Last of Us (HBO Max)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The jump is about 4 years but the darkness is going to be explored in great detail over the next couple of seasons (yes, part 2 will be covered in multiple seasons)

Let's put it this way part 1 is a beacon of sunshine compared to what's coming up
Sorry, I explained that badly. I mean the darkness from the immediate events of the finale. Yes, I'm sure they'll have plenty of tension reflecting the situation in season 2, but skipping over how...well, to not go into spoilers, skipping those years feels like a letdown for me. I'm not a game player and don't really care if they stay true to them or not.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sorry, I explained that badly. I mean the darkness from the immediate events of the finale. Yes, I'm sure they'll have plenty of tension reflecting the situation in season 2, but skipping over how...well, to not go into spoilers, skipping those years feels like a letdown for me. I'm not a game player and don't really care if they stay true to them or not.
Doesn't help that the whole final episode was rushed.

Stout

Reaction score
Doesn't help that the whole final episode was rushed.
It did feel kind of rushed, didn't it? And, I'm sorry, but that action sequence was just wholly unconvincing. I mean, I loved the tone of it and how the mindset was handled, but dude ain't Darth Vader and he ain't facing storm troopers.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It did feel kind of rushed, didn't it? And, I'm sorry, but that action sequence was just wholly unconvincing. I mean, I loved the tone of it and how the mindset was handled, but dude ain't Darth Vader and he ain't facing storm troopers.
What bothered me more were the stakes. There was no development of where they were at in that last episode. It felt to me like they had 9 scripts written with a plan of writing another 4 more, but HBO said, "nope. Just one more." And this is what we got. Really disappointing.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What bothered me more were the stakes. There was no development of where they were at in that last episode. It felt to me like they had 9 scripts written with a plan of writing another 4 more, but HBO said, "nope. Just one more." And this is what we got. Really disappointing.

The jump from game to other visual media is always tough. The entire series was a little rushed, especially with 2 episodes not really contributing to the main storyline. Not sure why they went with such an odd number. But the story is just about Joel and Ellie, not so much as the plot. Although the game does both pretty flawlessly.

Without spoling the second...it's going to be really interesting how they do it. Last of Us 2 is one of the most divisive games in recent history, for many and even unrelated reasons. As far as translating to TV, I'm honestly unsure how they are going to handle it.

I loved the game, and it is generally beloved and seen as better than the first. I would imagine they would split it in two different seasons. With that extra time, they could definitely fill in the void years if they wanted to.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much nailed the ending from the game and I agree. The ending was big time controversial to the gaming community. Largely, because the spent the first season humanizing Joel, trying to reset his moral compass and giving him a reason to love again.

Then Joel literally murders people in the final episode that were just trying to guarantee the survival of the human race. The lying to Ellie after building trust. The debate was also sparked because the Fireflies didn't tell her the truth and give her that choice which was the argument some make for agreeing what Joel did. However, Ellie would have let them do it which means there was actually no choice at all. Joel's grief and his feelings about Ellie drove him once again over the edge and possibly doomed the human race. It was super controversial in the gaming community. It's been so hotly debated for years if he did the right thing or not.

They are also going to have to deviate from the second game a bit because they said they are not replacing Bella unless she wants to leave the show. Ellie is 19 in the second game. I think it's a mistake. They should time jump and replace her but that is me.

Stay tuned. The 2nd game makes another controversial decision which again set the gaming community on fire. Again, if they are not replacing Ellie maybe they will change what is coming but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much nailed the ending from the game and I agree. The ending was big time controversial to the gaming community. Largely, because the spent the first season humanizing Joel, trying to reset his moral compass and giving him a reason to love again.

Then Joel literally murders people in the final episode that were just trying to guarantee the survival of the human race. The lying to Ellie after building trust. The debate was also sparked because the Fireflies didn't tell her the truth and give her that choice which was the argument some make for agreeing what Joel did. However, Ellie would have let them do it which means there was actually no choice at all. Joel's grief and his feelings about Ellie drove him once again over the edge and possibly doomed the human race. It was super controversial in the gaming community. It's been so hotly debated for years if he did the right thing or not.

They are also going to have to deviate from the second game a bit because they said they are not replacing Bella unless she wants to leave the show. Ellie is 19 in the second game. I think it's a mistake. They should time jump and replace her but that is me.

Stay tuned. The 2nd game makes another controversial decision which again set the gaming community on fire. Again, if they are not replacing Ellie maybe they will change what is coming but I doubt it.
The time jump/actress needs to be replace thing makes no sense to me. Pretty sure a 20 year old actress can play 19.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The time jump/actress needs to be replace thing makes no sense to me. Pretty sure a 20 year old actress can play 19.
Maybe with some changes to makeup but in the game they are physically very different. Ellie has gone through alot in 4 years, looks more mature and no longer carries herself like a kid. Bella is going to look exactly the same for the most part. I am going to have a hard time buying that but we shall see.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I'm waiting to see the season 2 reactions for what you're alluding to in game. If it's handled the same way we're going to see a lot of pissed off people I think. I have a similar feeling to GoT when I knew that Ed Stark, House of the Undying, Joffrey, Red Wedding, and other big events were coming up.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone please explain to me what the purpose of the impossible (after 20 years) giraffe scene was for.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Someone please explain to me what the purpose of the impossible (after 20 years) giraffe scene was for.

Much like the entire story, it's about the experience of both of them and how they change over time. Watching the 6 minute talk about each episode helps give insight to certain things as well.

The scene was also in the game, but basically it was a brief moment of happiness and innocence, similar to how she was in the beginning, after she has transformed into what she is now and especially after her experience in the previous episode.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much like the entire story, it's about the experience of both of them and how they change over time. Watching the 6 minute talk about each episode helps give insight to certain things as well.

The scene was also in the game, but basically it was a brief moment of happiness and innocence, similar to how she was in the beginning, after she has transformed into what she is now and especially after her experience in the previous episode.
Yep. It basically says there is hope for life after everything seems lost.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe with some changes to makeup but in the game they are physically very different. Ellie has gone through alot in 4 years, looks more mature and no longer carries herself like a kid. Bella is going to look exactly the same for the most part. I am going to have a hard time buying that but we shall see.
Well, you’re not watching the game. You’re watching the show. The actress is 20 years old. They costumed her and probably shot her in a way to look young. I’m sure They’ll do the same to make her look her actual age moving forward with that kind of time jump.

Also, the show probably isn’t going into production until at least the end of the year and what you saw this season was shot last year so she’s going to probably be at least two years older in reality than when she shot season 1.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you’re not watching the game. You’re watching the show. The actress is 20 years old. They costumed her and probably shot her in a way to look young. I’m sure They’ll do the same to make her look her actual age moving forward with that kind of time jump.

Also, the show probably isn’t going into production until at least the end of the year and what you saw this season was shot last year so she’s going to probably be at least two years older in reality than when she shot season 1.
The actress isn't changing physically at 20. Although I heard they did used a chest binder on her to make her look younger. Did you see the part where I also said they could do something with makeup? They are not going to make her any taller though like in the game. That's not happening. I get it though, it's not realistic to change your leads after Season 1 for TV.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

Bella has been made to look younger in this show, including wearing a chest binder to make her look even more like a younger teen. Although it would be odd if she was made up to look "her age." By the time the next season starts shooting, she'll probably be 21+.

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bella has been made to look younger in this show, including wearing a chest binder to make her look even more like a younger teen. Although it would be odd if she was made up to look "her age." By the time the next season starts shooting, she'll probably be 21+.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah I brought that up above. They already confirmed she isn’t going anywhere.

Stout

Reaction score
The actress isn't changing physically at 20. Although I heard they did used a chest binder on her to make her look younger. Did you see the part where I also said they could do something with makeup? They are not going to make her any taller though like in the game. That's not happening. I get it though, it's not realistic to change your leads after Season 1 for TV.
Are you kidding? It's super easy to make someone look taller in film.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding? It's super easy to make someone look taller in film.
Meh....everybody still knows how short she is. Sure you can change angles, use platforms but I doubt they even care about that detail at all. The TV show has already made some changes.

Stout

Reaction score
Meh....everybody still knows how short she is. Sure you can change angles, use platforms but I doubt they even care about that detail at all. The TV show has already made some changes.
Um, so what? Everyone knows how short Tom Cruise is, and it isn't a problem in most of his movies. Unless she needs to be a ginormous woman like Brienne of Tarth? I'm of course referencing Tom Cruise not "measuring up" to the Jack Reacher role.

If this is what you're hanging your hat on as to why she should be re-cast, then meh indeed :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, so what? Everyone knows how short Tom Cruise is, and it isn't a problem in most of his movies. Unless she needs to be a ginormous woman like Brienne of Tarth? I'm of course referencing Tom Cruise not "measuring up" to the Jack Reacher role.

If this is what you're hanging your hat on as to why she should be re-cast, then meh indeed :)
You are not reading what I wrote. I said, I doubt they care. They have already made changes. I doubt she is going to look that much older or that they care much. It's more about continuity in TV. Nobody cares if they age up and change a game character. It's not realistic for the TV platform.

Double meh.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
damn... as soon as that episode started you could see the change in their relationship. the tension... it was obvious that the fact she didnt leave him behind changed Joel....then they had the talk and it lessened.

I was right there with Joel... they didnt have enough time to run tests to even see if they could get what they needed from her blood...just straight to brain amputation....without even giving her a choice.
they were murdering his little girl all over again.

The human race? why are we working under the concept it has to survive?
life is meaningless without the people you love.

given the choice to exist like that,...or to live my life with the ones I love and let humanity die with us?

Thats no choice at all.

II thought it was really cool we finally got to see that horrible murderous Joel we been hearing about all season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree that the last episode was rushed, I personally felt like the entire season was rushed. There was so much action and story telling that they left out. (even though the got the major parts in there) I thought it should have been a 12-15 episode series for the first season, maybe more.

Not surprised that there is a lot of let-down in the final episode, I felt a bit of it too. Even saying that, it is the best thing I have seen on TV in quite some time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose