Just So I Don’t Get Accused

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
later of second guessing, I’ll say it now. I think the Cards are making a mistake not using the preseason to get Murray reps in the new offense against real defenses. First even if things break right I really don’t see this team competing for a playoff spot. Second it’s not just Murray that would benefit from those reps. With a mostly new receiving corps primarily composed of rookies and second year players this team needs to know who can be counted upon to contribute’s. They also need to focus on Murray’s strengths and weaknesses. Can he read defenses? Does he understand how must faster and more capable NFL defenders are? We’ll hopefully see tonight how he fares throwing up the middle or throwing deep.

By next year the Cards hopefully can contend. This year should be used to hone the offense and next year to strengthen the line. I’d limit the RPOs until they’re ready to win, but seeing what Murray can do against various defensive formations should enable them to more effectively and safely use RPOs next season. Getting the timing down with the receivers can only happen in real situations, not practice. We recently saw what happened to a veteran QB, Palmer, when he was not able to polish his timing in preseason. Do you really want to throw to your best routes when you’ve only done that against the same CBs over and over. Reports from camp indicate Murray has thrown interceptions when he and the receivers were not on the same page. Do you really want him to throw those against a defense he made have misread? Receivers can sometimes bail him out if they are in the best position to do so.

I just think the Cards and their host of young players would benefit more from the reps they’d get than trying to fool the opposition. Just a quick aside, even if you think this offense could break out, do you really think this defense could enable this team to compete for a playoff spot? This year should be about building the offense.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine the plays we saw last week are the base install plays of the system. I dont expect them to show their cards beyond the base of the offense and not sure how doing so would put them in a better position come week 1. its not like they ran single back, under center snaps or something.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
His reps are in the real offense. It is only dumbed down a little so that they aren't giving everything away. Also defenses are playing vanilla schemes and thus I wouldn't say these reps are exactly against a real defense anyways.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See ball, fall on ball. See dude, hit dude. Don't get too cute. Just win games. Everything else will take care of itself.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't know if there's a ton of added value between the 10 extra reps you're wanting him to get vs. the potential for injury or whatever. The benefit of the air raid is that it's so easy to learn that high schoolers and college freshmen can learn it in a spring and execute it fully in the first weeks of fall.

Everyone's getting dozens of reps that we're not seeing in camp and practice — orders of magnitude more than we could get in the preseason.

If you don't think the Cards can or will win 10 games, it's really more of an argument to NOT expose him or the offense in the preseason. If the cards run 75 offensive snaps a game (David Johnson has said the plan is to run 100, but no one has ever run more than 80), he's going to get more learning in with the 1,200 live action snaps than he would from an extra 20-40 in the first three preseason games.

This is concern-trolling at its finest.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We’ll know when they play their season opener if I’m right.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pre-season is what it is. It gets the team's feat wet, nothing more. This is why the score is irrelevant. IMO the only time the score matters in games 2 & 3 is by halftime. After that, it's an open audition for the players in the game. Remember how everyone fell in love with Max Hall in the pre-season?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Week 1 all 7 snaps in shotgun. Still don't know if he can peek over the line of scrimmage under center.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said in on another post that I think it would be good to run 4 to 6 plays just to do it. Let kyler change a play or two at the line.

I don’t think showing your entire offense is the answer. I do want to see a couple of longer shots over the middle of the defense calls for it.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I mean Harry, if we thought the Cardinals actually had a chance to win anything this year, then maybe I would agree with you.

But we have no chance to make the playoffs, so a few extra reps the preseason really won't matter sir, and I'd rather not tempt fate.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean Harry, if we thought the Cardinals actually had a chance to win anything this year, then maybe I would agree with you.

But we have no chance to make the playoffs, so a few extra reps the preseason really won't matter sir, and I'd rather not tempt fate.

I do not have the downer expectations that you do and I still see no reason to "open it up" in the preseason. No team does that, why would it benefit us to do so?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, I have to agree with Crimson Warrior. And while I do agree with your assumption that we won't make the playoffs this year, KM, and the rest of the team, will have all season to learn the offense. And the defense for that matter.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PreSeason games suck. It is a ripoff on season ticket holders like me. My only hope during preseason is the players avoid injury.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre-season is what it is. It gets the team's feat wet, nothing more. This is why the score is irrelevant. IMO the only time the score matters in games 2 & 3 is by halftime. After that, it's an open audition for the players in the game. Remember how everyone fell in love with Max Hall in the pre-season?

Max Hall played in junk time during the 2010 preseason. He only saw action against players who didn't even make a roster for the most part. During the preseason Hall was 4th string behind Leinart, Anderson, and Skelton.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Max Hall played in junk time during the 2010 preseason. He only saw action against players who didn't even make a roster for the most part. During the preseason Hall was 4th string behind Leinart, Anderson, and Skelton.
And yet ended up starting 3 games that season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Nostradamus :mrgreen:
later of second guessing, I’ll say it now. I think the Cards are making a mistake not using the preseason to get Murray reps in the new offense against real defenses. First even if things break right I really don’t see this team competing for a playoff spot. Second it’s not just Murray that would benefit from those reps. With a mostly new receiving corps primarily composed of rookies and second year players this team needs to know who can be counted upon to contribute’s. They also need to focus on Murray’s strengths and weaknesses. Can he read defenses? Does he understand how must faster and more capable NFL defenders are? We’ll hopefully see tonight how he fares throwing up the middle or throwing deep.

By next year the Cards hopefully can contend. This year should be used to hone the offense and next year to strengthen the line. I’d limit the RPOs until they’re ready to win, but seeing what Murray can do against various defensive formations should enable them to more effectively and safely use RPOs next season. Getting the timing down with the receivers can only happen in real situations, not practice. We recently saw what happened to a veteran QB, Palmer, when he was not able to polish his timing in preseason. Do you really want to throw to your best routes when you’ve only done that against the same CBs over and over. Reports from camp indicate Murray has thrown interceptions when he and the receivers were not on the same page. Do you really want him to throw those against a defense he made have misread? Receivers can sometimes bail him out if they are in the best position to do so.

I just think the Cards and their host of young players would benefit more from the reps they’d get than trying to fool the opposition. Just a quick aside, even if you think this offense could break out, do you really think this defense could enable this team to compete for a playoff spot? This year should be about building the offense.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Spoiler alert Harry, this team is not going to be good Week 1 we have glaring weaknesses at OL, LB & now CB. The only reason ARZ won last week and scored 26 points in a loss is because our 2nd and 3rd team offenses carried us. Our first team offense and defense are going to be outplayed every week in my opinion. I don't think we top our 3 wins last year but on the plus side we'll have a shot at our LTOF in Andrew Thomas or Walker Little or another QB if Murray doesn't last the whole year from the beating he is going to take.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose