Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone breaks'

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a terrible idea. But 20 minutes sounds like a really bad choice.

Agreed... If folks can’t go in meetings/classes etc for an hour withou a phone they got issues lol

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow.. The old men are coming out.

Instead of calling kids soft, maybe you should look at the audience. Primarily a bunch of basicly kids that grew up with social media and loads of technology. Throw in that they have more money that they ever had in their life.

Good leadership is not to say fit or move out. The objective is to learn these kids to be professional about their career and sometimes you have to nudge them a bit on the way.

Agree. You have to adapt.

Once-upon-a-time a General could simply say, "take that hill!"

Now you have to give them the elevation, approximate number of trees, whether there are any endangered species and why it's important to take that hill.

Geez! We're dealing with a generation who take photos of their food!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
  • Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone break

• New Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury won't waste any time using his college coaching background to help him in the NFL.
  • Kingsbury said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that he'll implement "cellphone breaks" during team meetings. He did something similar while coach at Texas Tech but will adapt it for NFL players.
  • "They're itching to get to those things," he said.
  • Kingsbury will let the players break for their phones every 20 or 30 minutes -- what he called a "good run" -- right around the time he usually starts seeing players lose interest.
I'm not a fan of this. Too lax of a situation for me. Is he trying to be a players coach?

He almost won 50% of his games in college, show some respect to his methods!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why the hell is this news?? I could give a rats azz whether you allow players to use cell phones, or do Bacardi 151 shots at halftime of games. What the hell do you intend to do to make this team better? This type of declaration irritates the crap out of me because it's just fluff, and the type of nonsense you'd typically expect from a young buck coach. Whatever my man. SMH

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I figure I get about 45 minutes of productive time an hour for work for my employees. I have no problem with being hyper focused for short periods and then let the mind wander

Rest is important for retention and the creative process. No doubt.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wow.. The old men are coming out.

Instead of calling kids soft, maybe you should look at the audience. Primarily a bunch of basicly kids that grew up with social media and loads of technology. Throw in that they have more money that they ever had in their life.

Good leadership is not to say fit or move out. The objective is to learn these kids to be professional about their career and sometimes you have to nudge them a bit on the way.
I repeat.... Soft.

Melting marshmallows trained not to overcome obstacles. But instead trained to expect that things will be handed to them if they whine loud enough and long enough.

The world is a jungle. Not a bounce house.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim always says the hardest thing to figure out is where the heart and the mind is at. This could possibly be the best test for that anybody's come up with to date.

So you have a room full of rookies and bubble guys. Then it's break time and you see how many run to play with thier phone - and how many stay focused on their material. Talk albout the ultimate social experiment.

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
I am 63 years old and I wanted to say that I don't think this is a good idea. I think it's a Great idea! Little things can go along way in a players mindset! Getting players on your side by doing small things like this can pay huge dividends!!! Anyone remember how cool it was when Artie Moreno became the owner of the Angels and the first thing he did was to lower beer prices. He won over the fans immediately with that small gesture! I think this is a great, brilliant move by Coach Kingsbury!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Look to the parents. Kids today are soft

I see this on the high school level right now too and witness kids doing things which if I did that behavior in athletics, the coaches would make me wish I would never act with such lax actions again. I recently say a kid at the track practicing hurdles while I was getting my running in on the outside lane. The kid runs a disinterested one jump over a hurdle, a sloppy half ass jump over the hurdle without following through, and then does a fake stumbling routine, falls down on the infield of football grass, stays on the grass momentarily, then slowly with a air of 'oh well' then asks the coach with a lazy 'matter of fact' attitude what he did wrong and the coach is there just acting like his buddy as if the kid's attitude was acceptable. If I ever dared to do that crap back in the day, the coach would chew my ass out and probably call my parents and say something is wrong with your boy. My running partner who played college football was running with me also was in disbelief at the attitude and then acceptance by the coach. It's progressive, and it carries on naturally to college and now the professional environment... I do not think KK doing this right but it's what society thinks is right and he has to adapt accordingly because that is how people relate today

Last edited:

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
My first thought would be that I don't think KK needs to do this. But my main thought is if we win this year, I don't care if they use their cell phones in the huddle during games.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I figure I get about 45 minutes of productive time an hour for work for my employees. I have no problem with being hyper focused for short periods and then let the mind wander

Agree, 45 minutes is the normal attention span for meetings, tours, etc. I think what KK is doing is smart.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing you aren't doing on a nap--I'm sorry, a cell phone break--is focusing on your job. This is a poor attempt to bribe players to concentrate. That's not a middle way; that's pampering. In the 50's, did they let players go out for a smoke break every 20 minutes? Eff no! It isn't about the technology or anything--it's about men (and women, but we're talking NFL players) unable to act like men, and being rewarded for it rather than remolded.
In the 50s I'm pretty sure they would have been able to smoke whilst listening to the coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
One thing you aren't doing on a nap--I'm sorry, a cell phone break--is focusing on your job. This is a poor attempt to bribe players to concentrate. That's not a middle way; that's pampering. In the 50's, did they let players go out for a smoke break every 20 minutes? Eff no! It isn't about the technology or anything--it's about men (and women, but we're talking NFL players) unable to act like men, and being rewarded for it rather than remolded.
Apparently you’re outta touch with today’s youth. This is actually something similar to what we are exploring in a professional workplace. Who cares how you get the behavior and output you desire if you get it. Some old school professionalism will always be valid, but failing to adapt to new cultural norms that have become ingrained in future generations and best leverage that is just obtuse and archaic. Adapt or be left behind . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I repeat.... Soft.

Melting marshmallows trained not to overcome obstacles. But instead trained to expect that things will be handed to them if they whine loud enough and long enough.

The world is a jungle. Not a bounce house.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
lol at “soft.” This has ZERO to do with physical or mental toughness. This concept is apparently so far over your head that some of you are attacking the wrong traits! Funny stuff.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. I’m 50 (newly minted) and I think this is a good idea. I get the attention span thing.

I know right. I'm 45 and have no problem with it. It's the way things are these days. I think this will be really popular in the locker room. I'm not a KK fan but I kind of like this move.

Having sit in endless meetings that seem to go on forever, a periodic pause to break things up is a good thing IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard