Is Asante Samuel Realistic Goal In FA?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing his name on different boards .. Do we have a shot at him?

Plus, I really dont watch the Pats so I looked up his stas.. He wasnt very impressive till last year it looks like.. Is he really that good?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The only way that it isn't realistic is if the Pats franchise him which is very likely.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Samuel earned himself a HUGE payday this year... And he is worth it as he is a top 3-4 NFL CB... I am hearing that the Pats will actually Franchise him. Amazing as I don't believe a CB has ever been franchised before...

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
If there is one piece to the puzzle missing here, it's a good cover corner. I believe his addition could mean a couple more wins to this team. How many big plays were given up by our corners last year? If not Samuels, go after Clements........

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Samuel earned himself a HUGE payday this year... And he is worth it as he is a top 3-4 NFL CB... I am hearing that the Pats will actually Franchise him. Amazing as I don't believe a CB has ever been franchised before...

I think Charles Woodson was franchised before

Reaction score
I guess it depends upon whether Samuel wants to stay in NE vs. $$$.

That and will NE match or better what he is offered on the market?

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hhhmmm.. Thats what scares me.. If he isnt franchised, and we get him, after looking at his stats Id be worried he will be another Duane Starks..

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Samuel is one of a few good CBs available this offseason. Given that OL and CB is the Cards most pressing position of need, I hope they sign some guys. Samuel would be a good pick up.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
sometimes you have just have to pull the trigger on someone. if the cardinals want him then they will get him. i am impress with his play also. i am very surprise that he didn't go to the pro-bowl.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
...after looking at his stats Id be worried he will be another Duane Starks..
Duane Starks was a pretty good CB when he wasn't injured. His problem was, he was always injured.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hhhmmm.. Thats what scares me.. If he isnt franchised, and we get him, after looking at his stats Id be worried he will be another Duane Starks..

Gee - I don't have the actual stats, but Samuel is either one away or tied from the alltime record for INT's in the post season. That didn't just happen in one year my friend. The dude is a bigtime, big-game player!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the $$.

Do we have the will?

They said on ESPN yesterday that he wants Champ Bailey money and he has a tattoo on one arm that says "get paid."

So it's going to take some cash.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said on ESPN yesterday that he wants Champ Bailey money and he has a tattoo on one arm that says "get paid."

So it's going to take some cash.

LMAO! I want this guy now just for this.. Can you imagine all the chants we could do either way, if he does good or bad?

classic...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. We won't even have a shot.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee - I don't have the actual stats, but Samuel is either one away or tied from the alltime record for INT's in the post season. That didn't just happen in one year my friend. The dude is a bigtime, big-game player!

Well that lil stat does us no good as we would have to actually MAKE the playoffs wouldnt we? ;)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Keep this in mind--

lots of teams have cap room -- so there will likely be lots of competition for him--

also -- if there is a good market for the guy, the Cardinals may never get a shot at the guy through no fault of their own --

for example: Samuel is from Florida -- what if Tampa or Miami pull out the stops for him and he values staying close to home.

I guess my point is that the Cardinals not signing him could very well have nothing to do with a willingness or lack of willingness to spend the money.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Not realistic because the team is already paying Antrel Rolle a lot of money to be the #1 CB. The question is how much do you put into the CB position? Rolle is supposed to be the #1 CB. ESPN expects Samuel to get Champ Bailey money, e.g. 65-million. I don't expect the Cardinals to pony up that kind of money.

It's more likely they'll go after a solid veteran for the 2nd or 3rd CB slot, depending on how they feel about Eric Green.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
the good thing is that he probably has raised his value to be greater than Nate Clements. That may make Clements more affordable since he will be the #2 CB on the market instead of #1.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
would like to see us walk before running....spend it on a few real good players not one great one....

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
does anyone remember how much hutchinson signed for with vikings?? this will be a low benchmark on what it will take to get davis to sign or how much it will cost to franchise....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen