Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Pollock might be most important (when healthy) but he’s not durable so they’re not extending him. He’ll most likely walk. If they flame out by July he’ll be traded.

I’m just not seeing Greinke getting moved with his deal... Not sure what happens with Corbin.
Yeah, we went all in with Greinke trying to show we are not cheap and it is biting us in the a$$.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ARZ is going to have to hope a contender thinks Greinke can have an Verlander type effect and offer to take him off of ARZ's hands. If it was true that ARZ had a chance to shed Greinke's deal after Year 1 with LAD offering to take him back without ARZ having to throw in a big chunk of money they are feeling regret as now they have contract issues to deal with.

If they can get 3 to 4 top prospects for Goldschmidt they need to do it, especially if they get a MLB ready bat in the package. Pavin Smith is probably a couple of years away but he is the heir apparent to 1B.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we went all in with Greinke trying to show we are not cheap and it is biting us in the a$$.

I wouldn't say that - we got 93 wins and into the playoffs. Without Greinke, it doesn't happen

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goldy does have a chance, with two more seasons (this year and next) to be career leader for most offensive categories for the Dbacks.

He is leader in:
WAR, Offensive WAR, Batting average (although almost slipped below Gonzo), On Base%, Slugging%, OPS, and other sabermetic catergories.

Second in: Games Played, At Bats, Plate Appearances, Runs Scores, Hits, Doubles, HR, RBI's, Walks (all to Gonzo) and Stolen Bases (To Tony Womack) Two decent years puts him at number #1 in all categories.

He is making $11 million this year, and $14.5 next year (team option).

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that - we got 93 wins and into the playoffs. Without Greinke, it doesn't happen
I agree with that. I was just thinking it could hurt us in the future signings, i.e. Goldy, Corbin etc.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You really can’t be so sure he’s “past his prime.” His numbers from last season wouldn’t suggest so (though he certainly did crash toward the latter portion of the season).

Yes you can. Goldy isnt going to put up a three year span like 2013-2015 again. That was his prime. He is now slowly declining, which means longer slumps and more often “crashes” as you say. That’s doesn’t mean he’s useless all of the sudden, but like every non enhanced player they decline as they age over 27.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yes you can. Goldy isnt going to put up a three year span like 2013-2015 again. That was his prime. He is now slowly declining, which means longer slumps and more often “crashes” as you say. That’s doesn’t mean he’s useless all of the sudden, but like every non enhanced player they decline as they age over 27.

I'm gonna hold the firm judgment on Goldy until later this season... Candidly, I don't see much thus far that would suggest he will duplicate that 2013-2015 stretch, however, I know how hard he works to stay physically healthy and fit. And at 30 years old, it's hard for me to believe that he is on the decline. Not when there have been hundred of other non-enhanced players who have played well and put up all-star seasons well into their mid-30's...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The consideration might not be is he past his prime, but rather how far into his next (larger) contract will he be.

Somehow that should be factored into the contract.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm gonna hold the firm judgment on Goldy until later this season... Candidly, I don't see much thus far that would suggest he will duplicate that 2013-2015 stretch, however, I know how hard he works to stay physically healthy and fit. And at 30 years old, it's hard for me to believe that he is on the decline. Not when there have been hundred of other non-enhanced players who have played well and put up all-star seasons well into their mid-30's...

I think we’re talking past each other here. I am not saying he won’t be an all star or even compete for an MVP in a given season, but his production in the next five years isn’t going to match or beat his production in the past five years.

Also, Goldy was better than all star at his peak. He was consistently MVP level.

As BC867 states, it’s about that next contract and is the club going to pay him for what he gave them in previous seasons (6-7+ WAR) or offer him what he’s projected to be worth in the next few (3-4 WAR)?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think we’re talking past each other here. I am not saying he won’t be an all star or even compete for an MVP in a given season, but his production in the next five years isn’t going to match or beat his production in the past five years.

Also, Goldy was better than all star at his peak. He was consistently MVP level.

As BC867 states, it’s about that next contract and is the club going to pay him for what he gave them in previous seasons (6-7+ WAR) or offer him what he’s projected to be worth in the next few (3-4 WAR)?

Ah... I see. And I do agree that his next 5 seasons will likely fall short of his previous 5. Regarding the next contract - I truly believe that the Dbacks will not have to worry much about figuring out whether to pay him off his past performances, or what he is likely to do over the next 6-7 seasons, as Goldy will not be pressuring them in that way. He is one of the true rare athletes where it can be said that money is not at all a motivational factor. He already believes he has been paid more than he's worth. The Dbacks will have an immensely achievable opportunity to lock Goldy up for the rest of his career - which is what he wants - at an incredibly reasonable rate.
Still, strictly from a numbers perspective - and I know you are fully aware of this - the team will find it nearly impossible to sign Goldy, Pollock & Corbin, with the 100% of Greinke still on the books... not to mention that in the next 2-3 years they will need to deal with Robbie Ray, Archie, Jake Lamb and Peralta. If they can somehow dump a majority of the remaining contract for Greinke, the rest of this becomes much more plausible.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If they can somehow dump a majority of the remaining contract for Greinke, the rest of this becomes much more plausible.
Here's hoping. With all due respect to Greinke, he is no longer the ace. We can replace him by moving everyone else up and adding a 5th. Figuring that Corbin will most likely be gone to the Yankees after the season, we'll have to take somewhat of a step back.

Regarding Greinke, the question is how much of his salary are the owners willing to swallow? Whereas I usually consider trades a GM's decision (for those of you who post on the Suns board), this one would be on the owners.

I wished at the time that we would have let Greinke return to the Dodgers. With his personality traits part of the equation, I had concern about how he would be able to handle the challenge of no longer being #1. Remembering that he chose the D-backs because (unlike the Dodgers and Giants) we didn't have an ace at the time. There is no other reason he left the Coast.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Keep starting him, brings down his asking price if he doesn’t turn it around.
Of course they'll keep starting Ray, but the priority should be winning vs. driving down his asking price.

After having to endure the tankers on the Suns board, I hope posts which infer that winning is not the priority starting early in the season don't invade the D-backs board.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Off topic, but is anyone else getting a WEBSITE NOT SECURE message in the URL field on the various ASFN boards during the process of logging in?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Off topic, but is anyone else getting a WEBSITE NOT SECURE message in the URL field on the various ASFN boards during the process of logging in?
One of the posters on the Suns board said he's been getting it for months. Oh, well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
One of the posters on the Suns board said he's been getting it for months. Oh, well.
It's all part of website security...if sites aren't https, they are considered unsecure...for the last year or so, the notification has been more in the background on chrome and Firefox...however new protocol will soon have a grey box appear on chrome and a red box on a Firefox screen...and visitors will have to acknowledge the unsecure site.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's all part of website security...if sites aren't https, they are considered unsecure...for the last year or so, the notification has been more in the background on chrome and Firefox...however new protocol will soon have a grey box appear on chrome and a red box on a Firefox screen...and visitors will have to acknowledge the unsecure site.

Exactly. I will soon be changing it to the https. Not sure when, but soon.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"Afterhaving to endure the tankers on the Suns board, I hope posts which infer that winning is not the priority starting early in the season don't invade the D-backs board"

That's why I rarely go to that board now.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home/Away splits

By Breakdown AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Home 35 7 8 4 1 0 3 14 2 14 0 0 .229 .471 .400 .871
Away 46 12 13 1 1 4 8 3 0 14 2 0 .283 .327 .609 .936

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

You're right! I use Safari and just changed my ASFN URL's from HTTP to HTTPS. And now I don't even have to log in each time on any or each of the ASFN boards, as I had to recently.

Thanks for the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard