Lou's Views #1: "Logic or Lack Thereof?"

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Dbacks dropped their first series of the year in rather disheartening fashion. True, it is too premature to sound any alarms, but I cannot figure a couple matters out.

First, if anyone noticed, the Dbacks during the final week claimed a highly regarded former Rockies prospect, Jeff Salazer, off waivers. Salazer had a phenomonal couple of games and exhibited that he did belong on the opening day roster. Logic would have it that he would automatically be on the roster since the Dbacks were taking on his former team who had essentially just dumped him for nothing. He probably has the huge chip on his shoulders and would have been motivated to prove the Rockies wrong in the route they chose. Also, Salazer has had experience playing in the OF and would have been perfect to provide advance scouting to the team since he faced most/if all their pitchers during inter-squad games and such. But, instead, the Dbacks elected to give the final position spot to Brian Barden, a middle IF who doesnt really have a long-term future with the Dbacks. They have a surplus of middle infielders on the current roster anyways. Bob Melvin's deductive reasoning when the Dbacks demoted Salazer was something in the manner of.... he wasnt with the squad long enough in Spring Training, that Melvin thought it was unfair to give a spot to someone who just joined the team. Regardless of realizing what Salazer could have provided.

However, please humor me for a moment. Didnt the Dbacks just recently claim JD Durbin off waivers w/in the past week? What warranted him from making the roster ahead of better deserving pitchers who pitched for the Dbacks throughout the entire Spring Training? His ERA was extremely high for the Twins, which is why they were more inclined to release him. Yet, Petit had an impressive start...Eveland or perhaps Carrasco were more deserving to earn a spot over Durbin. Durbin got massacred today and I wouldnt be shocked if he's demoted shortly in favor of the aforementioned 3 or perhaps Evan MacLane.

Lack thereof, batting Stephen Drew lead-off against a LH pitcher like Melvin did lastnight. Maybe in small sample sizes Drew performed decently vs. lefties last year, but players from scouting reports know now how to exploit his weaknesses nore. Drew isnt the most patient hitter, doesnt have the greatest burst of speed. I still cannot figure out why Chris Young is batting #7 when he's best suited for lead-off. Tracy should be hitting 3rd in the line-up with Jackson around 6th. Hudson flourished at #7 last year. However, the Dbacks illogical manager will keep on tinkering the line-up, which will stall the development of these uber prospects. Constantly changing the line-up on a daily basis affects each and every hitters approach at the plate. The manager has to bat the players according to their strengths.

I am not trying to be an alarmist. I know it is only just the first series, but these are trends/patterns that have been consistant throughout Melvin's tenure. Kirk Gibson was not merely brought in to serve as a bench coach. He will be named manager by May (when the Dbacks are really underperforming due to Melvin's ineptness) and Gibson will ignite a spark into the youngsters. I am anxiously looking forward to that moment. To see my boyhood idol lead my team in the right direction. He's the epitome of what makes a sound manager, someone who never takes anything for granted, would get the fullness out of all his players, doesnt tolerate nonsense (BS), someone who was blessed with amazing athletic ability, but had to learn the basic fundamentals and became one of the most clutch players of all-time. This here would be the most logical decision Josh Byrnes and Co. can make at this time. Melvin will continue to stunt the players growth, but Gibson will propel them to greater heights and beyond.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd get to see a Lou's Views so thanks for posting.

I'm not a fan of spring training numbers but if you want to use them its real hard to make an argument that Salazar should belong on the team over Barden. While Salazar may have had an impressive couple of games, Barden tore it up the entire spring for the Diamondbacks. Either way Barden is likely the guy to go back down when Quentin or DaVanon returns so the Salazar/Barden debate is probably a moot one.

I think the rationale for JD Durbin was that they didn't want to take a guy like Enrique Gonzalez or Dana Eveland out of their role as a starter in order to be the last guy in the pen, something neither has much experience with. Ditto for Petit, he never threw an inning of relief in pro ball until he got to the Marlins last season. It will be interesting to see what role the team sticks him in down in Tucson. Micah Owings will be called up either tomorrow or Friday at which time it is likely Durbin will be sent down. Honestly, if people are nitpicking the choices over the 25th man on the roster and the bottom arm in the bullpen, then chances are your team isn't in bad shape.

Melvin has always been one to play the numbers when it comes to match ups. Some fall under the same philosophy and some don't, there isn't really a right or wrong with that line of thinking. Just looking at the starters for this Diamondbacks team it is really tough to find a "natural" looking batting order. That isn't really a bad thing either, it is more of a testament to guys like Stephen Drew and Chris Young where you can envision them succeeding pretty much any where you stick them in the lineup.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd get to see a Lou's Views so thanks for posting.

Thanks, I will post one every week throughout the season, perhaps even a daily blog.

coyoteshockeyfan said:
I'm not a fan of spring training numbers but if you want to use them its real hard to make an argument that Salazar should belong on the team over Barden. While Salazar may have had an impressive couple of games, Barden tore it up the entire spring for the Diamondbacks. Either way Barden is likely the guy to go back down when Quentin or DaVanon returns so the Salazar/Barden debate is probably a moot one.

No, it's not moot based upon the fact that Salazar had momentum toward the end of Spring Training and was motivated to prove his former team wrong for not allowing him on their every day roster. Also, they needed an OF over the middle IF and Salazer again had the advantage of being familiar with the Rockies pitchers from opposing them in inter-squad games and also is accustomed to playing OF at Coors. Barden putting up solid stats in Spring Training doesnt necessarily suggest that he would have done the same once the regular season started and he would be strictly used in late innings situations as a defensive replacement. I think Salazer would have done better than Byrnes in RF and perhaps better served having him start in RF over Callaspo who doesnt have much OF experience and playing in the unfriendly confines of Coors wasnt the best.

coyoteshockeyfan said:
I think the rationale for JD Durbin was that they didn't want to take a guy like Enrique Gonzalez or Dana Eveland out of their role as a starter in order to be the last guy in the pen, something neither has much experience with. Ditto for Petit, he never threw an inning of relief in pro ball until he got to the Marlins last season. It will be interesting to see what role the team sticks him in down in Tucson. Micah Owings will be called up either tomorrow or Friday at which time it is likely Durbin will be sent down. Honestly, if people are nitpicking the choices over the 25th man on the roster and the bottom arm in the bullpen, then chances are your team isn't in bad shape.

Well, it appears that Byrnes and Co. conceeded that they made an error in bringing-up Durbin in the first place by how instantly they demoted him.. also..it was in favor of a career starter who will be asked to pitch long relief, so that dispells some of what you posted in those paragraph. I know it was Nippert and not Petit, but I personally believe you ride the hot hand and Petit asserted himself w/that impressive final outing and that alone they should have given him the chance. Also, why use Durbin in a game that hasnt been decided? They should have waited until it was a mop-up situation, but again, the Real Man of Genius, Bob Melvin, struck again.

coyoteshockeyfan said:
Melvin has always been one to play the numbers when it comes to match ups. Some fall under the same philosophy and some don't, there isn't really a right or wrong with that line of thinking. Just looking at the starters for this Diamondbacks team it is really tough to find a "natural" looking batting order. That isn't really a bad thing either, it is more of a testament to guys like Stephen Drew and Chris Young where you can envision them succeeding pretty much any where you stick them in the lineup.

Even supporting any theory/strategy of Melvin is extremely wrong. Who cares if he plays by the numbers when it comes to match-ups? Numbers are deceiving, especially when you're basing it on players who havent played much, just small sample-sizes. The scouts know each and every individual players strengths, the manager with a young team must tailor it to fully suit their strengths. Tracy still has had difficulty from being placed at clean-up. He will continue to pull off the ball, Drew is being asked to take more pitches in a role he's not accustomed to. Again, he's affecting these prospects progress and I would just hate to see these players struggling because their manager absolutely has no concept on using them properly. I just hope the FO intervenes or this youth movement will mount to nothing but a complete failure.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still unclear on what your criteria for suggesting why Salazar earned a spot over Barden is. I don't really see a big need for carrying another outfielder (Barden is mostly a corner IF, actually). Salazar might not have even been the clear best outfielder cut from Dbacks camp. My point was that no matter which one of Barden/Salazar/Whoever was chosen for the 25th man, their stay was guaranteed to be a very short one with Quentin and DaVanon returning soon which basically diminishes their importance on the team in the long run.

As for Petit making the team based solely that his last appearance was an impressive one is a pretty tough argument to make. Obviously Durbin wasn't the answer but the Diamondbacks weren't going carry eight relievers for any longer than they did. They've got their seven guys now and I don't really see anybody in the minors that's going to crack into that group for a while.

Not to sound snide or anything, but what makes you believe that you have a concept on how a manager should utilize youth and that Bob Melvin doesn't? I'm no Melvin lover but there's a reason why the guy has been around the game for so long.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still unclear on what your criteria for suggesting why Salazar earned a spot over Barden is. I don't really see a big need for carrying another outfielder (Barden is mostly a corner IF, actually). Salazar might not have even been the clear best outfielder cut from Dbacks camp. My point was that no matter which one of Barden/Salazar/Whoever was chosen for the 25th man, their stay was guaranteed to be a very short one with Quentin and DaVanon returning soon which basically diminishes their importance on the team in the long run.

As for Petit making the team based solely that his last appearance was an impressive one is a pretty tough argument to make. Obviously Durbin wasn't the answer but the Diamondbacks weren't going carry eight relievers for any longer than they did. They've got their seven guys now and I don't really see anybody in the minors that's going to crack into that group for a while.

Not to sound snide or anything, but what makes you believe that you have a concept on how a manager should utilize youth and that Bob Melvin doesn't? I'm no Melvin lover but there's a reason why the guy has been around the game for so long.

My criteria on Salazar earning a spot was based again on the fact that that he had something to prove (for the Rockies series at least) and could have clearly single-handidly carried this team during over the past 3 games. Instead, they wasted a spot on a IF (doesnt matter if middle or corner) who will not receive any substantial playing time when those positions are locked down at this time. Also, Callaspo should be playing 3B opposed to RF at this time. It's again based on Salazar being familiar with the Rockies pitchers and he could have been a boon. He always was one of their highly regarded prospects and he could turn-out to be a steal if given a chance. Where does it say DaVanon and Quentin a close to returning? They better not rush Quentin back or he will re-tear that landrum ala Sexson.... It would be the worst move possible...They have to ease him back and more than likely he will play week's worth of a rehab assignment. DaVanon is injury prone and I honestly dont think he will last the season w/out sustaining another injury.

The Dbacks brought up a career starter to replace Durbin and I dont think that is the best decision. If they use Nippert in a role like they did a former starter turned reliever, Oscar Villareal, then he will have to immediately alter his approach and that can have severe consequences in the end.

I've watched baseball for several years and in the process have witnessed managers do a better job with younger players, so I can formulate my opinion on that alone. Just look at how Ken Macha did last year in Oakland (true, he was terminated and some might have questioned him), but he got the fullest out of his players and they advanced way beyond what others had anticipated. That's just one recent instance.... Why has Melvin lasted long? He was the only one who was willing to accept the Dbacks position after the Backman debacle, he got it out of default, his contract was extended (and at a minimum) because the team was still in contending (really pretending) and the FO didnt want him to be in a lameduck situation, he didnt generate much of a vote-of-confidence. Plus, he along with Brenly received too much credit for the '01 title when it is obvious now that anyone could have managed that team to greatness.

Its just you capitalize on players who have been dominant as of late, because they tend to carry everything over..they're essentially in the zone. You play players according to their strengths, you use players in roles theyre more accustomed to rather than throw them into the fire and force them to respond opposed to it coming naturally.

Do you honestly feel Gibson was just brought here to be merely a bench coach? There's more to it than just that and we'll find out.. maybe sooner than we hope (which means a horrid start to '07).

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My criteria on Salazar earning a spot was based again on the fact that that he had something to prove (for the Rockies series at least) and could have clearly single-handidly carried this team during over the past 3 games. Instead, they wasted a spot on a IF (doesnt matter if middle or corner) who will not receive any substantial playing time when those positions are locked down at this time. Also, Callaspo should be playing 3B opposed to RF at this time. It's again based on Salazar being familiar with the Rockies pitchers and he could have been a boon. He always was one of their highly regarded prospects and he could turn-out to be a steal if given a chance. Where does it say DaVanon and Quentin a close to returning? They better not rush Quentin back or he will re-tear that landrum ala Sexson.... It would be the worst move possible...They have to ease him back and more than likely he will play week's worth of a rehab assignment. DaVanon is injury prone and I honestly dont think he will last the season w/out sustaining another injury.

The Dbacks brought up a career starter to replace Durbin and I dont think that is the best decision. If they use Nippert in a role like they did a former starter turned reliever, Oscar Villareal, then he will have to immediately alter his approach and that can have severe consequences in the end.
Fair enough. I wouldn't be counting on waiver wire fodder to "single-handedly carry a team" for any amount of time (even against their old team), but to each their own. As for the Dbacks bringing up a career starter to replace Durbin, they recalled Owings to take Durbin's roster spot in order to start against Washington on Friday which was already pre-determined (he won't be seeing any pen time) so I'm not quite sure if I'm missing something there or not.

As for Brenly/Melvin, were they given too much credit? Perhaps, but I'll respectfully disagree that anybody could have managed that team to the title.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I wouldn't be counting on waiver wire fodder to "single-handedly carry a team" for any amount of time (even against their old team), but to each their own. As for the Dbacks bringing up a career starter to replace Durbin, they recalled Owings to take Durbin's roster spot in order to start against Washington on Friday which was already pre-determined (he won't be seeing any pen time) so I'm not quite sure if I'm missing something there or not.

As for Brenly/Melvin, were they given too much credit? Perhaps, but I'll respectfully disagree that anybody could have managed that team to the title.

I must admit that I made an obvious mistake. I remember Owings being named the 5th starter, but forgot he didnt make the opening-day roster, while Nippert actually did. That's where I erred, but still, Durbin should have not made the roster and not been employed under those circumstances (when the outcome hadnt been decided).

Also, Salazar isnt some reject, but just fell into a numbers game of being out-of-options (which is why the Dbacks havent risked anything with Hairston yet). Salazar is highly regarded and I feel he will contribute some as the season progresses.

The Dbacks had invested in the best talent possible and I feel anyone could have guided that '01 squad to greatness, but that's again just my opinion and we're obviously each entitled to our own.

It should be an interesting season, but I just dont want the younger players progress to be stalled and I'll keep on insisting for Melvin's termination and nothing can convince me otherwise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson