Kinect

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pre ordered my copy today to give to my daughter on xmas, the games now look mostly like crap but I am stoked about the future potential of this machine. Anyone else getting it?

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Damn, that game looks cool as hell. You can have fun and a workout at the same time. I might just have to get that game.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the people at gamespot tryed selling things based on that - the workout - but really, if your main workout comes from a video game, your not going to be in great shape.

Personally, i want to relax when I game, I do enough active stuff already.

The fighting games looks fun for a few days, I expect the whole first year of titles to be gimmicky crap like that.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cool idea, 4 years too late. Every Kinect and Sony Move game is a copy of something on the Wii.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the people at gamespot tryed selling things based on that - the workout - but really, if your main workout comes from a video game, your not going to be in great shape.

Personally, i want to relax when I game, I do enough active stuff already.

The fighting games looks fun for a few days, I expect the whole first year of titles to be gimmicky crap like that.

What I meant was it beats sitting on the couch just twitching your thumbs for an hour. You would definitely get some cardio in with that game.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool idea, 4 years too late. Every Kinect and Sony Move game is a copy of something on the Wii.

I think the Kinect will be better but beyond that, with Wii you buy the 250 console but then have to spend about 250 in addon crap just to have the full system. This is 150 flat and ready to rock. Prefer this much over Wii. Wii always had trouble regitering my movement (im 6'4) and I noticed now you can spend $40 more and get "extra motion sensitivity"

Nintendo nickel and dimes you just like EA, I am glad xbox jumped on board.

Plus, Wii graphix suck, the online sucks, its nintendo. I expect these to do well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preordered this a while ago, with a bunch of games.

Sony Move is a DIRECT wii ripoff, but this is so much more than Wii. And it's just scratching the surface.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Kinect will be better but beyond that, with Wii you buy the 250 console but then have to spend about 250 in addon crap just to have the full system. This is 150 flat and ready to rock. Prefer this much over Wii. Wii always had trouble regitering my movement (im 6'4) and I noticed now you can spend $40 more and get "extra motion sensitivity"

Nintendo nickel and dimes you just like EA, I am glad xbox jumped on board.

Plus, Wii graphix suck, the online sucks, its nintendo. I expect these to do well.

Huh? Kinect is $150 + 299 for the console. Or you get Kinect and the console for $399. Or you can get the 4Gb console with Kinect (4Gb is real small in Xboxland) for $299. And the game it comes with is Kinect Sports... no Nintendo did nothing like that.

Your point, what was it?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people already have the console but lets go ahead and break it down.

For the Wii you need 4 controllers in most cases.

The Wii was 250 and came with a controller / nunchuc combo.

Well, we need 3 more controllers. The controllers are 40 each and the chucks are 30 each. Thats another $210. Want extra motion sensitivity? For another 30 bucks per controller you get that and add the thing to thwe controllers.

So just for controllers and a console, I have now spent $460, if I got the extra sensitivity things $550.

so "my point" This thing will be cheaper than buying a wii and all accessories, especially since most people already own a 360.

This has voice recognition, plays in HD, actually works online and is better in every single way.

Ive owned a Wii, it was fun for a few weeks, my daughter always loved it. Ill get bored with connect she will still love it.

Same concept, same stuff, better everything.

Last edited:

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score

Kinect, at least the technology and its capabilities, is far superior to the Wii's motion sensor in every way you look at(and Sony's for that matter). Kinect will make the Wii look like Atari 2600. Ok maybe not that drastic. The Wii was interesting for a about 2 months. Mine just collects dust now.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinect, at least the technology and its capabilities, is far superior to the Wii's motion sensor in every way you look at(and Sony's for that matter). Kinect will make the Wii look like Atari 2600. Ok maybe not that drastic. The Wii was interesting for a about 2 months. Mine just collects dust now.

Kinect will be an awesome version of the same thing. All motion controls are gimmicky get tired of it in a few months things. The only people permanently into them will be old folks and girls.

But, I agree, Kinect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinect will be an awesome version of the same thing. All motion controls are gimmicky get tired of it in a few months things. The only people permanently into them will be old folks and girls.

But, I agree, Kinect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii

That is EXACTLY how I see it as well. All motion controls are gimmicky but there is potential. I don't think developers have found the correct balance. I personally think the perfect model is a hybrid. So far nobody has gotten that right.

Wii - 99% of Wii titles turn into a waggle fest.

Sony - They have the right idea including buttons on their motion controller but it remains to be seen if they will have the same issues as the Wii.

Microsoft - Kinect, it's a more interesting concept using no controller but I think that will only appeal to non hardcore gamers. Microsoft recently revealed that their are games in development that will use a combination of the standard controller and Kinect together. There is a TON of potential there. Add the ability to control the XBOX 360 dashboard without a controller and I am a bit more excited about this solution then the others. I just might not have much in the initial launch for me.

My kids on the other hand can't wait to play a few Kinect games.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's out today. We picked one up. Not connected yet.....stay tuned.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. It's pretty cool. Definitely not for hard core gamers right now but great family fun. We have only played Adventures but it's pretty accurate and fun. It's definitely geared right now towards family fun games. We did buy a couple others. I will say for me the voice recognition and hand gestures for menus is pretty dang cool. Reminds me of minority report. Also, the automatic recognition of each of your family members is really cool as well.

So far no major complaints. Do have to warn people that you need about 6 go 8 feet from the Kinect or you might get some uneven performance. Overall I would say it's pretty cool with a ton of potential. From what I understand they are working incorporting things like Netflix (already have a working beta I read) and some other features.

The thing that has me most excited is that I also read an interview that there are several 3rd party publishers at work. In addition, one unamed publisher claims to have the Kinect working with a FPS and controller combination.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Daren, I appreciate the feedback. This is getting rave reviews from gaming sites on how well it works.

I preordered it as the family's santa present this year.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have it also but I cant open it unless my kids arent gonna be home for the night (its from santa) (im going nuts).

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
OK. It's pretty cool. Definitely not for hard core gamers right now but great family fun. We have only played Adventures but it's pretty accurate and fun. It's definitely geared right now towards family fun games. We did buy a couple others. I will say for me the voice recognition and hand gestures for menus is pretty dang cool. Reminds me of minority report. Also, the automatic recognition of each of your family members is really cool as well.

So far no major complaints. Do have to warn people that you need about 6 go 8 feet from the Kinect or you might get some uneven performance. Overall I would say it's pretty cool with a ton of potential. From what I understand they are working incorporting things like Netflix (already have a working beta I read) and some other features.

The thing that has me most excited is that I also read an interview that there are several 3rd party publishers at work. In addition, one unamed publisher claims to have the Kinect working with a FPS and controller combination.

Awesome. Thanks for the review. I am going to try to pick one up next week.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kids are gone tonight, time to bust it out if i dont go out

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a followup. The only thing that is an occasional issue is that when my daughter uses it, my avatar sometimes shows up. We look alot alike so I wonder if that is an issue. I am playing with calibration today so I think that will solve it. Also, you can run the ID calibration several times which it's suppose to help it further refine the ID process.

Again, it's not perfect by any stretch but what has me impressed is that it's this good for what is basically generation one of the code that runs the thing. They have some work to do and I read that they are already hard at work with code updates etc. to make it more accurate but I guess I expected it to be alot more glitchy. Knowing that it will get even better has me encouraged.

Now if they can figure out away to let me use this during FPS I will be in heaven.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you set up the Kinect id? I couldnt find it anywhere?

Kinect is great fun, Adventures takes pictures of you mid game so you can see how stupid you looked which is fun. The game selection and other things are weak for now but I could see a lot in the future for this little toy. Glad I picked it up.

Now to get to xmas so it can be on the tv every day instead of the days my daughter is not home!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you set up the Kinect id? I couldnt find it anywhere?

Kinect is great fun, Adventures takes pictures of you mid game so you can see how stupid you looked which is fun. The game selection and other things are weak for now but I could see a lot in the future for this little toy. Glad I picked it up.

Now to get to xmas so it can be on the tv every day instead of the days my daughter is not home!

Did you update the XBOX? I have heard that the box doesn't appear if you have not updated it. It's called Kinect ID. Also, the thing to keep in mind is the more times you calibrate the better it will recognize you. Kinect actually stores each calibration versus overwrites it. Try one at morning, late afternoon and night. It will help the Kinect recognize you in any light.

Also, you should try and recalibrate the KINECT using the CARD with eyes as well.

P.S. My problem above was resolved. I had the sensor 4 ft from the ground as instructed but my daughter was still having issues. I moved it to above the TV and it resolved the issue.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xbox updated, never saw a kinect ID. Just logged me into my name every time and went with it. played a bunch of games. No idea.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xbox updated, never saw a kinect ID. Just logged me into my name every time and went with it. played a bunch of games. No idea.

I am assuming you loaded the disc with it too. So...when you "waive" and it activates the Kinect HUB, you will see the different "tiles" for the different things you can select. You should also see two arrows on each sides of those tiles. Those arrows allow you to "swipe" to the next set of tiles. The arrow on the left is the one you want. It will take you to the next set of Hub tiles that has options like Kinect Tuner, Kinect ID, Achievements, Avatar Editor etc. It should be there.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried hitting those things and it just sat there and didnt go to a new page. I will try it out next time I get to plug it in and play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard