Kyler on Pat Mcafee show

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BritCard, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

The good thing is he has the arm to do it. He's just gotta really work on throwing while on the move. Ironically against the Rams (week 17) the last two years I thought he showed his best pocket presence when he couldnt move.

I think he's still trying to figure out his stop/go when moving. All his life he could just trust his legs to get out of trouble so he never really had to work the pocket.

Cardsfaninlouky, daves and Bkbobo like this.
  2. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Preaching to the choir on video games. Been playing them all my life on home consoles and in arcades (RIP Video Round-Up). Great (in moderation) for thinking, reflexes, imagination, etc.

It's not so much that he's a gamer it's the disinterested vibe he emits that seems like "Aw, shucks. We lost that game. Time for COD. I'll be on Twitch." Maybe he's just a different character than we normally see in driven franchise QB's of the past and he really is able to juggle being a young gamer and a professional football player with playbook and practice responsibilities. As always - time will tell. Just seems he's more comfortable as a mic'd up gamer than he does as a football player in front of a mic.

People bringing up what Pat P. or Fitz do in their off-seasons has nothing to do with what Kyler was doing during the season, IMHO. I've never seen Fitz during the season say "Aw, shucks. We lost the game, but if I hurry I think I can still make my tee time." :)

As with all distractions - win on the field and no one is saying a thing about any of this.

Solar7 and kerouac9 like this.
  3. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Russell Wilson. Murray and Wilson are both 5'10.

4. Brian in Mesa

upload_2021-2-5_8-45-50.png
    upload_2021-2-5_8-46-23.png

5. TJ

TJ Bobby Sarvs

Worth noting that Wilson has a high release point, which compares to a QB who’s 6’2” Not sure what Kyler’s is, but based on the number of batted balls, it’s likely considerably lower.

Hence, Wilson’s big moon balls

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  6. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Kyler's release is quicker though.

The thing Kyler needs to start doing is learning how to throw on his tippy toes like Brees does every now and then.

7. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Total QBR improved from 57.7 to 68.9

He'll continue to grow his game and get better.

jf-08, PACardsFan, daves and 2 others like this.
  8. Bkbobo

Bkbobo Registered

Ok Chris Collinsworth. Moon balls

9. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

Stacked?

The offensive line is comparable to ours.

Ekler played like 10 games.

Henry had the same # of TDs and 180 more yards than Dan Arnold.

Kirk had 70 yards less than Mike Williams.

Herbert was able to make two 1st year WRs with no offseason in Jalen Guyton and Tyron Johnson work while Kyler struggled to connect with a HOF in Larry and 2nd round 2nd year Isabella.

Chargers offensive minded coach was fired for more in game blunders than Kliff so it was at best equally bad coaching.

I think you are significantly reaching when you say the Chargers offensive personnel was stacked compared to ours.

WisconsinCard and kerouac9 like this.
  10. Brian in Mesa

Cris :cool:

BIM

Bkbobo likes this.
  11. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

you dont think Larry and Pat P play golf during the season? I can guarantee that they do

i think the concern about his video game thing is because its seen -- whereas NFL players who engage in other things is more or less unseen.

12. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

in the FWIW category

it could be worse at the QB position

daves and legend like this.
  13. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

14. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

When you consider young QB's with limited exposure, you never know how they'll deal with adversity (or for that matter, success).

Too soon to evaluate Kyler, but it does make me nervous enough to troll later rounds for better depth).

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  15. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I don't know where to find the stat to show it but I really think the reason Kyler has more batted passes than Wilson is simple, we run short drop quick throws far more often than Seattle does so when he's throwing the ball, he's closer to the LOS and closer to the D linemen. I don't recall too many plays where Kyler was back in the pocket and had the ball batted down. There have been some but I think the majority of them were the short drop quick passes.

His size is absolutely a factor on some of them but then you have a guy like Flacco who has had problems with batted passes his whole career despite his size.

Kyler IMO does not have a low release, but on those shorter drops he has to often try to throw around or even under the DL.

BTW I just found this site, no idea how to verify the numbers but some interesting stuff. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kyler-murray/

It says Murray was 35th in YAC per target, that means 34 NFL QB's had WR's get more YAC per throw than him. Before we blame him for being inaccurate they rate him the 12th most accurate QB. It also shows average separation by Wr's as 20th. And the one that surprised me given how much we complain about all the short throws, Kyler was 5th in the NFL in their stats in deep ball attempts with deep being defined as at least 20 yards in the air, and 10th in "air yards" completed. So despite all the dink and dunk we all complain about only 4 NFL QB's apparently threw more balls at least 20 yards in the air.

Say it again get me Jaylen Waddle or someone who can get YAC and get open downfield and catch the ball