done far worse.

EDIT: That last part could serve as a mantra for Suns fans; "It's painful but you could be a fan of something that just sucks".
Wish I could like this twice!!

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
It's also a sign of stupidity. Most drug test failures in the NBA are of guys putting something they have no clue about into their body, or, which is quite possible here, smoking weed. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that smoking a joint helps you cheat at basketball? I would think it would be the opposite.

I can appreciate the homerism, but it’s cheating. You cannot explain it away. Sorry.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JFC, again, how is smoking a joint cheating? Can you answer that simple question?

I'm not sure but I think he means cheating the system more than the game. If, as many of us suspect, he smoked some pot and then ignorantly took a diuretic thinking that would cover it up, that's cheating the system put into place. I guess.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I think he means cheating the system more than the game. If, as many of us suspect, he smoked some pot and then ignorantly took a diuretic thinking that would cover it up, that's cheating the system put into place. I guess.
That’s a pretty big “if”.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

And if one is willing to cheat with one substance, it is safe to assume he cheats with other substances as well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And if one is willing to cheat with one substance, it is safe to assume he cheats with other substances as well.
Considering how much he’s probably being tested since the suspension that doesn’t hold much water. He deserves scrutiny but I’m not sure he deserves the, “once a cheater, always a cheater“ just yet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JFC, again, how is smoking a joint cheating? Can you answer that simple question?
I’m pretty sure the joint has never been confirmed. I don’t even think I’ve ever seen it reported in an actual legitimate journalistic article. Am I wrong?

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the joint has never been confirmed. I don’t even think I’ve ever seen it reported in an actual legitimate journalistic article. Am I wrong?

That guy is just a homer x2. He has no idea what is was looking out of those orange sunglasses.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, you're not. It's just speculation but in the absence of a more plausible explanation I tend to believe it. In the end, if it never happens again it really doesn't matter. But if he has a real problem, it will likely surface again Roy Tarpley style.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Heres my take. Yes, skipping on Luka does stink, but we have Booker. Do you really think both Booker and Luka would mesh well? They both have similar traits, drive in well, great shooting abilities, and so on. I feel having Booker already on the team and now adding the big man Ayton made it an even easier decision to pick up Ayyon rather then Doncic.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't care if Ayton is eating live babies at halftime. He's a Sun i will back him no matter what.

To Deyondre:

You're a monster. BE a monster!

To Luka:

I don't care. If you played alongside Booker something would have to give.

Now take that sock full of bone dust you call ankles and **** of EVERY conversation about Ayton ever.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Heres my take. Yes, skipping on Luka does stink, but we have Booker. Do you really think both Booker and Luka would mesh well? They both have similar traits, drive in well, great shooting abilities, and so on. I feel having Booker already on the team and now adding the big man Ayton made it an even easier decision to pick up Ayyon rather then Doncic.
I think they would have been amazing together on offense, but would have to be because they would struggle to stop the other team.

That being said I don't see picking Ayton as a poor decision (especially at the time) and he still has plenty of time to develop into the type of player that will take a lot of the sting out of how good Doncic has been.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I tend to believe McDounough & Kokoskov on this one. Both have made statements regarding the player they wanted, and in Igor's case, he was definitely one of the top 5 people in the world to have known how special the kid was. I imagine him lighting up conference rooms all summer after he was hired. He almost said as much when he made the comment that he sleeps well at night about who he wanted.

It would not, and does not surprise me to think that Sarver and his UofA homer personality didn't have a large hand in making the decision.

Face it..... He's the Daniel Snyder of the NBA. And this is most likely his burden to bear. Fortunately for him.... this is just an appreciating asset on his balance sheet so he could give a rats a$$..

Booker & Luka would have changed the NBA. Booker's presence off ball would have made him an even bigger star. Cam & Mikal would have been perfect at the 3 & 4 with a defensive pick and pop 5 we would have been insane.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I tend to believe McDounough & Kokoskov on this one. Both have made statements regarding the player they wanted, and in Igor's case, he was definitely one of the top 5 people in the world to have known how special the kid was. I imagine him lighting up conference rooms all summer after he was hired. He almost said as much when he made the comment that he sleeps well at night about who he wanted.

It would not, and does not surprise me to think that Sarver and his UofA homer personality didn't have a large hand in making the decision.

Face it..... He's the Daniel Snyder of the NBA. And this is most likely his burden to bear. Fortunately for him.... this is just an appreciating asset on his balance sheet so he could give a rats a$$..

Booker & Luka would have changed the NBA. Booker's presence off ball would have made him an even bigger star. Cam & Mikal would have been perfect at the 3 & 4 with a defensive pick and pop 5 we would have been insane.
I believe Igor 100% -- but he's not attention-starved and continually trying to convince people he's better than what he was.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You think the Suns would have made the deal for Mikal if they picked Luka instead of Ayton? I don't see that. Drafting a wing like Luka would have further negated the need to take Mikal, no matter how much the front office liked him. I know we signed Ariza later but that's different than drafting yet another wing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think they would have been amazing together on offense, but would have to be because they would struggle to stop the other team.

That being said I don't see picking Ayton as a poor decision (especially at the time) and he still has plenty of time to develop into the type of player that will take a lot of the sting out of how good Doncic has been.
Yes, this. If Ayton develops I doubt we’ll see a lot of this. See olajawon. If he stays what he is, this conversation will forever haunt Ayton.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson