Is Jeff Hornacek the right choice for the Suns?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

Warren needs to start at SF. Tucker can play off the bench.

The two PG system needs to go even if it includes Hornacek. The chemistry is not right and it effects all the players. Unfortunately Hornacek is locked into this system and it is not working.

Another thought, if Hornacek goes perhaps Markieff responds as he may feel Hornacek contributed to Marcus being traded. If not, the Suns are in the same boat. IMO, Hornacek has had problems relating to player personnel dating back to last season.

I'm satisfied with the Suns players at the center position especially since Leuer can back up Chandler and Len, plus play PF.

The Suns might be weakest at SG.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

Warren needs to start at SF. Tucker can play off the bench.

The two PG system needs to go even if it includes Hornacek. The chemistry is not right and it effects all the players. Unfortunately Hornacek is locked into this system and it is not working.

Another thought, if Hornacek goes perhaps Markieff responds as he may feel Hornacek contributed to Marcus being traded. If not, the Suns are in the same boat. IMO, Hornacek has had problems relating to player personnel dating back to last season.

I'm satisfied with the Suns players at the center position especially since Leuer can back up Chandler and Len, plus play PF.

The Suns might be weakest at SG.
I think both Hornacek, Morris and the two PG system can leave all together.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both Hornacek, Morris and the two PG system can leave all together.

I would not be surprised in the slightest. However, changing coaches might be the easiest solution.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would not be surprised in the slightest. However, changing coaches might be the easiest solution.

Popovich couldn't make this roster watchable. Not saying Hornacek is blameless, but he is far from being the biggest problem the Suns have.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Popovich couldn't make this roster watchable. Not saying Hornacek is blameless, but he is far from being the biggest problem the Suns have.

I disagree about this. The Suns roster is not void of talent but the mandate for a two PG system is a barrier.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I disagree about this. The Suns roster is not void of talent but the mandate for a two PG system is a barrier.

I know you haven't actually made this claim but I don't see how dumping the combo guard system solves our problem. We are getting killed every night in the frontcourt and for the most part, our combo guards have been getting the job done. Getting rid of Knight and/or Bledsoe doesn't seem like a fix for Tucker and Markieff. And judging this system while hampered by 2 broken pieces isn't a fair evaluation IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Is there anything worse to be in this league than mediocre? It seems like every year this team is in limbo. Season after season, not great, not terrible.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm not sure the mandate for a 2 PG system is particularly important. I think almost any coach who had Bledsoe as his PG would seriously consider having a SG with good playmaking skills. He might have started out hoping Bled would blossom into a better playmaker but by this point that would have faded. Brandon Knight more or less fits that bill though he has always been listed as a PG.

I didn't think Brandon's history indicated he'd be first rate at either guard position so I thought he was a poor acquisition - and giving him a big contract was a worse mistake. He'd have to have a magical fit with Bledsoe and the overall team to make it a good move and there was nothing to suggest that might happen. Still nothing or less. Acquiring him was a sudden move - a risky gamble - to try to recover from the triangular mess that caught McD and Hornacek off guard last year. It's not like we were on the verge of being in contention - despite their dissatisfaction it was our guard play that kept the team afloat - if you can call it that. In short there was no reason for a risky gamble... except as attempt to save face.

We are locked in a struggle to reach mediocrity - and losing so far. The only hope is to shoot lights out from 3 and Hornacek hasn't realized that yet. Sit Markieff - preferably in the stands - and give everyone the green light to shoot threes, play Teletovic a good bit and hope. Of course, play Booker.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bledsoe is ok as a playmaker this really is not an issue about that or 2 PGs.

Brandon Knight is simply not a very good player. He is a good player on good nights. Unfortunately I have yet to see him have back to back good nights.

His bad nights are really bad. I don't like his feel for the game at all and his shot is inconsistent.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
PJ sucks hard, his lack of actual bball talent is starting to become more apparent.

Realistically though we are expected to hover around .500 with the roster we have so this is not a surprise.

Bledsoe is playing great but unfortunately not even Westbrook could win with these lineups.

Knight and Markieff are so inefficient, Tucker limited, Mirza possibly one of the worst 5% players in the league.

I would like to see more of this

Chandler/Len
Leuer
Warren
Booker/Goodwin
Bledsoe/Price

I'd be willing to wait a little longer with Markieff to snap out of that low % shooting funk. I really can't stand Knight so far. Terrible trade. Isiah Thomas is a much better player.

Last edited:

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
don't forget Bogdan Bogdanović.

McDonough must make a big move before the deadline.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd be willing to wait a little longer with Markieff to snap out of that low % shooting funk.

The thing about Morris -- not that I tend to lean in the direction of supporting him -- is that he makes some pretty good moves toward and around the basket, but can't finish. He still isn't getting any respect from the officials, but there are other times where he's untouched and blows it anyway. I don't know if it's a touch thing or if he tends to rush at the end of the play, or what. But in some sense, he isn't that far from being an effective player, if he could convert a higher percentage at the rim.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bledsoe is ok as a playmaker this really is not an issue about that or 2 PGs.

Brandon Knight is simply not a very good player. He is a good player on good nights. Unfortunately I have yet to see him have back to back good nights.

His bad nights are really bad. I don't like his feel for the game at all and his shot is inconsistent.

I don't agree with slin much, but when I do it's because I think knight sucks. Terrible reaction trade and cya signing. Blew it on this one.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its just too early with Knight. Most players don't even have their adult bodies until 24 or so. That is clearly true with Knight. Nash was a very similar player to night up until about 25 years old. Will Knight turn the corner? Don't know. But it is too early to give up.

He has to improve his 2p% and also his 3p%. Knight seems to be a decent shooter, so the key is improving his shot selection. If he can do that, he can be a VERY good player. We will see.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you haven't actually made this claim but I don't see how dumping the combo guard system solves our problem. We are getting killed every night in the frontcourt and for the most part, our combo guards have been getting the job done. Getting rid of Knight and/or Bledsoe doesn't seem like a fix for Tucker and Markieff. And judging this system while hampered by 2 broken pieces isn't a fair evaluation IMO.

I was talking about Hornacek's obsession for a two PG system more than dumping it. He doesn't seem flexible in this regard. I think it is the driver for the Suns offense and I'm not sure if the system works from what I have seen. It effects the whole team. The Suns do not have any options but to stick with it for now. I think Bledsoe or Knight would be more effective if they were the sole PG. IMO, the main thing the Suns should do now is to start Warren and make Booker a rotation player. I'm still hoping Markieff will come around but he likely cannot be traded for value until the court situation is resolved. I'd like to see what a new coach would do with this roster.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's funny how we see that changes need to made on the rotations and minutes played. Coach always seem to recognized it until it's too late.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was talking about Hornacek's obsession for a two PG system more than dumping it. He doesn't seem flexible in this regard. I think it is the driver for the Suns offense and I'm not sure if the system works from what I have seen. It effects the whole team. The Suns do not have any options but to stick with it for now. I think Bledsoe or Knight would be more effective if they were the sole PG. IMO, the main thing the Suns should do now is to start Warren and make Booker a rotation player. I'm still hoping Markieff will come around but he likely cannot be traded for value until the court situation is resolved. I'd like to see what a new coach would do with this roster.

Knight was available because of his liabilities as a lead guard. Apparently his coach (JKidd) kept trying to convince him he'd be better off as a shooting guard. From what I've read, when he's at his best he's a lot like IT. He's better at getting his own than setting up his teammates. He's not as good of a shooter as IT but he's a much better defender. And although I'm a Bledsoe fan, I've never thought we'd be happy with him as the sole ballhandler.

As for Jeff being flexible about the 2 PG's, they've been among our top 3 players in all but one game, what else should he do?

I know you've watched just about every game the past few years so let me ask you this. What do you think our record would be if Markieff and PJ were both playing like they did 2 seasons ago? IMO, we'd be no worse than 5 - 2 and Jeff would look a lot better to us.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its just too early with Knight. Most players don't even have their adult bodies until 24 or so. That is clearly true with Knight. Nash was a very similar player to night up until about 25 years old. Will Knight turn the corner? Don't know. But it is too early to give up.

He has to improve his 2p% and also his 3p%. Knight seems to be a decent shooter, so the key is improving his shot selection. If he can do that, he can be a VERY good player. We will see.

Knight may only be 23 years but he's already been in the league 4 years now. And the complaints that we have about him now are the same complaints that Bucks and Pistons fans had about him as well.

If his shot selection hasn't improved under Kidd and Lawrence, then I'm not so confident about it improving under Hornacek.

The most irritating thing about Knight is how he dribbles the ball with his head down. I thought your supposed to stop doing that in high school?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The most irritating thing about Knight is how he dribbles the ball with his head down. I thought your supposed to stop doing that in high school?

Isn't that right around the time you're supposed to learn the difference between "your" and "you're"? Or maybe it's earlier. I can never remember.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Isn't that right around the time you're supposed to learn the difference between "your" and "you're"? Or maybe it's earlier. I can never remember.

Not really, it's a basketball forum and the last thing I care about is grammar.

As for your question, I know plenty of post graduate educated people who don't use the "your" and "you're" properly so maybe not. So your perhaps wrong there and your not gonna catch me caring much about it either :D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Is it a coincidence that our backcourt consists of two tweener Guards and our backcourt turnovers are rising? Tweener Guards don't make it to the NBA because of their ball handling skills. Not quite ball handlers, but not quite shooting guards won't provide consistency or help the rest of the team as Point Guards should.

And is it a coincidence that our Head Coach (a former tweener Guard) is proving to be anything but a strong leader and the team's performance is inconsistent?

Geez, you get out of it what you put into it.

It is not going to be pretty. And it is not going to be quick. But the sooner the Suns realize it, the sooner they can truly rebuild.

Rebuilding isn't changing the roster twice a season haphazardly. It is formulating a winning NBA plan and making it happen.

The past two years have been wasted and there is nothing we can do about that. Except hire a Head Coach who has the strength to make sound decisions and give them a chance.

Jeff Hornacek's mentor was Cotton Fitzsimmons. Jeff Hornacek will never be Cotton Fitzsimmons.

Now that Dan Majerle is showing signs of maturity, perhaps . . .

No, never mind, we need a leader with no previous Suns ties if we are going to shed the image. That will be making a statement of intention.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knight was available because of his liabilities as a lead guard. Apparently his coach (JKidd) kept trying to convince him he'd be better off as a shooting guard. From what I've read, when he's at his best he's a lot like IT. He's better at getting his own than setting up his teammates. He's not as good of a shooter as IT but he's a much better defender. And although I'm a Bledsoe fan, I've never thought we'd be happy with him as the sole ballhandler.

I believe Knight's future is at PG not SG even if he plays like IT. He needs to adapt his game to maximize his assets. There is enough time. In regard to Bledsoe, I think he can play PG as the primary ballhandler but he would be better with a taller combo guard... not Knight. I must admit I question Hornacek about the way he is using Knight if he needs the ball in his hands.

As for Jeff being flexible about the 2 PG's, they've been among our top 3 players in all but one game, what else should he do?

Decide who he wants to keep as the Suns PG and trade for assets.

I know you've watched just about every game the past few years so let me ask you this. What do you think our record would be if Markieff and PJ were both playing like they did 2 seasons ago? IMO, we'd be no worse than 5 - 2 and Jeff would look a lot better to us.

The Suns would probably be better but there are so many variables like PGs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think for a lot of people they write things in a hurry and do not realize they are making this mistake. The same problem with "there" and "their."

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think for a lot of people they write things in a hurry and do not realize they are making this mistake. The same problem with "there" and "their."

It has nothing to do with being in a hurry. It is blatant lack of respect for the English language. In a hurry, I may mistype something. Your vs. you're and there vs. their vs. they're is beyond that.