Is Jeff Hornacek the right choice for the Suns?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's Paul Westphal doing?

Phil Jackson couldn't coach this team out of the basement right now.
Need some players first, or else the point is moo.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think we WANT anyone to coach this team out of the basement. This is our tank year.

Supposedly Horny is good a teaching young players. Might as well let him do it. Its the vet players that seem to be struggling.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we WANT anyone to coach this team out of the basement. This is our tank year.

Supposedly Horny is good a teaching young players. Might as well let him do it. Its the vet players that seem to be struggling.

Well, it has turned out to be a tank year but it didn't start out that way.

Things are beginning to make some sense. The Suns fired their two top two assistant coaches because it appears neither were likely to be retained as an interim head coach. Now Hornacek can coach the younger players and finish his contract as head coach. However, Hornacek needs to be told to forget about winning and develop the young players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I said above. NY didnt buy into his philosophy and neither did LA. Goran would have been perfect running Mikes system. He's a pure PG the same as Nash was and can shoot. The Warriors are running Mikes system with an emphasis on defense. Who better to run that system than the original architect. Id love to get back to those 50+ win seasons and in the playoffs where anything can happen. We could have been in the finals with Mike two different seasons if freaky things didnt happen.

I'm not locked into hiring D'Antoni back as head coach but the idea excites me. The Suns have been down for so long. IMO, the Suns need to cough up some money for a quality head coach rather than continually looking for one on the cheap (whether it be D'Antoni or someone else). At least the Suns know what they are getting in D'Antoni. When the Lakers hired D'Antoni, I was puzzled because Howard and Kobe where clearly bad fits. Nash had age and health problems going against him.

If D'Antoni were to be hired he would need to commit to playing defense and be more open to different ideas. I was really not into the Knicks situation so I will not comment.

If the Suns looked into hiring Tom Thibodeau or a lead assistant from a team like the Spurs I would be just as excited but I think D'Antoni can get the job done if he gets the right point guard to run the offense.
It goes beyond just not having an "emphasis" on defense. He went out of his way to avoid any attention to the defensive side of the ball, part of his philosophy was to get the other team to play a fast pace too, which meant playing this loose, terrible defense and gambling repeatedly for fast breaks on shots.

The Warriors are not "running his system", they do things extremely different. They crash the glass, they don't take wild gambles for fast breaks, they go deeeeep into their bench (something D'Antoni never ever did anywhere regardless of personnel) and they also happen to have Curry who is like the evolutionary Steve Nash. We don't have anything like that. He also made it clear his thoughts on player development, which he didn't feel was part of his job.

We didn't get the close to the finals because of Mike D'Antoni, we got close because of Steve Nash. We continued that success, getting as close as ever in 2010 without D'Antoni using the bench in ways Mike never even tried.

D'Antoni was a flat out horrible coach in every single place he coached besides a 4 year run in Phoenix with Steve Nash. He was fired by 3 different franchises, accumulating abysmal records, he even had an abysmal record here in games where Nash didn't play.

We would not be a 50 win team, we wouldn't be close to one. We'd be a horrible horrible team that despite being pathetic would still only use 8 man rotations and young players would end up in the dog house whenever they struggled. THAT is his MO.

I cannot believe anyone would consider it. Seriously, look up what this guy did outside of his run in Phoenix with Nash. He didn't just fail, he failed spectacularly.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not locked into hiring D'Antoni back as head coach but the idea excites me. The Suns have been down for so long. IMO, the Suns need to cough up some money for a quality head coach rather than continually looking for one on the cheap (whether it be D'Antoni or someone else). At least the Suns know what they are getting in D'Antoni. When the Lakers hired D'Antoni, I was puzzled because Howard and Kobe where clearly bad fits. Nash had age and health problems going against him.

If D'Antoni were to be hired he would need to commit to playing defense and be more open to different ideas. I was really not into the Knicks situation so I will not comment.

If the Suns looked into hiring Tom Thibodeau or a lead assistant from a team like the Spurs I would be just as excited but I think D'Antoni can get the job done if he gets the right point guard to run the offense.

I disagree. If you want to make it about defense, bring in another Head Coach. If you want Mike, give him control of the team and do not dictate style to him. We went down that road once already. I hope he's learned that his approach of playing defense strategically has flaws. They have to also be able to get stops at key moments but if you don't believe in him and his system, shop elsewhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. If you want to make it about defense, bring in another Head Coach. If you want Mike, give him control of the team and do not dictate style to him. We went down that road once already. I hope he's learned that his approach of playing defense strategically has flaws. They have to also be able to get stops at key moments but if you don't believe in him and his system, shop elsewhere.

I don't think we are in disagreement here. I'm not expecting D'Antoni to coach the defense but I expect for him to hire an assistant coach who will give more than lip service to defense. One of D'Antoni's problem with the Suns before was he would not hire a defensive coach or give thought to the idea of developing young players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It goes beyond just not having an "emphasis" on defense. He went out of his way to avoid any attention to the defensive side of the ball, part of his philosophy was to get the other team to play a fast pace too, which meant playing this loose, terrible defense and gambling repeatedly for fast breaks on shots.

The Warriors are not "running his system", they do things extremely different. They crash the glass, they don't take wild gambles for fast breaks, they go deeeeep into their bench (something D'Antoni never ever did anywhere regardless of personnel) and they also happen to have Curry who is like the evolutionary Steve Nash. We don't have anything like that. He also made it clear his thoughts on player development, which he didn't feel was part of his job.

We didn't get the close to the finals because of Mike D'Antoni, we got close because of Steve Nash. We continued that success, getting as close as ever in 2010 without D'Antoni using the bench in ways Mike never even tried.

D'Antoni was a flat out horrible coach in every single place he coached besides a 4 year run in Phoenix with Steve Nash. He was fired by 3 different franchises, accumulating abysmal records, he even had an abysmal record here in games where Nash didn't play.

We would not be a 50 win team, we wouldn't be close to one. We'd be a horrible horrible team that despite being pathetic would still only use 8 man rotations and young players would end up in the dog house whenever they struggled. THAT is his MO.

I cannot believe anyone would consider it. Seriously, look up what this guy did outside of his run in Phoenix with Nash. He didn't just fail, he failed spectacularly.

I guess the biggest difference I have with your arguments is they do not leave room for a coach to learn from the past and to say Nash was the only one who can run DA's style offense. There will never be another Steve Nash but that does not mean there will never a PG who can run his offense. Anyway, if D'Antoni ever gets another chance to coach the Suns we will find out the truth.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We have a lot of data that tells us what Mike D'Antoni can do. Outside of his years with Nash, he's been a dismal failure every step in his career. He is an awful coach!

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
We have a lot of data that tells us what Mike D'Antoni can do. Outside of his years with Nash, he's been a dismal failure every step in his career. He is an awful coach!

And yet Jerry Colangelo thinks enough of him to bring him to the 76ers. Is Jerry stupid? All you complaining about DA is basically calling Jerry stupid. I think he knows a little more about basketball than any of us.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That says it all. Leave it to Sarver to set his sights low.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the biggest difference I have with your arguments is they do not leave room for a coach to learn from the past and to say Nash was the only one who can run DA's style offense. There will never be another Steve Nash but that does not mean there will never a PG who can run his offense. Anyway, if D'Antoni ever gets another chance to coach the Suns we will find out the truth.

D'Antoni seems to take the utmost pride in his stubbornness, I don't see him learning much from past mistakes. He refused to adjust in Phoenix when match ups would get exploited in the playoffs, he refused to adjust to personnel in every other coaching stop. And when a coach is as bad as he is at everything besides running the fast break offense (by virtue of an MVP point guard) I don't see that even him adjusting his offense to a different guard would be enough to bring him up to par. His short comings are a loooooong list and he had just one strength which vanished sans Steve Nash.

Even if we had Nash part 2 I still wouldn't want D'Antoni. He brought in a nice system that several good teams and coaches have adapted to their styles, but he never showed the ability to adapt himself and was terrible at several key responsibilities of a head coach.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

But the point is, Hornacek isn't some genius either so who really cares? Worst case scenario, Suns get a top pick next season again and that very well may be the direction their headed for next couple years anyway.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet Jerry Colangelo thinks enough of him to bring him to the 76ers. Is Jerry stupid? All you complaining about DA is basically calling Jerry stupid. I think he knows a little more about basketball than any of us.

Bringing in a guy to consult on running the offense and handing him the keys to the franchise vastly different. If Jerry crosses that bridge then you can claim I'm calling him "stupid". Until then such comparisons and accusations are... stupid.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Bringing in a guy to consult on running the offense and handing him the keys to the franchise vastly different. If Jerry crosses that bridge then you can claim I'm calling him "stupid". Until then such comparisons and accusations are... stupid.

He brought Mike on as associate head coach. And Im sure if Jerry still owned the Suns Mike would be our head coach along with possibly GM. So there you go. Try again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He brought Mike on as associate head coach. And Im sure if Jerry still owned the Suns Mike would be our head coach along with possibly GM. So there you go. Try again.

Hmmmmmmm... doubt both, again, if he actually grants D'Antoni those jobs in Philly then you might have a point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh my lord... the only thing that Sarver could possibly do to make me hate him more... bring back DA. That would be a hilariously terrible decision unless Sarver's figured out how to clone Steve Nash.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Well that is flat out false but I agree he's not the guy for this team.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score

Native

You are wasting your time discussing D'Antoni with any of these guys on this forum. I agree with most of what you say but you have no chance of changing anyones mind on this board.

There is so much pent up hate and miss representations of Mike's coaching record it really is not worth the effort.

Your first clue is that they don't want a coach that will only win 50 games per season. Hell, with the way we are going we are not going to have a 50 win season again this Century.

I just want watchable basketball and that is what Mike has provided at every stop, even with the horrible rosters he had to coach other than the Suns. Yes the Laker squad was horrible even with 4 hall of famers. Why do you think Phil Jackson turned down the opportunity?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do you think Phil Jackson turned down the opportunity?

He didn't, the Lakers went with D'Antoni when Jackson asked to be allowed to forgo some of the longer road trips.

But hey, lets not let facts get in the way!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Native

You are wasting your time discussing D'Antoni with any of these guys on this forum. I agree with most of what you say but you have no chance of changing anyones mind on this board.

There is so much pent up hate and miss representations of Mike's coaching record it really is not worth the effort.

Your first clue is that they don't want a coach that will only win 50 games per season. Hell, with the way we are going we are not going to have a 50 win season again this Century.

I just want watchable basketball and that is what Mike has provided at every stop, even with the horrible rosters he had to coach other than the Suns. Yes the Laker squad was horrible even with 4 hall of famers. Why do you think Phil Jackson turned down the opportunity?

LOL... that whole post is full of fabrication, but none more so then the last line. Jackson didn't turn down the opportunity. He was ready to accept the job and Jim Buss pulled the rug out from under him and made the idiotic decision to hire DA. And if you don't believe my words, take it from the horse's girlfriend's mouth who RUNS the Lakers and sleeps with Jackson:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/22/sports/la-sp-lakers-jeanie-buss-20130922/2

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The biggest issue with D'Antoni running this team is that he isn't capable of defining roles for players any better than Hornacek is. D'Antoni handed the offense to Nash, who was a more than capable All Star veteran PG who Marion and Stoudemire deferred to. Nash made sure they got their looks and touches. If Mike took over the Suns then the me-first PG play by Knight and Bledsoe would only take a step further putting them in the same sort of category as Iverson, Marbury, Steve Francis, and even Russell Westbrook to a degree. All of those players looked out for themselves first and the team second, some of them had immense talent which led to some success but never any sort of titles. You can fast break all you want, without a willing facilitator and players with enough talent around that player to carry the team offensively then D'Antoni's system will fail.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard