good money management.

Eric Winston and Gaither are still avail at the T position. Both are upgrades

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
good money management.

Eric Winston and Gaither are still avail at the T position. Both are upgrades

Neither are upgrades. Eric Winston is a poor system fit, and we already have a right tackle who could be pretty good for very little money. Jared Gaither is human garbage who soured an entire locker room. There's a reason that no team in the NFL wants a part of that guy.

I was a huge Jared Gaither supporter since he came out in the supplemental draft, but there's something wrong with this kid.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still don't understand cutting Rhodes under these circumstances.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
still don't understand cutting Rhodes under these circumstances.[/QUOTE
I do. But I don't understand why we didn't try to resign him for a reasonable contract. they must be high on Rashard Johnson... scarey.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
still don't understand cutting Rhodes under these circumstances.

Or Wilson for that matter.

What's done is done.

11 million is a good chunk. I would say use it to extend someone's contract, but at this point, I am not sure who would warrant it, unless you lock up Patrick Peterson now even though he has 2 years left.

Last edited:

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
still don't understand cutting Rhodes under these circumstances.[/QUOTE
I do. But I don't understand why we didn't try to resign him for a reasonable contract. they must be high on Rashard Johnson... scarey.

It's been said time and time again from Cardinals news sources (Somers, Jurecki, even Urban) that they offered to extend Rhodes and Rhodes kept saying he wasn't interested.

Now, could he be interested closer to football season, sure.. I could see that. But he may not want to play in Arizona anymore at all.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm fine moving on from some aging vets at this point.

The new coordinator Bowels has his fits even though Yeremiah Bell is an old vet himself, but a good fit for him. R. Johnson has some deep cover ability and I guess that made Kerry Rhodes expendable at FS. I think Bowels wants someone to just stay at home back there mainly.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is John Abraham still available? Maybe Woodson if not looking to bring back Rhodes, or just hold onto the money and use it next year.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If Roberts has a solid year I would like to see him extended.

Also if Mendenhal plays well and stays healthy he could get a longer deal.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about this. We've got a roster noticeably improved from last season (Safety is the only one I think we slipped on. Otherwise we're the same or better at every spot on the field, much better at QB and RB, which will make a big difference. IMO of course) AND a good chunk of space should we decide on any last minute pricey FAs, trades or extensions throughout the season. Would still like to see Rhodes back. And Peterson extended ASAP. The overall situation of this team has REALLY improved. From coaching (especially amount of coaches to teach these guys) to impact players, to overall roster, to cap flexibility. Everywhere. Just patiently waiting to have my hopes dashed in the fall. But for now, when there's no games, and every team is 0-0, the Cards are the best team in football;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Or Wilson for that matter.

What's done is done.

11 million is a good chunk. I would say use it to extend someone's contract, but at this point, I am not sure who would warrant it, unless you lock up Patrick Peterson now even though he has 2 years left.

Still makes no sense, I'd be feeling much better with those two in the mix. (really Rhodes alone would be great)

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about this. We've got a roster noticeably improved from last season (Safety is the only one I think we slipped on. Otherwise we're the same or better at every spot on the field, much better at QB and RB, which will make a big difference. IMO of course) AND a good chunk of space should we decide on any last minute pricey FAs, trades or extensions throughout the season.

Agree, this is the first time I can remember the Cards being very proactive in the off season and still have money under the cap to tinker with.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My post June 1st shopping list:
1. A WR (especially with Swope's injury concerns).
2. A safety (still have a concern with Mathieu). I expect Tyrann to remain drug free, but don't see him as ready to step in at a position he hasn't played before. Down the road, yes, now not sure. Now if he and Tony Jefferson look good in TC, that opinion would change.
3. An OT. A veteran backup for insurance only.
4. TE (King a ?). My hope is that Tony Moeaki, or someone like him will be cut and thus available.
5. Someone mentioned John Abraham. As we know he's a 4-3 DE and we play a 3-4. However, we do rush four at times, but would he be happy as a siuational pass rusher?

I'm pretty confident the team will make some moves.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A further thought on a TE. This past draft was (reportedly) a good one for TE's. Hence there could be some good vets cut. JMO.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Below is an excerpt from AZ Cards official site. It's a good and interesting read and to me explains what we are seeing with player moves and the CAP. In regards to Rhodes; his cost didn't add up to his talent/position for how the new FO wants to mange the CAP.

Keim called the Cardinals’ cap situation “a work in progress,” but then again, it will never not be the way the team’s strategy lays it out. The constant meetings of the front office between some combination of Keim, Licht, Disner, Head Coach Bruce Arians, President Michael Bidwill and others include decisions with a long view attached.

“Anytime you are looking at the salary cap in a one-year view,” Disner said, “you’re going to be in trouble.”

The Cardinals, who are $7.8 million under the salary cap as of Tuesday according to the NFL Players Association, aren’t just taking money into account. Disner isn’t counting only dollars but using his background to adjust those price tags against ability and production before the team makes a choice to sign – or release – a player.

“We kind of look at it on a two-year and a three-year basis – here’s what we can spend from a cap standpoint, how we can manage it for sustained success and not have another year like this year where there was a bloodletting,” Disner said.

“We may be under the cap right now, but it’s not because we want to spend less money. We are under the cap so we can make moves in the future to build in the future.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...nagement/10ef162c-17ac-4850-8478-2ffedac088ff

Excited to see this team under Michael upgrading their philosophies and business practices.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I don't even know this team anymore! Thank god.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree, this is the first time I can remember the Cards being very proactive in the off season and still have money under the cap to tinker with.
and it's not just a little. For either. We got a LOT, and still have a lot left to play with. Most of our big name vets have some serious time left, then we have a couple big contracts that probably dont make it more than a couple years, freeing up even more $$$(Colledge and Palmer. I think Palmer is better at his spot than Colledge is at his. But I think 2014 is about the expectation from him. Where I think Colledge is gone after this year). This is the best shape this franchise has been in IMO. The SB team was the best team we had, but there were a lot of big names we were set up to lose. I don't think we lose any of the big names we have right now unless we want to (Washington comes to immediate thought)
My post June 1st shopping list:
1. A WR (especially with Swope's injury concerns).you think? Roberts looked great last year. Add Fitz into the mix, and if Floyd is nearly as good as his draft expectations, I think we will have a killer trio without even needing Swope for a snap
2. A safety (still have a concern with Mathieu). I expect Tyrann to remain drug free, but don't see him as ready to step in at a position he hasn't played before. Down the road, yes, now not sure. Now if he and Tony Jefferson look good in TC, that opinion would change. yup. Though I don't think it all falls on Mathieu. I don't expect any of them to come into a new team, with new coaches, and play to the best of their abilities. I think we slip at this spot if we get anybody else but Rhodes back
3. An OT. A veteran backup for insurance only.
4. TE (King a ?). My hope is that Tony Moeaki, or someone like him will be cut and thus available. with you here
5. Someone mentioned John Abraham. As we know he's a 4-3 DE and we play a 3-4. However, we do rush four at times, but would he be happy as a siuational pass rusher? I'm more excited to see what Okafor brings. He was rated much higher than where we took him

I'm pretty confident the team will make some moves.
I'd almost prefer to see no more personnel moves (unless we get Rhodes back), and see them tinker with some contracts to use the money we have in order to create better space when we could need it more. SF is winning this division. They went to the SB last year, and have only improved since. SEA is also better than us currently. But, I think with this exact same roster, we're much better next season once they've played together and in the system for a while. If we can free up even more $ in the future, and let these core guys learn their team and their system for now. We can add a few more pieces, extend a couple, next year. And be scary for a good stretch

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Lets see...11 million under the cap and the fourth-best team in our four-team division.

Same old Cardinals.

No season tickets, this year; I will watch it on TV, that way I can turn it off when they start stinking it up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Restructure Fitz again bumping up his salary this year. More room for PP in 2014.

This would be a good idea. Roberts also could be inline for an extension. I would do it now rather than after he blows up in Arians system.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Below is an excerpt from AZ Cards official site. It's a good and interesting read and to me explains what we are seeing with player moves and the CAP. In regards to Rhodes; his cost didn't add up to his talent/position for how the new FO wants to mange the CAP.

Keim called the Cardinals’ cap situation “a work in progress,” but then again, it will never not be the way the team’s strategy lays it out. The constant meetings of the front office between some combination of Keim, Licht, Disner, Head Coach Bruce Arians, President Michael Bidwill and others include decisions with a long view attached.

“Anytime you are looking at the salary cap in a one-year view,” Disner said, “you’re going to be in trouble.”

The Cardinals, who are $7.8 million under the salary cap as of Tuesday according to the NFL Players Association, aren’t just taking money into account. Disner isn’t counting only dollars but using his background to adjust those price tags against ability and production before the team makes a choice to sign – or release – a player.

“We kind of look at it on a two-year and a three-year basis – here’s what we can spend from a cap standpoint, how we can manage it for sustained success and not have another year like this year where there was a bloodletting,” Disner said.

“We may be under the cap right now, but it’s not because we want to spend less money. We are under the cap so we can make moves in the future to build in the future.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...nagement/10ef162c-17ac-4850-8478-2ffedac088ff

Excited to see this team under Michael upgrading their philosophies and business practices.

This is the way I see the Card's off-season cake being built this year.

1. First they reworked the entire Front Office, naming Keim as GM, and elevating Licht into the structure. Then they brought in Disner to work the cap. This created a very solid base.

2. The second layer consists of the rebuilt Coaching Staff, with the plethora of teachers and scheme makers available to work with a 90 man roster.

3. The third layer was the trip through free agency, which, (while creating a hole at safety), clearly improved multiple areas of the roster, especially the corner backs.

4. Then came the draft, which directly aimed at improving the O-line, and adding key pieces to ILB, S, OLB, WR, RB, and TE. This is layer 4 of the cake.

5. The top layer consists of the additions of Palmer and Dansby. This makes an exceptionally sweet final piece to the cake itself.

6. Now, Disner has spread the icing on this cake-----the 11 plus million in cap space available to continue future development in any way the management team chooses. We can have sprinkles, shaved chocolate, whipped cream, or even ice cream to top this cake.

Have we improved as a team? Absolutely! Have we improved greatly? It's too early to tell just yet. BUT this can be stated. The foundation is there. Never in the history of this franchise, have so many changes been effected during one off-season, and especially to so many different areas of the franchise. Never has this franchise been so poised to be able to accomplish such heretofore unthinkable feats. Clearly this ownership, front office, coaching staff, and roster are of one mind, and that mind is on improvement, IN EVERY PHASE OF THE GAME. No detail is being overlooked, yet the plan has been activated while being cautious financially. While the immediate improvement would look to be grade 'B' or so, the ceiling that possibly can be attained is enormous in 24-36 months. I have never seen a Cardinal's roster so intent on accomplishing the bidding of its Head Coach, nor have I seen a front office so capable, and ready, to provide what what will inevitably show up as still needed. This is going to be fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson