Last of Us (HBO Max)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reeks of you trying to find something wrong (as you are wont to do). Congrats, you’ve done it again! :)

That said, this episode was a direct translation of a DLC in the game I believe.
Yes it was. Not only that, but the setting has relevance. I think they will cover that either next episode or coming up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I greatly prefer the mall episode to ep. 3. I think there is some burnout from people not wanting another character driven episode. Damn this show is amazing. Best thing on TV since Queen's Gambit.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I greatly prefer the mall episode to ep. 3. I think there is some burnout from people not wanting another character driven episode. Damn this show is amazing. Best thing on TV since Queen's Gambit.
I liked them both but Episode 3 was fantastic. My wife's favorite episode so far. She liked the Mall episode as well. I am still in shock she is loving this show.

Now if I can only get her to love Science Fiction, Fantasy and more sports I might have to marry her again. LOL.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This reeks of you trying to find something wrong (as you are wont to do). Congrats, you’ve done it again! :)

That said, this episode was a direct translation of a DLC in the game I believe.
Great, so any time I have a divergent opinion from yours it's my fault because I have a character flaw? Yeah, bull pucky. We simply disagree. And others disagree with you as well.

I think you answered in your second paragraph why others aren't going for this last episode. We didn't need a direct translation. This episode reverted back to the mean of regular fare, with some clear story flaws. That's a good thing because it means the show is great overall, even if this episode wasn't up to snuff.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, so any time I have a divergent opinion from yours it's my fault because I have a character flaw? Yeah, bull pucky. We simply disagree. And others disagree with you as well.

I think you answered in your second paragraph why others aren't going for this last episode. We didn't need a direct translation. This episode reverted back to the mean of regular fare, with some clear story flaws. That's a good thing because it means the show is great overall, even if this episode wasn't up to snuff.
May are going for that episode too. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has there been anything in the past 2 years that has come close to these two shows that I somehow missed?
Just off the top of my head… Andor, The Bear, Succession, Severance, White Lotus, Mare Of Eastown, Squid Game, The Underground Railroad (incredibly tough watch but criminally under seen/promoted), Dopesick, The Dropout, The Staircase, We Own This City, Peacemaker. Hell, I’d probably out Interview With A Vampire up against it as well.

That’s not to say I’m damning Last Of Us with faint praise. It’s a really good show and episode 3 was one of the finest hours of any TV show in history, but I’m not completely over the moon/transfixed by it the way I was almost all of the above.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head… Andor, The Bear, Succession, Severance, White Lotus, Mare Of Eastown, Squid Game, The Underground Railroad (incredibly tough watch but criminally under seen/promoted), Dopesick, The Dropout, The Staircase, We Own This City, Peacemaker. Hell, I’d probably out Interview With A Vampire up against it as well.

That’s not to say I’m damning Last Of Us with faint praise. It’s a really good show and episode 3 was one of the finest hours of any TV show in history, but I’m not completely over the moon/transfixed by it the way I was almost all of the above.
I have seen a few of those. None of them (that I have seen) are on the same level as Queen's Gambit and TLOU.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few of those. None of them (that I have seen) are on the same level as Queen's Gambit and TLOU.
Agree to disagree.

Not on Queen’s. That show was incredible. But this show ain’t even close to the other shows I mentioned. It’s a REALLY good zombie show, but it ain’t breaking the mold for me like the others I mentioned.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

Not on Queen’s. That show was incredible. But this show ain’t even close to the other shows I mentioned. It’s a REALLY good zombie show, but it ain’t breaking the mold for me like the others I mentioned.
Agree to disagree.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks Cheese. You saved me a lot of typing. :cheers:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

yeah...you tricked me.
I watched the entire season of queens gambit waiting for it to get as exciting as Rocky

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s not my MO. I’m fairly easily entertained. And I agree with Stout on this one. But whatevs, no biggie.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I think episode 3 may be one of the best zombie apocalypse type show episodes ever. I’m concurrently watching The Walking Dead, The Last of Us, Resident Evil, and just started Black Summer (yes, I’m in zombietopia) so comparing them side-by-side is interesting.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although entirely predictable, it was definitely the 2nd best of the episodes, behind episode 3.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
It was good. My question is:

where were all the rest of the town’s people when the building is on fire? And they can just go out the back door without being seen by anyone?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is good to know
Unfortunately, despite this being a good episode, I was also disappointed for the first time..at the same time. They completely skipped over a part of the story that ties the mall episode together with the overall story.

In the game. The mall episode starts in the present because Ellie is looking for medical supplies. She seems to have an odd familiarity with the mall. In the game it than flashes back to the past (the episode we had seen in the mall) to explain all of that and some detailed backstory.

I had assumed they were doing it slightly out of order. However, they decided to skip that all together. That would have alleviated some of the complaints people had about the mall episode. Then they skipped to the next part which is what we had seen tonight. Is was an unnecessary change.

The only thing I can think of is they are trying to compress storylines to fit the entire game into a single season. If they keep doing that it’s going to continue to create story gaps.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Unfortunately, despite this being a good episode, I was also disappointed for the first time. They completely skipped over a part of the story that ties the mall episode together with the overall story.

In the game. The mall episode starts in the present because Ellie is looking for medical supplies. She seems to have an odd familiarity with the mall. In the game it than flashes back to the past (the episode we had seen) to explain all of that and some detailed backstory.

I had assumed they were doing it slightly out of order. However, they decided to skip that all together. That would have alleviated some of the complaints people had about the mall episode.

Then they skipped to the next part which is what we had seen tonight. I hope they don’t keep doing this. It appears they compressed the stories to fit the entire game into a single season. If they keep doing that it’s going to continue to create story gaps.
That would mean staying in Boston for more time than they had in the season. There’s only 9 episodes.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would mean staying in Boston for more time than they had in the season. There’s only 9 episodes.
Then they are sacrificing a more coherent story for the sake of jamming everything into a single season. They should have spread it out over two seasons or a season and half for the first game then. I don’t see a reason, knowing the story, to put everything in 9 episodes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Then they are sacrificing a more coherent story for the sake of jamming everything into a single season. They should have spread it out over two seasons or a season and half for the first game then. I don’t see a reason, knowing the story, to put everything in 9 episodes.
If they were unsure that they would get a second season, that’s a pretty darn good reason to try to fit it all in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard