Lie To Me (FOX)

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone else watching this? Pretty cool show. I like Tim Roth. It's opposite Lost, but that's one of the beauties of the DVR. We watch Lost on Wednesdays and Lie To Me on Thursdays.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it okay after the first couple of episodes, but actually just dropped it from my season pass. It's too repetitive. It's too repetitive.

There's other stuff I'd rather watch.

Tim Roth is pretty great, though.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I've liked the 1st few episodes. I'll keep watching for a few more to see what happens.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lie to Me

Was stunned to discover there's no thread on this show. It's my current favorite drama. It's an unusual procedural. Or it used to be, I guess, before everyone decided to come up with their own Monk clone.

Tim Roth is what makes this show awesome. Big-screen caliber actor on a TV show. He brings an intensity you don't usually get from a leading actor. There aren't many moments where he's laid back and mugging for the camera. When he is, he's sublimely caustic, and you get the impression he's probably not acting in those episodes. He's a jerk in real life. As a character, I love it. He's a more lovable jerk than Hugh Laurie, though Laurie is probably doing much more acting than Roth to pull off the character.

There are weaknesses. The tertiary characters are underdeveloped to the point it feels like they meant to kill them off last season and forgot to get around to it. Waiting for them to do something with the "understudies."

It's biggest weakness -- the premise -- usually becomes a strength, though. I'm dazzled by the writing staff's ability to turn the implausible to the believable most weeks. I'm surprised they've had the same staff for most of the show and they continue to come up with new ideas. I might have had three shows in me on that show and I'd need to move on to something less challenging. I'm sure the science is more absurd than real pseudoscience, but they usually get me to suspend my disbelief. Not even House pulls that off on a weekly basis (a show that's begun to mock itself every time the show-ending light bulb goes on for House when he figures out what's wrong with his patient).

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Was stunned to discover there's no thread on this show. It's my current favorite drama. It's an unusual procedural. Or it used to be, I guess, before everyone decided to come up with their own Monk clone.

Tim Roth is what makes this show awesome. Big-screen caliber actor on a TV show. He brings an intensity you don't usually get from a leading actor. There aren't many moments where he's laid back and mugging for the camera. When he is, he's sublimely caustic, and you get the impression he's probably not acting in those episodes. He's a jerk in real life. As a character, I love it. He's a more lovable jerk than Hugh Laurie, though Laurie is probably doing much more acting than Roth to pull off the character.

There are weaknesses. The tertiary characters are underdeveloped to the point it feels like they meant to kill them off last season and forgot to get around to it. Waiting for them to do something with the "understudies."

It's biggest weakness -- the premise -- usually becomes a strength, though. I'm dazzled by the writing staff's ability to turn the implausible to the believable most weeks. I'm surprised they've had the same staff for most of the show and they continue to come up with new ideas. I might have had three shows in me on that show and I'd need to move on to something less challenging. I'm sure the science is more absurd than real pseudoscience, but they usually get me to suspend my disbelief. Not even House pulls that off on a weekly basis (a show that's begun to mock itself every time the show-ending light bulb goes on for House when he figures out what's wrong with his patient).

Nice write up, you should do this for a living.

Funny story...

I meet Tim Roth quite some time ago in a tavern, in all places, in Salem Oregon. It was about a two weeks after I'd seen Reservoir Dogs for the first time. I was a tad starstruck, not to mention 3 pints past a quart. He was a pretty down to earth guy, and actually talked to me for a bit.

If you recall, in that film he used an American accent. Needless to say, I was surprised that he was a Briton. I asked him "Is that your real voice?"

"Yeah mate...this is my real, actual, voice."

An awesomely classic response to a drunk's question. I doubt I would have handled in stride like that.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have asked him what possessed him to do "Four Rooms," and it would have probably ended with him punching me. Actually, wish that had happen because it would have been a great story.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figures. After writing this, I've learned Fox cancelled the back nine episodes of this season to make room for Chicago Code. Fourth season is unlikely. How do I get my money back from iTunes for buying a season pass?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
It was bound to happen I suppose, it appealed to male viewers over the age of 24.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't bemoan the passing of this show. I loved the first 2 seasons but each episode in the 3rd season seemed a little harder to watch than the previous one. I can't remember watching a show go downhill so quickly in quite some time (downhill for me anyway).

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard