Lakers @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread 5-23-2021 - Game 1

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Sample size renders this all but useless for predictions, but here's how Lebron has fared against Phoenix defenders recently:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish the Suns had given Jalen Smith more playing time during the season but I thought he was too raw until the regular season finale against the Spurs. He didn't look half bad in that game.

Getting playing time against the Lakers is a lot to ask but the Suns might have to use him some. I'm guessing this is why they drafted him, to add more size and athleticism to the front court.

Jalen Smith is not strong enough. Even if he wasn't raw, he would get pushed around more than even a Cam Johnson would.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Relax
Lakers cant hang with us, not for four games.
We need to run the ball tire those old folks out.
Lebrons got the ankles of a 90 year old grape stomper.
Our team is built for the playoffs.
We have 5 dudes sitting on the bench that can jump on and drop 30 on any given night.
The Lakers have a 7-8 man rotation at best.

If we play it smart this is a 4-5 game series.

I actually thought that. I think I heard a coach say that once as far as youth vs talent. But they got size soooo...Im still scared

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who guards Lebron and Anthony Davis. Crowder and Bridges could draw either assignment. I'm sure Torrey Craig and Cam Johnson will get their chances as well. I can even see Ayton trying to guard Davis.

However, if things go South guarding Anthony Davis, sometime in the series I'd like to see Monty try Stix on him.

It seems a bit off the wall because Stix hasn't played much this season but his quickness and height might provide a new wrinkle or at least give the Suns some more fouls to burn.

Yeah right. Ayton is too valuable to risk foul trouble with AD. But maybe ok to involve him in random double teams once in awhile

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, we making predictions or what?

I sadly say Lakers in 6, but if we win Game 1, puncher's chance of Suns in 7!

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Relax
Lakers cant hang with us, not for four games.
We need to run the ball tire those old folks out.
Lebrons got the ankles of a 90 year old grape stomper.
Our team is built for the playoffs.
We have 5 dudes sitting on the bench that can jump on and drop 30 on any given night.
The Lakers have a 7-8 man rotation at best.

If we play it smart this is a 4-5 game series.

You should post more

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It speaks really poorly of Ayton that when we talk about who should guard Davis, he’s the last person mentioned.

Davis will completely destroy Crowder. We know we’re likely to get next to nothing from Ayton on offense. If we’re also taking him off the most important defensive matchup series, he’s almost useless out there.

Nah that's too harsh. Ayton seems more like in the mold of Mutombo as in a team defender. Besides no one can guard AD. It's going to take a team effort. We need Ayton not to be in foul trouble. He gives us a bit of everything out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah that's too harsh. Ayton seems more like in the mold of Mutombo as in a team defender. Besides no one can guard AD. It's going to take a team effort. We need Ayton not to be in foul trouble. He gives us a bit of everything out there.

man, I don't see this at all.

and AD isn't dominant against the entire league. He averaged 22 ppg this year. I just think people see AD as unstoppable because most of what they've seen is him routinely tuning us up.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Duane Rankin
@DuaneRankin
·
2h
"We'll see. Our game plan to do our best to have those guys ready." Monty Williams on Cam Johnson (wrist) and Deandre Ayton (knee).

"They're trending in a good place." #Suns

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
man, I don't see this at all.

and AD isn't dominant against the entire league. He averaged 22 ppg this year. I just think people see AD as unstoppable because most of what they've seen is him routinely tuning us up.

If Ayton racks up fouls against AD and we have to sit him thats going to hurt us in general...plus AD will still get his anyway. The only compromise I see in this is if Ayton gets by in the first half without being a foul magnet then let him have a crack at Davis in the second half.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Smith is not strong enough. Even if he wasn't raw, he would get pushed around more than even a Cam Johnson would.

Since Jalen Smith didn't play much this season it would be experimental. No doubt he needs to get stronger. Still his athleticism and length might alter some shots.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dave McMenamin
@mcten

·
1h

Suns coach Monty Williams pushes back against the notion of PHX, as the No. 2 seed, being disappointed by drawing the Lakers: "It's not like somebody did something to our Cheerios ... Everything you want is on the other side of hard. Right now, the Lakers are our hard"

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

·
1h

Devin Booker said he's more about ignoring the outside noise than using it as motivation. A buddy texted him saying "they" picked the Lakers to win. He replied with, "Who are they?" which speaks to his mentality as a whole on listening to any of that stuff.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton racks up fouls against AD and we have to sit him thats going to hurt us in general...plus AD will still get his anyway. The only compromise I see in this is if Ayton gets by in the first half without being a foul magnet then let him have a crack at Davis in the second half.

I'm not saying we SHOULD play Ayton against Davis, I'm saying we should BE ABLE to play him against Davis if he wasn't such a disappointment. Unfortunately, he's not the defender we all hoped he'd be, so you're right. they have to hide him against what is the natural matchup you'd expect from two #1 picks who were both Centers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose