Luka Doncic Rookie of the Year

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You think the Suns would have made the deal for Mikal if they picked Luka instead of Ayton? I don't see that. Drafting a wing like Luka would have further negated the need to take Mikal, no matter how much the front office liked him. I know we signed Ariza later but that's different than drafting yet another wing.
Considering we had JJ, Warren and then later signed ariza, I think it negates any hypothesis that drafting Luka would have forced the suns to avoid drafting bridges. But it’s all conjecture anyway.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So, I think we draft Luka, we would be stuck without a big, and back to the same old Suns with a great back court looking for a dominant big man.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You hope he becomes dominant. All evidence so far is he lacks the maturity, drive, and focus to do so.

I hope he takes his job serious enough to do his homework (watch game film), not do drugs (recreational or performance enhancing) and doesn't miss required team functions (like health testing).

That's how low the bar is if you are honest with yourself. Just spend a season playing and improving before we speculate on "dominance"

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You hope he becomes dominant. All evidence so far is he lacks the maturity, drive, and focus to do so.

I hope he takes his job serious enough to do his homework (watch game film), not do drugs (recreational or performance enhancing) and doesn't miss required team functions (like health testing).

That's how low the bar is if you are honest with yourself. Just spend a season playing and improving before we speculate on "dominance"
This. I just want the guy to care a bit, not do any illegal substances, and make his temp check appointments on time before I ever want to discuss whether he is dominant or not.

The bar is within sight of my bar for D-Wash which was as low as it goes.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bigs take longer to develop. That's a fact. Not many guys stride in like Wilt and take the league by storm. I think he will be our best center when it's all said and done.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Heres my take. Yes, skipping on Luka does stink, but we have Booker. Do you really think both Booker and Luka would mesh well? They both have similar traits, drive in well, great shooting abilities, and so on. I feel having Booker already on the team and now adding the big man Ayton made it an even easier decision to pick up Ayyon rather then Doncic.
Human nature does not include two alpha dogs. By definition,
there is only one alpha. The other has to be the beta.

Except in baseball where you have a 5-man starting pitching rotation
and each is out there alone.

Which is primarily why I supported drafting Deandre with the #1 pick.

And why I have supported drafting (or trading) for need versus BPA,
unless you intend to trade one of them.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. Ayton may not be dominant at this point, he is good and has a decent chance at becoming a dominant player over the next few years. Truth is he isn’t that far from being that guy.

what? he's not that far from being dominant? man, don't we at least need to see a stretch of play where Ayton's actually dominant before we start making those kind of leaps?

I mean, just looking at this season, 18/11/1.5 isn't anything near dominant. He had a couple games where he went for like 26/19 but that was it. He’s scored over 30 once in his entire career. And when the heat was on in the bubble trying to make the playoffs, he averaged 15/10/1.

now, none of that is to say he’s bad. But there is next to nothing to say he’s not that far from dominant right now.

Or maybe I just have no clue what you believe "dominant" is. What we saw from Doncic, Booker and Dame in the bubble is the the definition of dominant play. What LeBron does almost every night is dominant play. When talking about players dominating, you're usually talking about the best in the game. Ayton has never showed any stretch like that in his entire career. Doesn't he need to at least flash that over an actual stretch of games before you can make a claim like that?

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bigs take longer to develop. That's a fact. Not many guys stride in like Wilt and take the league by storm. I think he will be our best center when it's all said and done.
Statistically, our best Center was the 212 lb. Alvan Adams. So that is not saying a lot.

I want our Center to be a difference maker, which leads to Championships. That would make him the best.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
what? he's not that far from being dominant? man, don't we at least need to see a stretch of play where Ayton's actually dominant before we start making those kind of leaps?

I mean, just looking at this season, 18/11/1.5 isn't anything near dominant. Did he even have one five game stretch where he averaged over 20 ppg? Or rebound like a monster? And when the heat was on in the bubble trying to make the playoffs, he averaged 15/10/1.

Or maybe I just have no clue what you believe "dominant" is. What we saw from Doncic, Booker and Dame in the bubble is the the definition of dominant play. What LeBron does almost every night is dominant play. When talking about players dominating, you're usually talking about the best in the game. Ayton has never showed any stretch like that in his entire career. Doesn't he need to at least flash that over an actual stretch of games before you can make a claim like that?
A Center who hides from contact and is among the worst at getting to the free throw line is not dominant.

No matter how good his stats are. Losing teams brag about players' stats. Dominant teams become legitimate playoff contenders.

Ayton's only chance of being dominant might be at the Forward position.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Meh. Ayton may not be dominant at this point, he is good and has a decent chance at becoming a dominant player over the next few years. Truth is he isn’t that far from being that guy.
That is a fan's wish. We need to see it from the player, who hasn't shown any dominance yet.

To the contrary, he's let the team down numerously .

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I absolutely will agree with he will be the best center we have ever had but that's like saying I am the best looking male in my house. (The only other male in my house is a 23 pound cat)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely will agree with he will be the best center we have ever had but that's like saying I am the best looking male in my house. (The only other male in my house is a 23 pound cat)

lol.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Regardless of all that, he HAS improved. Maybe not as much as we all want, but he has.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a moment, try to envision Ayton playing in another uniform like the Mavericks, Raptors or Spurs.

In other words view him in an opponents uniform two seasons from now.

Would we dread playing him? I think so because he has all the skills to be dominant.

Suns fans need to be more patient with their players and let them develop.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a moment, try to envision Ayton playing in another uniform like the Mavericks, Raptors or Spurs.

In other words view him in an opponents uniform two seasons from now.

Would we dread playing him? I think so because he has all the skills to be dominant.

Suns fans need to be more patient with their players and let them develop.

every time the suns are playing one of my friends team there’s two universal things they say: Book is awesome and why does Ayton play like such a wuss?

so, no. If he was on another team, I don’t think I would dread playing him at this point. To be fair, there’s no one in that draft I dread playing at this point except Doncic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every time the suns are playing one of my friends team there’s two universal things they say: Book is awesome and why does Ayton play like such a wuss?

so, no. If he was on another team, I don’t think I would dread playing him at this point. To be fair, there’s no one in that draft I dread playing at this point except Doncic.

TJ Warren has developed a whole new mentality since he left the Suns at age 26. He may not be a star but he is a much more aggressive player. Ayton is still only 22.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s already our best center. That bar is too low a standard to hold him to.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Regardless of all that, he HAS improved. Maybe not as much as we all want, but he has.
I agree he’s improved defensively. Offensively not so much as his shooting percentage took a big dip this year. And if the bubble is an indicator he’s actually backslid in a few areas.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ Warren has developed a whole new mentality since he left the Suns at age 26. He may not be a star but he is a much more aggressive player. Ayton is still only 22.

sure. But none of that has anything to do with one of us watching him on an opposing team and being really worried about him. So, the above isnt what we were talking about or the post I responded to. Also, is TJ that much more aggressive of a player? Yes, he went NUTS for five games In the bubble... then that ridiculous play burst and he looked like the same T.J. Warren he has for the last three years. Dependable 18-20 ppg scorer.

we’ve also seen that big men with questionable motors have a shaky track record record of never reaching their potential either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure. But none of that has anything to do with one of us watching him on an opposing team and being really worried about him. So, the above isnt what we were talking about or the post I responded to. Also, is TJ that much more aggressive of a player? Yes, he went NUTS for five games In the bubble... then that ridiculous play burst and he looked like the same T.J. Warren he has for the last three years. Dependable 18-20 ppg scorer.

we’ve also seen that big men with questionable motors have a shaky track record record of never reaching their potential either.

I see Ayton as a scoring and rebounding dynamo in a couple of seasons.

Maybe not the defensive player many envisioned but an imposing offensive player nevertheless.

Yes. I think Warren has taken the next step in regard to being a confident offensive player. He has solidified his offense the past couple of seasons especially the 3-point shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard