Lakers @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread 5-23-2021 - Game 1

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any better bulletin board material other than a player trashing us?
Bulletin board material? A professional athlete makings millions needs it to get motivated? We should be motivated regardless. I think we are motivated. But a healthy Lakers’ team is better than my Suns. But that’s why we play the game. Could be our year.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns will live and die by the three. If its close You have to wonder if its going to be Booker like its been or will Paul take over.,

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Early in the season, maybe 3-4 weeks in, Barkley made a big spectacle of betting on the Blazers to come out of the west and put $250k on it right away. Everyone one else was more shocked than anything because it was such a stupid bet at such a bad time to do it.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Bulletin board material? A professional athlete makings millions needs it to get motivated? We should be motivated regardless. I think we are motivated. But a healthy Lakers’ team is better than my Suns. But that’s why we play the game. Could be our year.
I don't view bulletin board material as motivational. All players want to win and therefore are motivated.

The problem is focus. Back when I played sports (100 years ago with Naismith), I could get lost in distracting thoughts: stats, nerves, the hot blond in the 2nd row... However, if I hated the guy across from me or someone doubted me I was immediately laser focused. I'm not sure why it did that but it worked every time. Focused emotion is a powerful thing. And since all players are human, they are susceptible to distractions and lose focus.

And that's what bulletin board material does. It focuses you. (Pete Caroll is a master at this stuff). It gives guys a reason to forget all the nonsense and focus on beating your opponent, or just making doubters look the fool.

The Suns have a TON of material to focus them. I trust Monty to put the right stuff up there and get this team, young as they are, focused.

95pro

Registered
Reaction score
I don't view bulletin board material as motivational. All players want to win and therefore are motivated.

The problem is focus. Back when I played sports (100 years ago with Naismith), I could get lost in distracting thoughts: stats, nerves, the hot blond in the 2nd row... However, if I hated the guy across from me or someone doubted me I was immediately laser focused. I'm not sure why it did that but it worked every time. Focused emotion is a powerful thing. And since all players are human, they are susceptible to distractions and lose focus.

And that's what bulletin board material does. It focuses you. (Pete Caroll is a master at this stuff). It gives guys a reason to forget all the nonsense and focus on beating your opponent, or just making doubters look the fool.

The Suns have a TON of material to focus them. I trust Monty to put the right stuff up there and get this team, young as they are, focused.

And our on court coach too would feel this way as well, CP3 has a chip on his shoulder going into this.

pokerface

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dunno...This seems like a great movie in the making.

Oh wait a minute...they made it already and it's called Hoosiers...darn it

Absolute Zero

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's pretty unofficial. I was looking for the current pregame intro video, is there one?

I guess they can always dust the one off from the Barkley years

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Absolute Zero

It sounds a lot like this song at a different speed.

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye - Steam

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether or not we put up a really good fight all depends on on Sunday, IMO. If we lose Game 1, I think pressure snowballs and we lose in 5 games, max.

we win and I can see us pushing this thing to 6, outside chance at 7.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a preview of the Suns vs Lakers via a podcast.

95pro

Registered
Reaction score
Our best defender for Davis, imo, is Crowder. Do we try and do what GS did, and match Crowders minutes to Davis? Or do we put crowder on lebron?

Lebron has slowed down quite a bit, i dont see him blowing by anyone but using strength to get to the rim. I did like what GS did by pressuring lebron full court and getting the ball out of his hands.

How do we play the match up game?

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our best defender for Davis, imo, is Crowder. Do we try and do what GS did, and match Crowders minutes to Davis? Or do we put crowder on lebron?

Lebron has slowed down quite a bit, i dont see him blowing by anyone but using strength to get to the rim. I did like what GS did by pressuring lebron full court and getting the ball out of his hands.

How do we play the match up game?

It will be interesting to see who guards Lebron and Anthony Davis. Crowder and Bridges could draw either assignment. I'm sure Torrey Craig and Cam Johnson will get their chances as well. I can even see Ayton trying to guard Davis.

However, if things go South guarding Anthony Davis, sometime in the series I'd like to see Monty try Stix on him.

It seems a bit off the wall because Stix hasn't played much this season but his quickness and height might provide a new wrinkle or at least give the Suns some more fouls to burn.

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It speaks really poorly of Ayton that when we talk about who should guard Davis, he’s the last person mentioned.

Davis will completely destroy Crowder. We know we’re likely to get next to nothing from Ayton on offense. If we’re also taking him off the most important defensive matchup series, he’s almost useless out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netsnjkidd