15 thoughts - free agency

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I hope Larry Fitzgerald never retires.

2 – I am just going to be an echo of myself: I have said over and over and over again throughout the years that the salary cap is waaaaaay overrated. The Cards can easily get a lot of salary cap space if they want. That is also why I don’t include anything about contracts in these thoughts. It would simply be a waste of time.

3 - I don’t think it is biased to say that Kyler Murray is in the top five among the league’s most exciting players going into next season.

4 – First round cornerback, thank you very much.

5 – What about bringing in Josh McCown as offensive coordinator? He was let go by the Texans (!!!) as a player and he has been open about his desire to get into coaching, and he is considered a very bright coaching mind. The odds still are that the Texans bring him back in some coaching role, but with his past history in Arizona? I would be all for it. He is not going to call plays anyway, so let him grow in the role.

6 – Before last season, wide receiver Marquis Hollywood Brown declared his unhappiness in Baltimore. Since then he has become their #1 receiver, but hasn’t exactly flourished. He was once Kyler Murray’s favorite target in Oklahoma. Reunite the dynamo-duo?

7 - Patrick Peterson would be a stud centerfield safety.

8 - Do you tag Haason Reddick to see if he can replicate his great season before you might sign him long term after next season? I say aye.

9 – Center Corey Linsley is probably my dream-signing. I think the center position is criminally underrated and that a very good center would do wonders for the o-line.

10 – I really don’t have anything at all to say about the speculation of a Kyler Murray-for-Deshaun Watson trade, but…

Few people are bigger fans of Watson than his former college head coach, Dabo Swinney, who is a good friend of Steve Keim.

Steve Keim wanted to draft Deshaun Watson in 2017 before being leapfrogged by the Texans.

How do Texans owner Cal McNair save face after the fight with Watson? By bringing in the local hotshot budding superstar quarterback that the team can grow around.

New Texans head coach David Culley comes from a job as assistant head coach and passing game coordinator for the Ravens, where he worked closely with the Murray-clone, Lamar Jackson.

… and that’s all I have to say to that! Hmrf.

11 – Tight end / pass catcher trades to be made? David Njoku from the Browns and Evan Engram from the Giants are players with huge potential and not much success so far.

12 – Are the people arguing that Keim is going all in this year the same who said that Keim was going all in the year he traded for Chandler Jones? Or after he traded for DeAndre Hopkins? Or after he drafted a quarterback first overall one year after paying a lot to draft another quarterback?

Case in point: he certainly will make aggressive and bold moves.

13 – I am so ecstatic about the Watt-signing! I have seen some (a lot) of fans on this board insinuating that he is washed up, and I guess that is because they didn’t see him play last year or have not read any articles about it. That is fair. You can’t expect Cards fans to read Texans-news. That said, this can turn out to be a massive, massive reinforcement.

14 – As I said, the salary cap is very easy to manipulate (well, to the teams. Not to me), but it cannot be ignored, and the penalty might be cancellation of contract or loss of draft picks.

So to get under the limit, the Steelers would save a lot by letting stud guard David DeCastro go.

… and the Chiefs would save a lot by letting Tyrann Mathieu go. Okay okay, it will not happen. Just wanted to mention one of my favorite players of all time.

15 – It does raise my eyes when I see both Steve Keim and Sean Kugler talk about how Josh Jones can also play guard as well as tackle. Do they have other things in mind at tackle? Justin Murray switching out and Jones playing guard? Praying that Marcus Gilbert finally plays? Signing one?

Daryl Williams from Buffalo was an All Pro some years ago with the Panthers before he destroyed his knee, and he more than proved last year that he can still play. He will get a lot of dollars but might also be worth it.

I will bump this thread when free agency gets nearer. No matter what you think about it. It will happen.

Also, maybe some of the thoughts are outdated at that time.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry bro but #1 and #7 are certifiably laughable.

No evidence of any kind that says Petersen could be a stud safety.

Larry needs to hang them up. Hoping a guy averaging 7 YPC never retires and eats up your salary cap to boot is insanity of the highest order...

I do however wholeheartedly agree with #9 and #8

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of the cap. If we are “all in” then we need to go after 3 players for this offense.

1. Linsley, no brainer.
2. Ju ju. Super #2 Wr that flourished with Brown on the other side. Hopkins is that guy.
3. Running back. We simply cannot go into this season with Edmonds as our only proven back. It doesn’t have to be a superstar. Connors, Carson, Lindsay, Mack, Hyde, Coleman, Breida or Drake. Take your pick.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Would love Linsley.

Pat is a tough one. He just doesn't hit hard enough IMO but he could sure as heck read the field and react. Question is, will he get there before the ball does? I'm not so sure anymore.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Peterson stud safety? Seriously?
Someone who doesn't want to tackle or hide himself from tackling has nothing to do with the safety position

It is, of course, a fair opinion, Juza, but I disagree that he cannot (and will not) tackle. I think he showed something else last season. It is probably going too far to say that he re-invented himself as a player, but I do think he made up for other deficiencies with, for example, better tackling.

Also, I should note that I don’t envision him as an in-the-box safety. I mean as a deep safety that can read and react to the play.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Larry needs to hang them up. Hoping a guy averaging 7 YPC never retires and eats up your salary cap to boot is insanity of the highest order...

I absolutely understand your view, Shane, and from a pure football-perspective you are certainly right. I will admit that my opinion is highly emotional.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1 – I hope Larry Fitzgerald never retires.

2 – I am just going to be an echo of myself: I have said over and over and over again throughout the years that the salary cap is waaaaaay overrated. The Cards can easily get a lot of salary cap space if they want. That is also why I don’t include anything about contracts in these thoughts. It would simply be a waste of time.

3 - I don’t think it is biased to say that Kyler Murray is in the top five among the league’s most exciting players going into next season.

4 – First round cornerback, thank you very much.

5 – What about bringing in Josh McCown as offensive coordinator? He was let go by the Texans (!!!) as a player and he has been open about his desire to get into coaching, and he is considered a very bright coaching mind. The odds still are that the Texans bring him back in some coaching role, but with his past history in Arizona? I would be all for it. He is not going to call plays anyway, so let him grow in the role.

6 – Before last season, wide receiver Marquis Hollywood Brown declared his unhappiness in Baltimore. Since then he has become their #1 receiver, but hasn’t exactly flourished. He was once Kyler Murray’s favorite target in Oklahoma. Reunite the dynamo-duo?

7 - Patrick Peterson would be a stud centerfield safety.

8 - Do you tag Haason Reddick to see if he can replicate his great season before you might sign him long term after next season? I say aye.

9 – Center Corey Linsley is probably my dream-signing. I think the center position is criminally underrated and that a very good center would do wonders for the o-line.

10 – I really don’t have anything at all to say about the speculation of a Kyler Murray-for-Deshaun Watson trade, but…

Few people are bigger fans of Watson than his former college head coach, Dabo Swinney, who is a good friend of Steve Keim.

Steve Keim wanted to draft Deshaun Watson in 2017 before being leapfrogged by the Texans.

How do Texans owner Cal McNair save face after the fight with Watson? By bringing in the local hotshot budding superstar quarterback that the team can grow around.

New Texans head coach David Culley comes from a job as assistant head coach and passing game coordinator for the Ravens, where he worked closely with the Murray-clone, Lamar Jackson.

… and that’s all I have to say to that! Hmrf.

11 – Tight end / pass catcher trades to be made? David Njoku from the Browns and Evan Engram from the Giants are players with huge potential and not much success so far.

12 – Are the people arguing that Keim is going all in this year the same who said that Keim was going all in the year he traded for Chandler Jones? Or after he traded for DeAndre Hopkins? Or after he drafted a quarterback first overall one year after paying a lot to draft another quarterback?

Case in point: he certainly will make aggressive and bold moves.

13 – I am so ecstatic about the Watt-signing! I have seen some (a lot) of fans on this board insinuating that he is washed up, and I guess that is because they didn’t see him play last year or have not read any articles about it. That is fair. You can’t expect Cards fans to read Texans-news. That said, this can turn out to be a massive, massive reinforcement.

14 – As I said, the salary cap is very easy to manipulate (well, to the teams. Not to me), but it cannot be ignored, and the penalty might be cancellation of contract or loss of draft picks.

So to get under the limit, the Steelers would save a lot by letting stud guard David DeCastro go.

… and the Chiefs would save a lot by letting Tyrann Mathieu go. Okay okay, it will not happen. Just wanted to mention one of my favorite players of all time.

15 – It does raise my eyes when I see both Steve Keim and Sean Kugler talk about how Josh Jones can also play guard as well as tackle. Do they have other things in mind at tackle? Justin Murray switching out and Jones playing guard? Praying that Marcus Gilbert finally plays? Signing one?

Daryl Williams from Buffalo was an All Pro some years ago with the Panthers before he destroyed his knee, and he more than proved last year that he can still play. He will get a lot of dollars but might also be worth it.

I will bump this thread when free agency gets nearer. No matter what you think about it. It will happen.

Also, maybe some of the thoughts are outdated at that time.

2. Sooner or later you pay the price for too much maneuvering
3. True but don’t confuse exciting with performance. He has much to learn
4. Only if trade up or Peterson stays. Otherwise no one who will play #1 CB
5. Can’t force KK to use an OC
6. Depends on price
7. Peterson would only fit Baker role, Baker is better at it
8. $8 mil tops
9. Cap, but they need to address
11. Can’t fix everything. Re-sign Max
12. Not me; never said it before

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2. Sooner or later you pay the price for too much maneuvering

That is correct, but you can get around it. The Saints are the prime example. They do it basically every year.

3. He has much to learn

I know what you mean, Harry, but to me it is not necessarily the same. You can be exciting without being great.

5. Can’t force KK to use an OC

That is not correct, and he has in fact gotten a lot of inputs and help from especially Keim, but probably also others, in assemble his coaching staff.

Harry

Reaction score
That is correct, but you can get around it. The Saints are the prime example. They do it basically every year.

I know what you mean, Harry, but to me it is not necessarily the same. You can be exciting without being great.

That is not correct, and he has in fact gotten a lot of inputs and help from especially Keim, but probably also others, in assemble his coaching staff.

Harry

Reaction score
Would agree 3. Only partially agree on 1. This is a tough offseason for them

KK has agreed on some coaches but not on a QB coach or anyone who would be designing or calling plays. Not sure what else an OC could contribute.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KK has agreed on some coaches but not on a QB coach or anyone who would be designing or calling plays. Not sure what else an OC could contribute.

I don’t know, Harry. Tom Clements held the title of quarterback coach and passing game coordinator for two years, and it was seemingly Keim that hired him. Now, of course Clements might have "retired" because Kingsbury no longer wanted him to be around, but that would be pure speculation. And my point with McCown is exactly that he would not have too much on his plate right away since Kingsbury would have his hand on everything in this area.

Harry

Reaction score
I don’t know, Harry. Tom Clements held the title of quarterback coach and passing game coordinator for two years, and it was seemingly Keim that hired him. Now, of course Clements might have "retired" because Kingsbury no longer wanted him to be around, but that would be pure speculation. And my point with McCown is exactly that he would not have too much on his plate right away since Kingsbury would have his hand on everything in this area.

I don’t mean to be a smart aleck but what did Clements do. I never heard of him being involved in play design, calling plays or working on aspects of Murray’s technique. Clements was the invisible man. Did Murray ever say a word about “his” coach.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t mean to be a smart aleck but what did Clements do. I never heard of him being involved in play design, calling plays or working on aspects of Murray’s technique. Clements was the invisible man. Did Murray ever say a word about “his” coach.

Murray doesn't really say much of anything else prompted....so I don't know how relevant of a point that is.

Harry

Reaction score
Luckily I guess he gets prompted often.

"I feel like whenever I'm on the field, I've told you, I feel like I'm the best player on the field," Murray said after Wednesday's practice. "I always have the ball in my hands. It's my job to lead the offense down the field, put touchdowns up. I don't limit myself to any amount of time needed or years or anything like that.“

“I love Matt Stafford,” Murray said regarding the pending trade. “I think he’s one of the most underrated quarterbacks in the league. . . . I love watching him, I love the way he plays. He’s a gunslinger. If you watch the game, you know he can make any throw on the field and make it look easy. I don’t know if I’m too excited about it, but I love to compete.”

"I'll be kneeling. I stand for what's right. That's the bottom line. I call it like I see it. I'll definitely be taking a knee," Murray told reporters Wednesday.

Murray called the peaceful protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd "amazing" and said it's time to "hold people accountable" for their racist actions.

Cardinals QB and former Oakland A’s first round pick Kyler Murray hasn’t given up hope on playing baseball again: “I miss baseball, for sure...For me, I wish I could do both. I definitely feel like I could. I never say never.”

You must be registered for see images attach

“If they make me hand the ball off, then I have no choice but to hand the ball off,” Murray said Wednesday. “I don’t know what you want me to do. Do you want me to pull it and run into a (defender)? I don’t know. They’re making me hand the ball off, so that’s what I have to do.

I should add Murray did an interview about how he expected Clements to help him significantly. What I never saw (might have missed it) was Murray saying what Clements actually did for him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree, Harry, and that is exactly my point about McCown. He would not get a lot of responsibility. At least not visible to us fans. So he would be brought along slowly, yet he would still get a fairly big title which I think would be necessary to get him on board. Supposedly he is a big coaching talent, and was even interviewed for the Texans’ head coaching job.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave