Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Rankin
@DuaneRankin

·
1h

"Everything is on the other side of hard. Right now the Lakers are our hard." Monty Williams when asked if #Suns should be bitter about playing the #Lakers in the first round. He said the Suns aren't bitter and are looking forward to the challenge.

Dave McMenamin
@mcten

·
1h

Suns coach Monty Williams pushes back against the notion of PHX, as the No. 2 seed, being disappointed by drawing the Lakers: "It's not like somebody did something to our Cheerios ... Everything you want is on the other side of hard. Right now, the Lakers are our hard"

Monty's using my signature. Oh, wait. I got it from him. :)

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying we SHOULD play Ayton against Davis, I'm saying we should BE ABLE to play him against Davis if he wasn't such a disappointment. Unfortunately, he's not the defender we all hoped he'd be, so you're right. they have to hide him against what is the natural matchup you'd expect from two #1 picks who were both Centers.

Well Ayton hasn't been the league as long....But yeah I get your point. It is what it is...At least it's not Alex Len we're dealing with

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Rankin
@DuaneRankin
·
2h
"We'll see. Our game plan to do our best to have those guys ready." Monty Williams on Cam Johnson (wrist) and Deandre Ayton (knee).

"They're trending in a good place." #Suns

More indication Ayton did have real issues with a sore knee.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Suns will be at their most dangerous in game one while game two will have the Lakers more fired up.

We need game one

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will be at their most dangerous in game one while game two will have the Lakers more fired up.

We need game one

yeah. there's no way in hell we lose Game 1 and make it a series.

I've just been burned by seeing this franchise lose too many crucial Game 1s AT HOME in huge series.

1993 - First round against the Lakers. Massive hype, best record in the league, and... we lay a total egg. Go down 0-1, lose Game 2 at home as well and it’s takes an all-time comeback and Westy guarantee to beat the 8 seed Lakers. And in a heart-stopping OT in Game 5 no less!

1993 - four weeks later, just get CRUSHED at home in Game 1 of the Finals by the Bulls. The score might say we lost by 10, but it felt like they were up 30 the entire game and we never even challenged them. They took Game 2 as well and we were always coming from behind rest of that series. Lost ALL THREE HOME games in the Finals. 0-3 in the Finals.

2005 - Best record in the league again, and... we lose Game 1 to the Spurs in WCF. Go on to Lose game 2 of as well. And eventually lose Game 5 AGAIN at home. 0-3 at home in the WCF.

2007 - With Dallas knocked out, we again had the best record in the league in playoffs left and we play the Spurs and what happens? Of course, we lose HCA in Game 1. Spent the rest of the series playing catch-up. Went 1-2 at home.

Even in 2006, in the WCF after splitting IN Dallas to get HCA, we came home and promptly lost our first home game. Also lost Game 6 at home. 1-2 record at home in biggest series of the year.

2010 - that team was playing as well as it possibly could, actually held serve against the Lakers through 4 games, but of course... lost the series on our homecourt in 6 games.

1993, 2005, 2007 - all years that were our best shot at titles, where we had HCA in series with the eventual champions and our Home Record in those big series?

1-8

blegh!

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I've just been burned by seeing this franchise lose too many crucial Game 1s AT HOME in huge series.

1993 - First round against the Lakers. Massive hype, best record in the league, and... we lay a total egg. Go down 0-1, takes an all-time comeback and Westy guarantee to beat an 8 seed.

1993 - four weeks later, just get CRUSHED at home in Game 1 of the Finals by the Bulls. They took Game 2 as well and we were always coming from behind rest of that series. Lost ALL THREE HOME games in the Finals. 0-3 in the Finals.

2005 - Best record in the league again, and... we lose Game 1 to the Spurs in WCF. Go on to Lose game 2 of as well. And eventually lose Game 5 AGAIN at home. 0-3 at home in the WCF.

2007 - With Dallas knocked out, we again had the best record in the league in playoffs left and we play the Spurs and what happens? Of course, we lose HCA in Game 1. Spent the rest of the series playing catch-up. Went 1-2 at home.

Even in 2006, in the WCF after splitting IN Dallas to get HCA, we came home and promptly lost our first home game. Also lost Game 6 at home. 1-2 record at home in biggest series of the year.

2010 - that team was playing as well as it possibly could, actually held serve against the Lakers through 4 games, but of course... lost the series on our homecourt in 6 games.

1993, 2005, 2007 - all years that were our best shot at titles, where we had HCA in series with the eventual champions and our Home Record in those big series?

1-8

blegh!

WOW!

Game one will feel like Game seven

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

1993 - First round against the Lakers. Massive hype, best record in the league, and... we lay a total egg. Go down 0-1, takes an all-time comeback and Westy guarantee to beat an 8 seed.

1993 - four weeks later, just get CRUSHED at home in Game 1 of the Finals by the Bulls. They took Game 2 as well and we were always coming from behind rest of that series. Lost ALL THREE HOME games in the Finals. 0-3 in the Finals.

1-8

blegh!
That single post is like every horror movie I’ve ever seen rolled into one.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That single post is like every horror movie I’ve ever seen rolled into one.

Yeah and the Lakers are like every villain in every movie. I'm so tired of them buying championships. It's like playing against a stacked deck everytime between the refs and having the best players on their team. I'd like to see their sad faces just once. Them and their pompous fans.

:barf:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah and the Lakers are like every villain in every movie. I'm so tired of them buying championships. It's like playing against a stacked deck everytime between the refs and having the best players on their team. I'd like to see their sad faces just once. Them and their pompous fans.

:barf:

funny thing is since I became a Suns fan in 1989, we’ve played them six times in the playoffs and have actually gone 4-2. Problem is once we vanquished them, we never finished the job and won a damn title, even though we were a 1, 2 and 3 seed the last three times we won.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
funny thing is since 1989, we’ve played them seven times in the playoffs and have actually gone 4-3. Problem is once we vanquished them, we never finished the job and won a damn title, even though we were a 1, 2 and 3 seed the last three times we won.

You are full of interesting factoids today. :mrgreen:

Regardless,

DESTROY THEM MUTHAS!

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

1993 - First round against the Lakers. Massive hype, best record in the league, and... we lay a total egg. Go down 0-1, lose Game 2 at home as well and it’s takes an all-time comeback and Westy guarantee to beat the 8 seed Lakers. And in a heart-stopping OT in Game 5 no less!

1993 - four weeks later, just get CRUSHED at home in Game 1 of the Finals by the Bulls. The score might say we lost by 10, but it felt like they were up 30 the entire game and we never even challenged them. They took Game 2 as well and we were always coming from behind rest of that series. Lost ALL THREE HOME games in the Finals. 0-3 in the Finals.

1-8

blegh!
Now spend the right amount of time and research on some of our great WINS in games within our playoff history. I can come up with 5 great games just off the top of my head. Your takes are great but the doom and gloom in everything is so much more....I see the same posts in the Cards forum. BUT I see your point man it's tough rooting for these teams. The 97 Rose Bowl haunts me to this day. The 93 Suns tore my heart out. The 2008 Cards is the most pain I've ever felt as a fan. But holy hell man ...We are in a special season... with house money... and we are pretty damn good. Let's go Suns!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now spend the right amount of time and research on some of our great WINS in games within our playoff history. I can come up with 5 great games just off the top of my head. Your takes are great but the doom and gloom in everything is so much more....I see the same posts in the Cards forum. BUT I see your point man it's tough rooting for these teams. The 97 Rose Bowl haunts me to this day. The 93 Suns tore my heart out. The 2008 Cards is the most pain I've ever felt as a fan. But holy hell man ...We are in a special season... with house money... and we are pretty damn good. Let's go Suns!

I’m just talking about big Game 1’s dude.

I think if we win Game 1, we have a shot. That’s not doom and gloom. I’ve also been overwhelmingly positive since the moment we traded for Paul. Thought it was a great move when plenty of people here trashed it. I gave Sarver and JJ credit when they signed Crowder. Hell, I bought League Pass for the first time ever because I enjoyed the team so much. I glowed about them all year long with one caveat that Ayton drove me nuts. And I’ve said repeatedly that if we were playing any other team than this Laker team I’d expect to win. That ain’t doom and gloom. It’s just that some people take any bit of reasoned thinking that’s not 1000% positive as 1000% negative.

And I’m just pointing out how important Game 1 is, especially playing at home in a tough series. Weve repeatedly been in that position in our best years only to lose and immediately put ourselves behind the eight ball and lose in years we could have won titles. This is another one of those opportunities to right those wrongs. We just haven’t done that as a franchise at home in our biggest moments and it’s annoying as hell!

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 more day of stress free basketball I'm enjoying it

Lakers series hopefully doesn’t give me a heartattack lol

Go suns beat la!!! At least stretch the series...

God I'm freaking nervous

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese, enough with the facts and reality. I'm trying to convince myself we have a chance.

We do have a chance but that falls far more on the Lakers than us. We have to play fairly well, something we've done often this season but we're going to need some help from the Lakers to make it happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson