Luka Doncic Rookie of the Year

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem was never him, was it? He’s the Rose McGowan of professional sports.

He’s like a teenage quarterback complaining it was the rest of the team that caused them to have a 1-10 season, not him.
Except this guy picked the team he's complaining about! :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem was never him, was it? He’s the Rose McGowan of professional sports.

He’s like a teenage quarterback complaining it was the rest of the team that caused them to have a 1-10 season, not him.

It's no coincidence that the story about the goats in his office came before he started trying to make claims about how he was forced into making a number of his head scratching moves. After the goats he had public perception on his side.

I don't think he was a complete buffoon but I do think he was in way over his head and afraid to take big swings. He liked talking about how he was waiting to be in a position to make a big move but somehow one never materialized in his 5-6 years as GM? I don't think so. Anyone who follows the league knows that many stars were moved over that time period and the Suns could have put together packages that either could have landed one of them or at least had them in talks as a front runner. It's not like there was a good core in place so McD didn't want to create a logjam, if anything he wasn't doing a deal unless it created a logjam and killed everyone's value.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm going to continue to say that I wanted Luka, the coach wanted Luka, and the front office shoved a large pie in their faces by picking the UofA guy with no heart. Nevermind the direction of the league, and that Ball Handlers dominate in all aspects of this new version of the NBA. I do recognize that was a minority opinion of mine but damn it hurts to watch him play for the Mavs.

With that being said...... Ayton is better than average. And at his age, could still be the 3rd best guy on a title team and a possible HOF'er if he achieves anything close to his ceiling. No so shabby.

another aside I had yesterday: Who here thinks that Luka right now..... is already either the same or better than peak level Dirk ever was. At his age, that's truly mind blowing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's no coincidence that the story about the goats in his office came before he started trying to make claims about how he was forced into making a number of his head scratching moves. After the goats he had public perception on his side.

I don't think he was a complete buffoon but I do think he was in way over his head and afraid to take big swings. He liked talking about how he was waiting to be in a position to make a big move but somehow one never materialized in his 5-6 years as GM? I don't think so. Anyone who follows the league knows that many stars were moved over that time period and the Suns could have put together packages that either could have landed one of them or at least had them in talks as a front runner. It's not like there was a good core in place so McD didn't want to create a logjam, if anything he wasn't doing a deal unless it created a logjam and killed everyone's value.

The question I most want answered from McDonough was his point guard solution for 2018-19 if he had remained the Suns GM.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
another aside I had yesterday: Who here thinks that Luka right now..... is already either the same or better than peak level Dirk ever was. At his age, that's truly mind blowing.

I don't think he's there yet, although stats would indicate he's better right now. Dirk was a different type of dominant, being a 7 footer with 30 foot range. Dirk was also a better defender, when he was engaged, and a better rebounder. I know Luka averages a great number of boards for a guard but that's the NBA nowadays, bigs box out for ball handlers to grab boards and push the ball.

I think Dirk being present for Luka's rookie year is something not discussed enough. Having the best Euro of all time to help mentor Luka and show him the ropes is one of the reasons I think Luka acclimated to the NBA as quick as he has. Luka would be good regardless but I think Dirk made the whole transition easier and happen at an accelerated pace.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think he's there yet, although stats would indicate he's better right now. Dirk was a different type of dominant, being a 7 footer with 30 foot range. Dirk was also a better defender, when he was engaged, and a better rebounder. I know Luka averages a great number of boards for a guard but that's the NBA nowadays, bigs box out for ball handlers to grab boards and push the ball.

I think Dirk being present for Luka's rookie year is something not discussed enough. Having the best Euro of all time to help mentor Luka and show him the ropes is one of the reasons I think Luka acclimated to the NBA as quick as he has. Luka would be good regardless but I think Dirk made the whole transition easier and happen at an accelerated pace.
I would say Luka is better in year one than Dirk was in year one. It took Dirk a bit to get going. He and Nash worked on a lot of moves together is what I read.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to continue to say that I wanted Luka, the coach wanted Luka, and the front office shoved a large pie in their faces by picking the UofA guy with no heart. Nevermind the direction of the league, and that Ball Handlers dominate in all aspects of this new version of the NBA. I do recognize that was a minority opinion of mine but damn it hurts to watch him play for the Mavs.

With that being said...... Ayton is better than average. And at his age, could still be the 3rd best guy on a title team and a possible HOF'er if he achieves anything close to his ceiling. No so shabby.

Dirk was incredible at the same age, Luka is better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka is on a different level than most other players.

He could be one of the best to ever play the game if his career doesn't get sidetracked.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would say Luka is better in year one than Dirk was in year one. It took Dirk a bit to get going. He and Nash worked on a lot of moves together is what I read.

Dirk was incredible at the same age, Luka is better.

He asked if Luka now was better than peak level Dirk, not whether he's better than Dirk at the same age or after 2 seasons. At this point, I don't think he's there but I can see him getting there sooner than later.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He asked if Luka now was better than peak level Dirk, not whether he's better than Dirk at the same age or after 2 seasons. At this point, I don't think he's there but I can see him getting there sooner than later.

I'm pretty sure he asked if he was equal to or better than peak Dirk. I chose to go the safe route with my answer (and qualified it as such so there would be no confusion) but I wouldn't have any problem with someone suggesting he's already the equal of Dirk. IMO he was as good this season as Dirk at his best but it's tough to tell how much of that is the result of the way the game is played today. Dirk was already slipping a little by the time the changes evolved into today's game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in the slightest a "troll post." Doncic is special and is destined for the NBA Hall.
Ayton? Maybe, but he needs to grow up. Doncic was destroying grown men before he got to
the NBA.

I still think Ayton has a chance to have a better career but that's in large part because I worry about Doncic holding up having played so much at such an early age. And even then, Ayton will have to continue to develop his game considerably.

For Doncic, injury/wear and tear is his biggest threat to entering the greatest of all time conversation. For Ayton, his ceiling is lower but his desire to excel and willingness to work for it will be the biggest threat to becoming a HOF center.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Ayton has a chance to have a better career but that's in large part because I worry about Doncic holding up having played so much at such an early age. And even then, Ayton will have to continue to develop his game considerably.

For Doncic, injury/wear and tear is his biggest threat to entering the greatest of all time conversation. For Ayton, his ceiling is lower but his desire to excel and willingness to work for it will be the biggest threat to becoming a HOF center.

man, the above reality sucks. We drafted the guy with the lower ceiling AND a lack of a desire to actually reach it.

I was so wrong about that pick. Luka/Devin and a bunch of 3 and D guys would have been flat out nasty for a decade.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score

Completely rooting for you to be right about DA. And, it will take some time. I definitley didn't mean to read like a 'troll post.'

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not in the slightest a "troll post." Doncic is special and is destined for the NBA Hall.
Ayton? Maybe, but he needs to grow up. Doncic was destroying grown men before he got to
the NBA.
That was not what your troll post was about and you know it. It was an attack on this board.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
That was not what your troll post was about and you know it. It was an attack on this board.
Enligten me then...."Cue the Crickets" has what deeper meaning that you are offended by?
No Sun's fan in their right mind would re-select Ayton as the #1 pick if given a do-over. You're trolling over NOTHING.
Dallas is in the playoffs. Suns were sent home. Our #1 pick sat 25 games for trying to cheat, because he's too imature
to put the work in the right way. Get outta my face!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Enligten me then...."Cue the Crickets" has what deeper meaning that you are offended by?
No Sun's fan in their right mind would re-select Ayton as the #1 pick if given a do-over. You're trolling over NOTHING.
Dallas is in the playoffs. Suns were sent home. Our #1 pick sat 25 games for trying to cheat, because he's too imature
to put the work in the right way. Get outta my face!
So now he tried to cheat? That’s a new one.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
DA failed a drug test, immature... a dieuretic? It means masking something else!
That dieuretic test alone sat his a-- for 25 games. Stop with your homerism. You lost this argument!
He hurt Monty and the team for 25 reg season games. Doncic is single handedly trying to
usurp a heavily favored Western Conference team (LAC)

You're boy is sitting home thinking of new ways to 'entertain.':blush:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
DA failed a drug test, immature... a dieuretic? It means masking something else!
That dieuretic test alone sat his a-- for 25 games. Stop with your homerism. You lost this argument!
He hurt Monty and the team for 25 reg season games. Doncic is single handedly trying to
usurp a heavily favored Western Conference team (LAC)

You're boy is sitting home thinking of new ways to 'entertain.':blush:
He didn’t try to cheat. Jesus. He was an idiot, sure. But you know just as much as anyone else and there is no evidence that something nefarious is going on. You never post yet come on here and start this trolling crap? I’m done with you.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
He didn’t try to cheat. Jesus. He was an idiot, sure. But you know just as much as anyone else and there is no evidence that something nefarious is going on. You never post yet come on here and start this trolling crap? I’m done with you.
It can't be trolling when I'm right. Maybe he didn't know what he was ingesting was illegal. He should've checked. Hence, immature and stupid.
No one with a brain re-selects DA in a re-do in the 2018 draft. Stop apologizing for him and the organization.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It can't be trolling when I'm right. Maybe he didn't know what he was ingesting was illegal. He should've checked. Hence, immature and stupid.
No one with a brain re-selects DA in a re-do in the 2018 draft. Stop apologizing for him and the organization.
This is the same boring post that’s been circulating for 2 years. Doncic good, Ayton not. Suns suck blah blah. SSDD

Did I say I’m sorry for Ayton? Nope. All you are doing is whining and using an article by Bickley Of all people to basically bring up the same repetitive nonsense. Move on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now he tried to cheat? That’s a new one.

chap, he failed a drug test and got suspended for 25 games. He was either doing drugs to get high or he was taking performance enhancers. Either way, he tried to cheat the test and got busted. None of this is new and feels a little overboard to slapthe dude with a troll blast.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

It seems highly unlikely that Ayton will have the better career (though he has a much bigger impact on defense), but hopefully it is a situation like the Rockets taking Hakeem over MJ. Jordan ultimately had the better career, but Hakeem was also amazing and led his team 2 titles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave