Kyler Murray, does he make NFLTOP100 list?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Player Age Pos G GS Drafted (tm/rnd/yr)

Dwayne Allen 22 TE 16 16 Indianapolis Colts / 3rd / 64th pick / 2012
Antoine Bethea 28 FS 16 16 Indianapolis Colts / 6th / 207th pick / 2006
Anthony Castonzo 24 LT 16 16 Indianapolis Colts / 1st / 22nd pick / 2011
Jerrell Freeman 26 RILB 16 16
Andrew Luck * 23 QB 16 16 Indianapolis Colts / 1st / 1st pick / 2012
Mike McGlynn 27 RG 16 16 Philadelphia Eagles / 4th / 109th pick / 2008
Donnie Avery 28 WR 16 15 St. Louis Rams / 2nd / 33rd pick / 2008
Reggie Wayne* 34 WR 16 15 Indianapolis Colts / 1st / 30th pick / 2001
Dwight Freeney 32 ROLB 14 14 Indianapolis Colts / 1st / 11th pick / 2002
Cory Redding 32 LDE 14 14 Detroit Lions / 3rd / 66th pick / 2003
Antonio Johnson 28 NT 14 13 Tennessee Titans / 5th / 152nd pick / 2007
Vick Ballard 22 RB 16 12 Indianapolis Colts / 5th / 170th pick / 2012
Kavell Conner 25 LILB 14 12 Indianapolis Colts / 7th / 240th pick / 2010
Winston Justice 28 RT 12 12 Philadelphia Eagles / 2nd / 39th pick / 2006
Robert Mathis* 31 LOLB 12 12 Indianapolis Colts / 5th / 138th pick / 2003
Samson Satele 28 C 11 11 Miami Dolphins / 2nd / 60th pick / 2007
Cassius Vaughn 25 LCB 16 11
Tom Zbikowski 27 SS 11 11 Baltimore Ravens / 3rd / 86th pick / 2008
Vontae Davis 24 RCB 10 10 Miami Dolphins / 1st / 25th pick / 2009
Coby Fleener 24 TE 12 10 Indianapolis Colts / 2nd / 34th pick / 2012
Jeff Linkenbach 25 LG 16 8
Fili Moala 27 RDE 8 8 Indianapolis Colts / 2nd / 56th pick / 2009
Jerraud Powers 25 RCB 8 8 Indianapolis Colts / 3rd / 92nd pick / 2009
Joe Reitz 27 LG 9 8
Jerry Hughes 24 lolb 16 6 Indianapolis Colts / 1st / 31st pick / 2010
Ricardo Mathews 25 rde 16 5 Indianapolis Colts / 7th / 238th pick / 2010
A.Q. Shipley 26 c 14 5 Pittsburgh Steelers / 7th / 226th pick / 2009

This was the dudes on their roster who started more than 5 games. It is pretty bad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you think he’s overrated on this board, just see what the media thinks about him.

I actually think the media has been pretty even-keeled about him. PFF had him rated low — everyone else has him as a guy who was good as a rookie on a bad team and expecting him to make The Leap in his second season with better personnel.

The Athletic's survey had him ranked 14th or 15th and among the 3rd tier of QBs. I think there's a lot of assumed improvement baked in to these rankings — similar to how people projected Baker Mayfield to take a big step in his second season and it didn't really end up happening.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I just saw Josh Allen made it. Either this list is a testimonial to how bad the talent is in the league or the criteria is, if you play QB, you’re pretty much on the list.

Murray and Allen both had mediocre years, at best. Is Daniel Jones on the list?

As for Kyler setting rookie records, it’s a shallow pool. Most rookie QBs don’t start from day 1. Add to that He was with an offense built completely around him that he has run since high school.

I’m not bashing him at all. He, to me, wasn’t a top 100 player in the league last year. I expect him to be this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I just saw Garrapollo was ranked like 43rd.

Okay, this list is meaningless.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think the media has been pretty even-keeled about him. PFF had him rated low — everyone else has him as a guy who was good as a rookie on a bad team and expecting him to make The Leap in his second season with better personnel.

The Athletic's survey had him ranked 14th or 15th and among the 3rd tier of QBs. I think there's a lot of assumed improvement baked in to these rankings — similar to how people projected Baker Mayfield to take a big step in his second season and it didn't really end up happening.

No it's the opposite. Multiple Coordinators refuse to rank tier 1 or 2 to any second year QB. Several give automatic 4s.

It's why his was the third highest 2nd year ranking of all time.

But its just NFL offensive and defensive coordinators. What do they know?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very few quarterbacks coming off their rookie seasons have polled as well as Murray polled this year. Coaches and evaluators tend to use the fourth tier liberally for players with short track records. That contributed to artificially low ratings for Mahomes and Jackson entering their second seasons. Unlike those two, Murray started all 16 games as a rookie. Reviews were favorable.

“His movement and escapability drives defenses crazy and he throws the ball deep extremely well,” an offensive coordinator said

Murray is one of 17 quarterbacks drafted since 2013 to appear in Quarterback Tiers coming off their rookie seasons. Of those, only Prescott (2.52) and Baker Mayfield (2.53) polled higher than the 2.68 average for Murray this year. Murray, Prescott and Mayfield all ranked 14th at this stage.

“I like him because he is competitive, he is super accurate, he can run,” another offensive coordinator said. “The only problem for me, and I know this doesn’t skew into your quarterback evaluation, is that he is good when he runs the football, but when he does that too much, he can’t last.”

A defensive coordinator thought Murray would become more difficult to defend if he increased his willingness to take a few hits running the ball. Of course, that defensive coordinator would surely love for his linebackers and safeties to get in a few hard shots on the NFL’s smallest starting quarterback. Multiple defensive coaches used the phrase “pain in the ass” to describe what they thought Murray would become. There were some comparisons to Wilson, although the general feel was that Murray would always be the better runner, Wilson the better passer.

“I think the kid is going to be really good,” a defensive coach said. “He knows when to run, he knows when to pass, he does not turn the ball over much and that little joker can throw. They are going to be better. I’m not ready to give the kid Tier 2 yet, but I think he is a legitimate starter and he will jump fast.”

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No it's the opposite. Multiple Coordinators refuse to rank tier 1 or 2 to any second year QB. Several give automatic 4s.

It's why his was the third highest 2nd year ranking of all time.

But its just NFL offensive and defensive coordinators. What do they know?

So in like 3 years?

EDIT: Just to remind you of the population of QBs drafted after 2013 who started meaningful time as rookies:

Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Carson Wentz
Trubisky
Deshaun Watson (coming off a serious knee injury)
Dak Prescott
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

He's behind Baker and Dak. The only surprising/impressive name on that list that he's ahead of would be Watson, and he was coming off a brutal non-contact knee injury.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! 5 Cardinals made the top 100 this year and that didn't include PP. (Baker, Murray, Fitz, Jones, Hopkins)

This is the 10th year of players voting on the top 100 players. Larry Fitzgerald is one of 4 players to make the list every year since it began in 2011!

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/larry-fitzgerald-nfl-top-100-list-tenth-straight-year#:~:text=Since the dawn of the,made the cut every time.&text=He did not drop a,to let everyone know that.

The only other players to do that are all QBs (Brady, Brees, Rogers)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Wow! 5 Cardinals made the top 100 this year and that didn't include PP. (Baker, Murray, Fitz, Jones, Hopkins)

This is the 10th year of players voting on the top 100 players. Larry Fitzgerald is one of 4 players to make the list every year since it began in 2011!

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/larry-fitzgerald-nfl-top-100-list-tenth-straight-year#:~:text=Since the dawn of the,made the cut every time.&text=He did not drop a,to let everyone know that.

Patrick isn't going to be happy...which is good for us.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about this nugget:

While the Cardinals had 5 players voted to the top 100 by their peers, the following teams had ZERO players voted in (Bengals, Dolphins, Jaguars, Lions, Jets or Washington Football Teamers)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This team has a ton of talent. I really believe anything less than 8 wins is a disappointment

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He either will...and we will benefit for the improved play...or he won't...and his price if we want to retain him will decrease and we will benefit from that. Win win.
Regardless of his price, how is retaining a guy getting burnt by bottom of the list WRs a benefit?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just 3 important ones. QB, Pass Rusher, & CB. PP will prove you wrong.

I think we'll learn a lot about PP this year. I think he's a proud guy, and will take it personally that he's no longer top 100. I expect him to rebound, just not sure the bounceback will ever bring him back to what he once was.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we'll learn a lot about PP this year. I think he's a proud guy, and will take it personally that he's no longer top 100. I expect him to rebound, just not sure the bounceback will ever bring him back to what he once was.

I also expect the whole secondary to be better with the pass rushers we have added in the off season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sadly, I think HC is one of those spots lacking.

I think thats fair. Or at least it's fair to not be totally convinced.

There were a lot of games where Kliff didn't have a grip of the game.

I'm not interested in the idea that Vance is the "HC of the defense". That goes against everything Keim and Vance himself has said. This year Kliff needs to get a grip on all aspects of both sides of the ball.

Right now he's a very good OC, not so much a HC.

But he's obviously smart and extremely hard working. I have high hopes for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard