Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
But the Kyler extension was a real screw job to anyone who took this team over... you either pray he can sort out his problems or you're forced into some real brutal decisions.
That does stick in my craw. It wasn't like Kyler won a Super Bowl from us and was leveraging that into a contract. I felt like they should have told him they were negotiating too soon, and taken the risk he was going to sit the season. Hindsight is a real mother, because that ended up essentially what happened with the injury eventually.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This team is awful... I also am not condemning the staff or the front office because I think it was made with the intent of being as bare bones as possible and, as a convenient side effect, awful.

But I dunno how someone can look at this team and think that the goal was to compete and be sitting here now in week 17 and being pleased with the outcome.

We either wanted to be bad and succeeded or we wanted to compete and failed spectacularly.

I can mollify myself in the idea that at least this front office has a vision... which is more than I can say for much of what I have seen here over the years, even if I disagree with their methodology.

Next year is going to be tough... 2 years of deliberate terrible is inexcusable in a league with such parity, but I don't see how they turn this thing around quickly with how devoid this roster is of quality players.

But the Kyler extension was a real screw job to anyone who took this team over... you either pray he can sort out his problems or you're forced into some real brutal decisions.
So what we know about Monti and Gannon is they can construct and coach a team to a bottom 5 NFL season. They have now proven that. What we have zero evidence of is their ability to construct and coach a team to a winning season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So what we know about Monti and Gannon is they can construct and coach a team to a bottom 5 NFL season. They have now proven that. What we have zero evidence of is their ability to construct and coach a team to a winning season.
That's fair. Is it also fair to say this team has played harder and looked better with less talent than the previous seasons Cards under Kilff? I think that's also a fair observation to make. I feel this last draft was better than most under Kilff/Keim. I also think it's too early to trend. We need at least one more season to see the direction this team takes.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They're better coached than they've been in a few years, but that is a low bar.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
One of things I've been wondering about Kyler and a reason I'm a little hesitant to move on from him this offseason is how much does he trust his knee. I know from my knee injuries that coming back from it is as mental as physical. It takes awhile to fully trust your knee again after a ligament tear. I guarantee that it's been a factor for him all season.

Could today be a sign that he's starting to trust it again? He had a few nice runs and took a couple hits.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just asked statmuse a few Kyler questions.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just asked statmuse a few Kyelr questions.

Good job. I think the debate is still on, but right now, we are better with Kyler than not. Detractors will say Kyler doesn't have a winning record.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the org seems to have made up its mind weeks ago (if not at the beginning of the season)

so -- it sure is nice to see Kyler put a solid performance against a good team in the books.

he looked comfortable and threw with timing

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we have seen enough of KM to have him as our QB for at least next year. What I saw today was a QB who can win a lot of games in the NFL. To ensure he can be all he can be I want a real LG and depth added to this Oline. If Colon and or Wilkerson sp? are on this team next year then Monti failed in FA and the draft.

As much as I've been stating I want Monti to trade down and get more draft capital this board has convinced me that drafting MHJ would be a good move. KM was great today and the thought of him with a solidified Oline and a superstar WR gives me a ton of hope for the future.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But we didn't punt a season. We brought in a new front office. We had a draft to address the different type of players we want in the organization. We hired coaches to reset the vision and direction of the team and to coach the players in that new vision. We laid out new strategies and a foundation to build on going forward. The staff saw which players to keep and which to get rid of that didn't meet our timeline or vision of type of player we want. This is a huge undertaking to establish all of this in one season times 70 or so players. Repetition and reemphasis of this new direction is being established over 20 games counting preseason. I don't think we punted at ALL on this season.
None of which means Monti had to look at FA last offseason and say, "Nah, I'm good."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KM made huge strides today

Great to see the character

The difference to me today, and I only saw the 2nd half, was he wasn't constantly taking the high risk throw? So much the last 2 years he'll do that instead of just trying to get the first down, today he took what was there.

He made some really nice touch throws today.

That said the one where he DID take the risk was the PI to Dortch that IMO was a bad call, we probably lose the game if they don't call that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Kyler made a really dumb play carrying the ball like a loaf of bread early and almost lost a fumble because of it. I'm not highlighting that to be negative, but actually to give him praise. From that point on, he listened to the coaching and was tucking the ball on runs. That is an improvement right there!

An overall really good game from him. Credit where it's due. Nice win.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
None of which means Monti had to look at FA last offseason and say, "Nah, I'm good."
Could argue it would have been wasting money, too. We still have that option open now. Plus we now know more what our base is and what we really need. I just hate throwing away big money on guys.