Kyler on Pat Mcafee show

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Worth noting that Wilson has a high release point, which compares to a QB who’s 6’2” Not sure what Kyler’s is, but based on the number of batted balls, it’s likely considerably lower.

Hence, Wilson’s big moon balls
Kyler's release is quicker though.

The thing Kyler needs to start doing is learning how to throw on his tippy toes like Brees does every now and then.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Worth noting that Wilson has a high release point, which compares to a QB who’s 6’2” Not sure what Kyler’s is, but based on the number of batted balls, it’s likely considerably lower.

Hence, Wilson’s big moon balls

Ok Chris Collinsworth. Moon balls

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
See my reply to @Chopper0080

That Chargers team is STACKED, they have playmakers everywhere
Stacked?

The offensive line is comparable to ours.

Ekler played like 10 games.

Henry had the same # of TDs and 180 more yards than Dan Arnold.

Kirk had 70 yards less than Mike Williams.

Herbert was able to make two 1st year WRs with no offseason in Jalen Guyton and Tyron Johnson work while Kyler struggled to connect with a HOF in Larry and 2nd round 2nd year Isabella.

Chargers offensive minded coach was fired for more in game blunders than Kliff so it was at best equally bad coaching.

I think you are significantly reaching when you say the Chargers offensive personnel was stacked compared to ours.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
People bringing up what Pat P. or Fitz do in their off-seasons has nothing to do with what Kyler was doing during the season,

you dont think Larry and Pat P play golf during the season? I can guarantee that they do

i think the concern about his video game thing is because its seen -- whereas NFL players who engage in other things is more or less unseen.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
in the FWIW category

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

it could be worse at the QB position

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you consider young QB's with limited exposure, you never know how they'll deal with adversity (or for that matter, success).

Too soon to evaluate Kyler, but it does make me nervous enough to troll later rounds for better depth).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler's release is quicker though.

The thing Kyler needs to start doing is learning how to throw on his tippy toes like Brees does every now and then.

I don't know where to find the stat to show it but I really think the reason Kyler has more batted passes than Wilson is simple, we run short drop quick throws far more often than Seattle does so when he's throwing the ball, he's closer to the LOS and closer to the D linemen. I don't recall too many plays where Kyler was back in the pocket and had the ball batted down. There have been some but I think the majority of them were the short drop quick passes.

His size is absolutely a factor on some of them but then you have a guy like Flacco who has had problems with batted passes his whole career despite his size.

Kyler IMO does not have a low release, but on those shorter drops he has to often try to throw around or even under the DL.

BTW I just found this site, no idea how to verify the numbers but some interesting stuff. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kyler-murray/

It says Murray was 35th in YAC per target, that means 34 NFL QB's had WR's get more YAC per throw than him. Before we blame him for being inaccurate they rate him the 12th most accurate QB. It also shows average separation by Wr's as 20th. And the one that surprised me given how much we complain about all the short throws, Kyler was 5th in the NFL in their stats in deep ball attempts with deep being defined as at least 20 yards in the air, and 10th in "air yards" completed. So despite all the dink and dunk we all complain about only 4 NFL QB's apparently threw more balls at least 20 yards in the air.

Say it again get me Jaylen Waddle or someone who can get YAC and get open downfield and catch the ball

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Total QBR improved from 57.7 to 68.9

He'll continue to grow his game and get better.
How can this be? Based on the expert analysis of some people on this board, Murray’s play hasn’t improved at all. As a matter of fact, his play has even regressed according to these experts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Aren't we judgmental? I'm glad you can make judgements about a 23 year old kid, 2nd year QB, who played 1 full season at the college level. For me, he comes off as a great kid, who just completed 67% of his passes for 4000 yards & accounted for 37 touchdowns. I've been a fan for 57 years & he's the best young QB we have EVER had or will likely EVER have. I think he "comes off as pretty damn good". If you're looking for someone who does come off as a prick, then try Aaron Rodgers. And what was he like after 2 years in the NFL? He was sitting on the bench trying to stab Favre in the back every chance he got.
By many accounts Rodgers was a prick before he was even drafted. That’s direct from a close friend who knew him personally.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hatred is a very strong word. Many of us are just not sold on Kyler. Nothing diabolical as you seem to imply.

Several reasons. Ironically, a potential baseball career was never one that bothered me.

He's not the guy some of us wanted as QB. I personally was all-in on Lamar Jackson (despite the fact that he is a Heisman winner - more on that next). I was also one of those for keeping Rosen and drafting Q. Williams. Just seemed like we completely wasted the previous year's draft by trading up for a QB (not a surprise with Keim).

He won the Heisman in college. (May sound silly, but only two college QB's have ever won the Heisman as a college QB and then won the SB as a pro QB. Two wins each so that's 4-51 after this year (SB 55))

He's too short. No one his height has ever won a Super Bowl. Worried about field vision and batted passes.

Worried about his durability. Not only is he short - he has a small frame. Russ Wilson is only a little taller but is built better.

Personality. He seems like a kid whose more concerned with his video games and Twitch stream than practice or the next game. Seems disinterested. This is nothing new. There were plenty of pre-draft concerns about his interviews and his not being "the guy" like this article:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/05/kyler-murray-backlash-arrives-worst-reports-execs-ever-heard/

Still a Cards fan and hoping he proves me wrong, but I'm still not sold on him being anything other than a flashy QB that gets us to mediocre records and maybe a few playoff appearances but never over the hump to win it all (which is the goal, or should be).

So far he's a potential franchise QB, but I do not feel he is "clearly the guy" or anything. He's a work in progress. Unfortunately, he's tied to a head coach that is also not "clearly the guy" in his position either...

just my two cents on this Thursday morning.
Comments like these that have zero basis in fact make me shake my head and think “old man thinking.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Murray could fall off a cliff next year. THis year, he was a better passer than Kyler, which is why he's on the list.

The bolded statement seem in conflict. He's not great, but the only QB you'd rather have is Patrick Mahomes? C'mon. That's living in a world made entirely of expectations.

When Murray arrived on the team has nothing to do with whether he wants the team to win more than I — a fan of 30+ years — do. I think Murray is happy to work in the gym pumping iron and throwing the ball with his teammates. But there's a limit to how much doing that will help. You have to do the work watching film, studying tendencies, and stuff that you have to learn from an experienced vet or a coach you trust.

When you see Murray making the same mistakes over and over or not improving decision-making and just trying to out-physical opponents, it's an indication to me that the study part isn't there yet.
Meh that’s a giant assumption on your part. We’ve never heard a peep about his prep for good or bad. That typically means it’s fine.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thats how I know ya'll dont watch any football outside of Arizona.

Herbert has a squad around him. He is as a 1, 2 and 3 that are better than anyone in AZ outside of Hop

He also has a great rb rotation.

Watch the games, then you will stop hyping up every tom dick and harry
SD had a hyped rb stable preseason but other than ekeler, who missed a ton of time with injury, it was unproven and proved to be lackluster. Definitely superior receiving options though.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir on video games. Been playing them all my life on home consoles and in arcades (RIP Video Round-Up). Great (in moderation) for thinking, reflexes, imagination, etc.

It's not so much that he's a gamer it's the disinterested vibe he emits that seems like "Aw, shucks. We lost that game. Time for COD. I'll be on Twitch." Maybe he's just a different character than we normally see in driven franchise QB's of the past and he really is able to juggle being a young gamer and a professional football player with playbook and practice responsibilities. As always - time will tell. Just seems he's more comfortable as a mic'd up gamer than he does as a football player in front of a mic.

People bringing up what Pat P. or Fitz do in their off-seasons has nothing to do with what Kyler was doing during the season, IMHO. I've never seen Fitz during the season say "Aw, shucks. We lost the game, but if I hurry I think I can still make my tee time." :)

As with all distractions - win on the field and no one is saying a thing about any of this.
Pro athletes play a ton of golf even in season. But there’s nothing streaming that so we’ve just known about it the same way as twitch. Pro basketball players are all over it too.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pro athletes play a ton of golf even in season. But there’s nothing streaming that so we’ve just known about it the same way as twitch. Pro basketball players are all over it too.
As are pro baseball players, pro hockey players, professional wrestlers, etc. You can find multiple athletes from different sports all over twitch. Trust me, I’m the generation that keeps up with it.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
they beat GB because Rodgers wanted his HC fired. LOL.

That's just not true and a line many have put out there. If he was trying to get his coach fired then why did he drive them down the field for a game winning FG attempt? I was there and he was trying his best to win that game. Oh and while I'm at it why did he drive them down for the lead on the drive before?

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I've largely avoided the argument because of how anti-Kyler I was, but now that I've eased up on him, I have to chime in. We're not a winning team. That makes any player or coach up for judgement and discussion. It strikes me as wild that people like @PACardsFan and @TaylorSwift treat those who would dare question Kyler's greatness as blasphemers.

Until he takes this team to the playoffs and starts to win, we have to question if he's going to be more than a Stafford, Rivers, Winston... high picks who put up great production, but just were never capable of putting up the wins like some others.

KM's question marks do stand out. I don't think anyone who criticizes him is saying "this is who he is, and he can't grow out of it." It's just a matter of pointing out that the young QB has a lot to fix, and especially in this symbiotic relationship with Kliff, it's valid to question if our coach is the right guy to light that fire.

As far as Twitch goes - I'm a gamer. I've been gaming my whole life, and hell, I've been a moderator on IGN.com (basically the internet's biggest gaming site) for 20 years. I'll admit to not tracking everything Kyler does on the platform, but if his Pro Bowl performance is any indicator of how well he knows Madden and other games, he obviously puts in a lot of time and practice. He knew exactly where to find a specific play, on what page, in coaching Bubba Watson, a Nascar driver. I played a lot of Madden back in my day and I didn't have the pages and packages memorized.

So it makes me wonder as others do: how much time is he putting into that hobby that we don't see off camera? Fitz may golf, but is it daily? Is it at night? Is he playing 18 holes a day? We don't know what Kyler is doing, no, but he does seem to have a very "what will be will be" attitude about the team, and I think it's fair to be concerned about on-field body language and study habits.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler's Twitch streams are not very long and they're at night, meaning it's probably something he does after he's done with his training. Its clear he's very into video games, he's even stated he would be a pro gamer if he wasn't a pro athlete. But I don't think its fair to think his video game habits are holding him back as a QB. Believe it or not, no one can spend ALL of their time working out. Adequate rest is actually beneficial for athletes. Even if Kyler WANTED to spend all day working out his coaches would force him to take breaks and do something else.

All NFL athletes have vices and for a lot of them its getting piss drunk at clubs. IMO what Kyler's doing has much less of a chance to be impactful on his play than clubbing. He's not having to workout through a hangover after a long night of videogames.

I honestly think a lot of the "I don't believe in Kyler" attitude might come from him being a short introvert. There have actually been a fair amount of studies on height bias. A lot of people subconsciously believe that taller, extroverted people are fundamentally more competent. There's a lot of hesitancy to respect shorter people in leadership roles.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler's Twitch streams are not very long and they're at night, meaning it's probably something he does after he's done with his training. Its clear he's very into video games, he's even stated he would be a pro gamer if he wasn't a pro athlete. But I don't think its fair to think his video game habits are holding him back as a QB. Believe it or not, no one can spend ALL of their time working out. Adequate rest is actually beneficial for athletes. Even if Kyler WANTED to spend all day working out his coaches would force him to take breaks and do something else.

All NFL athletes have vices and for a lot of them its getting piss drunk at clubs. IMO what Kyler's doing has much less of a chance to be impactful on his play than clubbing. He's not having to workout through a hangover after a long night of videogames.

I honestly think a lot of the "I don't believe in Kyler" attitude might come from him being a short introvert. There have actually been a fair amount of studies on height bias. A lot of people subconsciously believe that taller, extroverted people are fundamentally more competent. There's a lot of hesitancy to respect shorter people in leadership roles.

Playing video games isnt like resting
Usually everything is quite frenetic there consuming some mental energy
During the first lockdown here I spend few hours daily playing f1 racing cars, I had to stop after three weeks cause of epicondylitis

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's just not true and a line many have put out there. If he was trying to get his coach fired then why did he drive them down the field for a game winning FG attempt? I was there and he was trying his best to win that game. Oh and while I'm at it why did he drive them down for the lead on the drive before?
I have the game taped & have watched it a few times. Until that last drive, you could hear the crowd’s displeasure with Rodgers. He threw the ball like 50 times & his yardage for the game was maybe 225 yards. It wouldn’t have been close had the Packers not dropped like 3 picks that Rosen threw right to them. I do remember Edmonds having a great game. I have a close friend in Little Chute & I was supposed to go to that game. Something came up & I had to cancel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave