Longshot For New GM

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
as snarky as I was about the idea of Carson Palmer, I have to admit:

I think its really hard to pull signal out of noise for most NFL GMs.

Examples:

Rick Spielman was in Miami, and it wasn't pretty. He goes to Minnesota and builds a very solid roster. (He also signed Kirk Cousins...…. so...)

Les Snead in LA was not good for several years, but then goes on a run of four really good years …..

Did they learn, or, did NFL draft randomness just give them a good 3 year run?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the season ends badly as I think it will and SK is let go, how about Carson Palmer becoming our John Elway? He does know FB and seems pretty intelligent. Granted, like Elway and John Lynch and Mike Mayock, he has zero FO experience, but would bring a lot of positive intangibles to the job. Anyone agree?
SK isn't going anywhere unless he decides to quit. Him & MB are good buddies so MB will not fire him. Anyone that thinks otherwise are fooling themselves.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m still waiting to hear why moving on from Keim would be a mistake.

I mean, it's the fear that comes along with any major change in leadership. The Cards rolled the dice last offseason, and it's possible a new GM would prefer to play an entirely different game.

There's a non-zero chance that a GM brought in from outside had a mid-round grade on Kyler Murray and feels similar to a lot of traditionalists around the NFL do about Kliff Kingsbury. Then you're betting one or both can win him or her over in the short term.

The alternative is that you only screen for candidates who will tell you they're completely sold on Murray and Kingsbury, and then you are limiting your hiring pool for reasons that aren't related to improving the football operations of a team.

Another argument is that the Cards are paying (at least partially) two full coaching staffs for the next three seasons; maybe we don't want to add a full front office on top of that. Those expenses are going to come from somewhere.

I'm comfortable for another year either way. It's actually pretty hard to screw up a pick as high as we're going to get.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, it's the fear that comes along with any major change in leadership. The Cards rolled the dice last offseason, and it's possible a new GM would prefer to play an entirely different game.

There's a non-zero chance that a GM brought in from outside had a mid-round grade on Kyler Murray and feels similar to a lot of traditionalists around the NFL do about Kliff Kingsbury. Then you're betting one or both can win him or her over in the short term.

The alternative is that you only screen for candidates who will tell you they're completely sold on Murray and Kingsbury, and then you are limiting your hiring pool for reasons that aren't related to improving the football operations of a team.

Another argument is that the Cards are paying (at least partially) two full coaching staffs for the next three seasons; maybe we don't want to add a full front office on top of that. Those expenses are going to come from somewhere.

I'm comfortable for another year either way. It's actually pretty hard to screw up a pick as high as we're going to get.

This is a good series of points you are making here.

I think, for better or worse, the Cardinals are committed to Kliff and Murray for at least another season after this one. If Keim is replaced, the candidate will have to want to work with Murray and Kingsbury.

I do agree that if the Cardinals stick with Keim, there are enough really good prospects in this coming draft, that he likely won't screw it up. Andrew Thomas and Jeudy are elite prospects that are likely to be pretty damn good NFL players.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Keim turned it around with this draft and drafted a lot of value and showed he has learned from previous drafts. I see no problem with giving him more time. His success rate is abysmal in the first round but like k9 said, if we are drafting top 4, its kinda hard to mess that up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought Keim turned it around with this draft and drafted a lot of value and showed he has learned from previous drafts. I see no problem with giving him more time. His success rate is abysmal in the first round but like k9 said, if we are drafting top 4, its kinda hard to mess that up.

I feel like this is exactly what we said about last year's draft class. Let's take a look at those guys:

Josh Rosen QB UCLA - CUT
Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M- INJURED 2 YEARS RUNNING
Mason Cole C Michigan- BENCHED
Chase Edmonds RB Fordham- FINE
Chris Campbell DB Penn State- OUT OF THE NFL
Korey Cunningham T Cincinnati- TRADED AND BACKUP IN NE

Every draft class looks awesome in week 4 unless it's truly execrable. This is really the time when you should START judging the previous year's draft class. Keim very well could have traded the most valuable player in his 2018 draft class to New England.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I feel like this is exactly what we said about last year's draft class.

Every draft class looks awesome in week 4 unless it's truly execrable. This is really the time when you should START judging the previous year's draft class. Keim very well could have traded the most valuable player in his 2018 draft class to New England.

Agreed..... Especially when your in the top 10

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is exactly what we said about last year's draft class. Let's take a look at those guys:

Josh Rosen QB UCLA - CUT
Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M- INJURED 2 YEARS RUNNING
Mason Cole C Michigan- BENCHED
Chase Edmonds RB Fordham- FINE
Chris Campbell DB Penn State- OUT OF THE NFL
Korey Cunningham T Cincinnati- TRADED AND BACKUP IN NE

I still like the top 4 picks at the time and like Kirk, Edmonds and Cole being on this team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ideal candidate is Newsome. I’d offer him whatever it takes to get over his loyalty to BAL. We need an experienced and proven GM to replace Keim.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ideal candidate is Newsome. I’d offer him whatever it takes to get over his loyalty to BAL. We need an experienced and proven GM to replace Keim.
Like Theo Epstein...... this could be an even bigger miracle than the Cubs were.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Funny we think nobody would want to come here and “strap themselves” with K1 and K2. Trust me there would be suitors. A lot can happen between now and the end of the year. Things could be a lot more attractive by December.

Agree.

If I was told the only way I get the Cardinals GM job is to hold onto Kyler Murray/KK next year, heck yeah I will accept it as there are only 32 of them in the world.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Like Theo Epstein...... this could be an even bigger miracle than the Cubs were.
That is why he belongs in this thread, he is ideal but a long shot. He's been with the same organization for 40 years. Never played for or worked in the front office of another team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did not. He stepped down from the GM spot but works in front office as a consultant.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-newsome-gm-decosta-20180202-story.html

“I don’t know what my title will be, but I still will be a very big part of the organization. I’ll be in the building and working with the team every day as usual,” Newsome said.
Still. I'd kick the tires always but firmly expect a no while doing it

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still. I'd kick the tires always but firmly expect a no while doing it

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Oh I agree, 99% chance he tells MB to take a hike. But I'd take the shot, not sure how good of a pitchman Mikey is but gotta hope he could sell ice to eskimos.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SK isn't going anywhere unless he decides to quit. Him & MB are good buddies so MB will not fire him. Anyone that thinks otherwise are fooling themselves.

Do you think MB didn't love Arians??
I think the line in the sand was BA wanting to keep horrible coaches on the roster.

I think MB likes SK a lot..... But at the end of the day, if he checks his draft record vs our roster... He might make the same decision.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I really dont have a good feel for Keim’s fate. He’s chummy with the Bidwills and has a long-standing history with the organization, which makes it emotionally challenging to can him. But, if you listened to Keim’s interview on 98.7 this morning, he’s very aware of his standing in the media. He knows he has to bring the horses to the barn or he faces mutiny to the point in which it might force Michael’s hand.

Although there is loyalty in play, a 3-12-1 record would certainly test that loyalty.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals would be hard pressed to land any top notch GM prospect. The Bidwells, including golden boy Michael, are not well respected in the league. IMO, we would need to find someone in-house, settle for a has-been or gamble on a green up-and-comer. There's always someone ambitious and hungry but I don't think we could get anyone who has other respectable options. We just aren't that kind of organization. Sorry, but the dark side is strong in me.
Sources ? Or just plain crap?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard