Jurecki: G Colledge likely cap casualty

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
Hearing a lot abt Earl Watford competing at RG in the off-season/camp. Cooper at LG, Colledge likely will be cap casualty, could be June 1st.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the great shocker MJ stellar reporting from you as usual. lol

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Saves close to $5 million in 2014 cap space if designated a June 1st cut. Necessary to be in the Branden Albert sweepstakes IMO.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Saves close to $5 million in 2014 cap space if designated a June 1st cut. Necessary to be in the Branden Albert sweepstakes IMO.

I think the Cards would be crazy to pay Brandon Albert what he will want.He made almost 10 million last season. Cards are nuts to try and pay that kind of money IMHO.
Highest rated LTs
Eugene Monroe made 600,000 and might be Franchised
Anthony Collins (Bengals) made 2.2 million
Roger Saffold (Rams) made 1.5 million
Jared Veldheer (Raiders) made 1.6 million and was injured.

Anybody going on the market is going to what decent money and multiple years.If Cards can get a cheap veteran who is a upgrade why not.Otherwise don`t end up being unable to upgrade or keep other needs because of one position.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think the Cards would be crazy to pay Brandon Albert what he will want.He made almost 10 million last season. Cards are nuts to try and pay that kind of money IMHO.
Highest rated LTs

Anybody going on the market is going to what decent money and multiple years.If Cards can get a cheap veteran who is a upgrade why not.Otherwise don`t end up being unable to upgrade or keep other needs because of one position.

Monroe is first choice but I'm okay with Albert. If you want a quality LT, it's going to cost. Getting by on the cheap would be another year or the likes of Potter and Sowell out there.

I still think if the Cards had pulled the trigger on the Monroe trade, they'd have made the playoffs. This team is too close to try and get by on the cheap at an important position like LT.

If they're going to go on the cheap, I like the idea or Watford sliding in for Colledge much better. In fact, Cooper and Watford can easily be considered an upgrade over Colledge and Fanaika.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Highest rated LTs

Respectfully disagree! The Cardinals will never be able to be consistently competitive in the NFC West without a significant upgrade at left tackle. You can't block Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn and the bevy of Seattle pass rushers without it.

I just don't see the Cardinals being in position to draft an elite left tackle in the next couple years. They don't really have much choice but to bite the bullet and go after the other B.A.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Monroe is first choice but I'm okay with Albert. If you want a quality LT, it's going to cost. Getting by on the cheap would be another year or the likes of Potter and Sowell out there.

I still think if the Cards had pulled the trigger on the Monroe trade, they'd have made the playoffs. This team is too close to try and get by on the cheap at an important position like LT.

If they're going to go on the cheap, I like the idea or Watford sliding in for Colledge much better. In fact, Cooper and Watford can easily be considered an upgrade over Colledge and Fanaika.

what do you think the cost differential will be between Albert and a Monroe or a Collins?

Because Albert is a guy who has the ability to take a Aldon Smith out of the game one on one. Monroe and Collins? not so much. If you are going to pay big, at least get the best

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno....have a feeling Colledge will restructure....has been playing decent, provides leadership, and worse case scenario he is excellent depth behind Coop and Wat

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
what do you think the cost differential will be between Albert and a Monroe or a Collins?

Because Albert is a guy who has the ability to take a Aldon Smith out of the game one on one. Monroe and Collins? not so much. If you are going to pay big, at least get the best

Fine so you pay Albert 8-10 million a year and that means you cut other money to pay him.So no Dansby and who else gets the axe to get more cap money to overpay for a top LT,Stupid move IMO.You don`t weaken yourself at several spots to fix one problem spot.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Fine so you pay Albert 8-10 million a year and that means you cut other money to pay him.So no Dansby and who else gets the axe to get more cap money to overpay for a top LT,Stupid move IMO.You don`t weaken yourself at several spots to fix one problem spot.

so we should have kept scud at QB then??

we paid for our QB,....so we should pay well for the guy who will keep him on the field. Blindside hits can end a QB pretty quickly.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score

We can absolutely re-sign Dansby and sign Albert. I won't go into long detail about why that is very possible like I have in past posts.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Dign Ding Ding

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Only after June 1. Until that date, the Cards have to carry his entire release number on their cap. Then they get to spread it out.

Might essentially clear out the space for signing the rookie class.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The NFL changed the June 1st rule several years ago.

You can now "designate a player as a June 1st cut" and cut them right away.

Yes, but you have to account for his current contract until after June 1. Duh.

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

I think where many people get confused, though, is when they hear that “player x” could be designated a June 1 cut and immediately jump to conclusions that it means a spending spree in March. The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. It’s the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year. The issue though is the mechanism by which this works.

When you designate someone as a June 1 cut the player and his current contract remain on the books until June 1. Going back to the Breaston example has he been designated a June 1 cut his cap charge today would not be $1 million with $2 million on the books in 2014. His cap charge would be $5 million dollars, the same cap charge as if they never cut him at all. When June 1st hits his cap then moves down to $1 million and the other $2 million accelerate into the 2014 season. By that point in time free agency is finished and the extra cap room does not do the team much good. They would have been in a far better cap position during the important time of free agency by releasing Breaston outright as the Chiefs did.

The real purpose of the June 1 designation option is to benefit teams that have poor salary cap situations and need to either create space for rookie signings over the summer months or to cut players from the roster whose dead money charges are greater than their charge to remain on the team.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I think Monroe is better than Albert and can handle Aldon Smith just as easily as Albert, maybe easier. I guess easy isn't the right word but you know what I mean.

Collins, I'm not so sure of. He had a very nice year and shut down some of the best pss rushers in the game. BUt I didn't watch, or pay attention, enough to know how much help, if any, he was receiving.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Only after June 1. Until that date, the Cards have to carry his entire release number on their cap. Then they get to spread it out.

Might essentially clear out the space for signing the rookie class.

Thanks for the clarification! It would also allow for very late FA signings such a John Abraham or an Eric Winston, if someone like that lingered on the market and fit a need.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed.

I am on the fence about paying big money in free agency, but LT is so important for this team right now, that I am warming up to the idea.

As for money, I disagree with the idea that finding the money would really hurt this team.

Who are you going to lose of impact ? Why would it cost us Dansby ?

Players who the Cardinals can cut and gain cap space:

Daryn Colledge
Jasper Brinkley
Sam Acho
Lyle Sendlein
Jerraud Powers
Drew Stanton
Rashad Johnson
Ryan Williams
Rob Housler
Lorenzo Alexander

That is 15 million right there in cuttable players to produce money. None of them, in my humble opinion, are going to make or break a team.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think Monroe is better than Albert and can handle Aldon Smith just as easily as Albert, maybe easier. I guess easy isn't the right word but you know what I mean.

Collins, I'm not so sure of. He had a very nice year and shut down some of the best pss rushers in the game. BUt I didn't watch, or pay attention, enough to know how much help, if any, he was receiving.

Monroe may want more money than Albert.

The rotoworld has it that he is looking for BIG, BIG money and considers himself a top 5 LT in the league.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This team needs a legitimate LT and FA is one of the best ways to shorten the learning curve when acquiring one.

In terms of cost, it's either a priority or not. Personally, I think we saw the best our current roster can be last year even if we re-signed all the players. My question is what additions make this team better? IMO, LT and TE are 1 and 2. Both positions see significant snaps and both positions were manned by players who played above their talent level.

By the way, I would rather acquire Albert and risk losing Dansby than not. Let's not forget Dansby isn't young and has a very short amount of time left in this league. Albert has 7 years and plays a more premium position. I would rather have Albert and Minter than Sowell and Dansby. That isn't to say there isn't any middle ground but it is limited.

Carson Palmer is the key to the Cardinals making the playoffs, and Carson is a playoff QB when he has a nice pocket to throw in. Albert does more tohelp that than Dansby.

Reaction score
This team needs a legitimate LT and FA is one of the best ways to shorten the learning curve when acquiring one.

In terms of cost, it's either a priority or not. Personally, I think we saw the best our current roster can be last year even if we re-signed all the players. My question is what additions make this team better? IMO, LT and TE are 1 and 2. Both positions see significant snaps and both positions were manned by players who played above their talent level.

By the way, I would rather acquire Albert and risk losing Dansby than not. Let's not forget Dansby isn't young and has a very short amount of time left in this league. Albert has 7 years and plays a more premium position. I would rather have Albert and Minter than Sowell and Dansby. That isn't to say there isn't any middle ground but it is limited.

Carson Palmer is the key to the Cardinals making the playoffs, and Carson is a playoff QB when he has a nice pocket to throw in. Albert does more tohelp that than Dansby.

Completely agree with this post.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Nice post, totally agree with this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard