Lakers @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread 5-23-2021 - Game 1

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dunno...This seems like a great movie in the making.

Oh wait a minute...they made it already and it's called Hoosiers...darn it

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's pretty unofficial. I was looking for the current pregame intro video, is there one?

I guess they can always dust the one off from the Barkley years

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Absolute Zero

It sounds a lot like this song at a different speed.

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye - Steam

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether or not we put up a really good fight all depends on on Sunday, IMO. If we lose Game 1, I think pressure snowballs and we lose in 5 games, max.

we win and I can see us pushing this thing to 6, outside chance at 7.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a preview of the Suns vs Lakers via a podcast.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our best defender for Davis, imo, is Crowder. Do we try and do what GS did, and match Crowders minutes to Davis? Or do we put crowder on lebron?

Lebron has slowed down quite a bit, i dont see him blowing by anyone but using strength to get to the rim. I did like what GS did by pressuring lebron full court and getting the ball out of his hands.

How do we play the match up game?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our best defender for Davis, imo, is Crowder. Do we try and do what GS did, and match Crowders minutes to Davis? Or do we put crowder on lebron?

Lebron has slowed down quite a bit, i dont see him blowing by anyone but using strength to get to the rim. I did like what GS did by pressuring lebron full court and getting the ball out of his hands.

How do we play the match up game?

It will be interesting to see who guards Lebron and Anthony Davis. Crowder and Bridges could draw either assignment. I'm sure Torrey Craig and Cam Johnson will get their chances as well. I can even see Ayton trying to guard Davis.

However, if things go South guarding Anthony Davis, sometime in the series I'd like to see Monty try Stix on him.

It seems a bit off the wall because Stix hasn't played much this season but his quickness and height might provide a new wrinkle or at least give the Suns some more fouls to burn.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It speaks really poorly of Ayton that when we talk about who should guard Davis, he’s the last person mentioned.

Davis will completely destroy Crowder. We know we’re likely to get next to nothing from Ayton on offense. If we’re also taking him off the most important defensive matchup series, he’s almost useless out there.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton will surely guard AD. Maybe not early to avoid foul trouble.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It speaks really poorly of Ayton that when we talk about who should guard Davis, he’s the last person mentioned.

Davis will completely destroy Crowder. We know we’re likely to get next to nothing from Ayton on offense. If we’re also taking him off the most important defensive matchup series, he’s almost useless out there.

dude that’s kind of how it works and how it’s worked for some years. It’s a match up game.

I mean I get it but damn. Have a little faith go look at all your post it’s doom and gloom. Enjoy the ride.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton will surely guard AD. Maybe not early to avoid foul trouble.

This is the issue, he's our only legit rim protector, cant have the refs and AD gang up on Ayton, we have to have him with 2 fouls or less in the second half to have a chance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
dude that’s kind of how it works and how it’s worked for some years. It’s a match up game.

I mean I get it but damn. Have a little faith go look at all your post it’s doom and gloom. Enjoy the ride.
Would be great if you actually posted your thoughts on the matchup instead of the usual MACHO-HE-MAN act.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Would be great if you actually posted your thoughts on the matchup instead of the usual MACHO-HE-MAN act.

What's the point? The fan rules of team sports are (a) that the best team always wins, and (b) once a game or series is over, its outcome was always inevitable. The Lakers will probably win this series, which according to those rules means that they were the better team and that their win was guaranteed before the series started. So there's nothing left to talk about.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't really agree with this take.

Ayton is the only one we have big enough to bang with the lakers centers, secure rebounds and attempt to block some shots. That is more important than guarding AD 10 - 15% better because offensive rebounds will kill us much faster, and Ayton is less likely to get in foul trouble under the basket. He's also likely to do more defensively bothering a few shots at the rim, than if he was out on AD.

I agree Crowder can't really guard him. I think we have to just double him when he starts backing someone down and hope for the best. If we are lucky he will be content to take jump shots.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the issue, he's our only legit rim protector, cant have the refs and AD gang up on Ayton, we have to have him with 2 fouls or less in the second half to have a chance.

Lakers very much know that. Caruso was doing his damdest to drive into Ayton to get fouls on him - and he was successful twice early in the last game.

Ayton very likely will get in foul trouble - because the Lakers will be trying to force him to because they know we have no legit backup.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh god here we go.

can I talk to your brother without you running in.

if you take what I post as “ Macho-He Man” stuff that’s on you and speaks to your own feelings about you.

if me saying hey man relax and enjoy the ride. Nobody on earth thought we would be here. I can’t control this series, you can’t, none of us here can and are we big underdogs? Sure. Doesn’t mean we can’t go out and fight and give it everything we got right? Think of all the glory and respect if we win?

if me posting stuff like that is to “Macho-He Man” for you then I’m sorry bud. Just DM me tell me what you would like me to post and I’ll stick to your script from now on. K

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??!?!

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Relax
Lakers cant hang with us, not for four games.
We need to run the ball tire those old folks out.
Lebrons got the ankles of a 90 year old grape stomper.
Our team is built for the playoffs.
We have 5 dudes sitting on the bench that can jump on and drop 30 on any given night.
The Lakers have a 7-8 man rotation at best.

If we play it smart this is a 4-5 game series.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers very much know that. Caruso was doing his damdest to drive into Ayton to get fouls on him - and he was successful twice early in the last game.

Ayton very likely will get in foul trouble - because the Lakers will be trying to force him to because they know we have no legit backup.

I wish the Suns had given Jalen Smith more playing time during the season but I thought he was too raw until the regular season finale against the Spurs. He didn't look half bad in that game.

Getting playing time against the Lakers is a lot to ask but the Suns might have to use him some. I'm guessing this is why they drafted him, to add more size and athleticism to the front court.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
AD shoots 73% from the stripe. Put Frank the Tank and Dario on him. They need to grab his ass, pull his shorts, knee his thighs and step on his toes every chance they get.

Every time he touches the ball one of those guys fouls him HARD AF.

When Frank and Dario run out of fouls put DA in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relax
Lakers cant hang with us, not for four games.
We need to run the ball tire those old folks out.
Lebrons got the ankles of a 90 year old grape stomper.
Our team is built for the playoffs.
We have 5 dudes sitting on the bench that can jump on and drop 30 on any given night.
The Lakers have a 7-8 man rotation at best.

If we play it smart this is a 4-5 game series.

there’s one major problem with the above. We’re not a running team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AD shoots 73% from the stripe. Put Frank the Tank and Dario on him. They need to grab his ass, pull his shorts, knee his thighs and step on his toes every chance they get.

Every time he touches the ball one of those guys fouls him HARD AF.

When Frank and Dario run out of fouls put DA in.

AD is a good shooter but Suns need to figure out away to keep him out of the lane.

This worked for Golden State until the Lakers switched him to center.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave