Just So I Don’t Get Accused

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

later of second guessing, I’ll say it now. I think the Cards are making a mistake not using the preseason to get Murray reps in the new offense against real defenses. First even if things break right I really don’t see this team competing for a playoff spot. Second it’s not just Murray that would benefit from those reps. With a mostly new receiving corps primarily composed of rookies and second year players this team needs to know who can be counted upon to contribute’s. They also need to focus on Murray’s strengths and weaknesses. Can he read defenses? Does he understand how must faster and more capable NFL defenders are? We’ll hopefully see tonight how he fares throwing up the middle or throwing deep.

By next year the Cards hopefully can contend. This year should be used to hone the offense and next year to strengthen the line. I’d limit the RPOs until they’re ready to win, but seeing what Murray can do against various defensive formations should enable them to more effectively and safely use RPOs next season. Getting the timing down with the receivers can only happen in real situations, not practice. We recently saw what happened to a veteran QB, Palmer, when he was not able to polish his timing in preseason. Do you really want to throw to your best routes when you’ve only done that against the same CBs over and over. Reports from camp indicate Murray has thrown interceptions when he and the receivers were not on the same page. Do you really want him to throw those against a defense he made have misread? Receivers can sometimes bail him out if they are in the best position to do so.

I just think the Cards and their host of young players would benefit more from the reps they’d get than trying to fool the opposition. Just a quick aside, even if you think this offense could break out, do you really think this defense could enable this team to compete for a playoff spot? This year should be about building the offense.

lobo, Dante, Buckybird and 6 others like this.
  2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I imagine the plays we saw last week are the base install plays of the system. I dont expect them to show their cards beyond the base of the offense and not sure how doing so would put them in a better position come week 1. its not like they ran single back, under center snaps or something.

3. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

His reps are in the real offense. It is only dumbed down a little so that they aren't giving everything away. Also defenses are playing vanilla schemes and thus I wouldn't say these reps are exactly against a real defense anyways.

CardNots and Vacard like this.
  4. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

We agree!

BullheadCardFan likes this.
  5. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

See ball, fall on ball. See dude, hit dude. Don't get too cute. Just win games. Everything else will take care of itself.

6. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Yeah. I don't know if there's a ton of added value between the 10 extra reps you're wanting him to get vs. the potential for injury or whatever. The benefit of the air raid is that it's so easy to learn that high schoolers and college freshmen can learn it in a spring and execute it fully in the first weeks of fall.

Everyone's getting dozens of reps that we're not seeing in camp and practice — orders of magnitude more than we could get in the preseason.

If you don't think the Cards can or will win 10 games, it's really more of an argument to NOT expose him or the offense in the preseason. If the cards run 75 offensive snaps a game (David Johnson has said the plan is to run 100, but no one has ever run more than 80), he's going to get more learning in with the 1,200 live action snaps than he would from an extra 20-40 in the first three preseason games.

This is concern-trolling at its finest.

7. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

We’ll know when they play their season opener if I’m right.

8. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

Pre-season is what it is. It gets the team's feat wet, nothing more. This is why the score is irrelevant. IMO the only time the score matters in games 2 & 3 is by halftime. After that, it's an open audition for the players in the game. Remember how everyone fell in love with Max Hall in the pre-season?

dscher likes this.
  9. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

Week 1 all 7 snaps in shotgun. Still don't know if he can peek over the line of scrimmage under center.

10. Cuozzo

Cuozzo Is it weird that I wanna do it even more now?

CAP CAPI

NJCardFan likes this.
  11. BigRedRage

according to reports, we will be a primary shotgun team anyway.

12. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

Fo
    Forgot about him. This board was agog over Capi.

13. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I said in on another post that I think it would be good to run 4 to 6 plays just to do it. Let kyler change a play or two at the line.

I don’t think showing your entire offense is the answer. I do want to see a couple of longer shots over the middle of the defense calls for it.

14. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Dangerous Murray Zealot

I mean Harry, if we thought the Cardinals actually had a chance to win anything this year, then maybe I would agree with you.

But we have no chance to make the playoffs, so a few extra reps the preseason really won't matter sir, and I'd rather not tempt fate.

CardNots and Garthshort like this.
  15. BigRedRage

I do not have the downer expectations that you do and I still see no reason to "open it up" in the preseason. No team does that, why would it benefit us to do so?