Is Asante Samuel Realistic Goal In FA?

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bob Kemp today compared Samuels to Duane Starks. He said that Samuels is a product of the system and gets pics because their D is so good. He thought he would have the same results Starks had while in AZ.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Bob Kemp today compared Samuels to Duane Starks. He said that Samuels is a product of the system and gets pics because their D is so good. He thought he would have the same results Starks had while in AZ.

ARRRRRGGGGGG!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we dont get samuel we better get briggs with all the money we have under the cap.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The thing I really like about Samuel is that he has improved every year in the league. His play isn't based on physical ability, but on player intelligence. That minimizes the risk of him being a FA bust IMO.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
The question was "Is getting Asante Samuel realistic?".

My answer would be no.

I think it would be great for the Cards to try and get him. I think he will actually be good and improve the team. I just see too much competition for him for him to actually end up a Cardinal. Several teams will overpay him, maybe including the Cards, but when it comes down to it, the money will be so much that even if the Cards offer the most, he would probably choose a hometown team or a team that made the playoffs this year.

I would be very happy if the Cards got him, but I just don't see it happening.

Oh, Totally_Red, don't worry about the Cards spending too much for 1 position. I think this year, with the shortage of good free agents, the Cards will be hard pressed to reach the league min for spending.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
would like to see us walk before running....spend it on a few real good players not one great one....

Makes good sense. Forget the few top tier players and let teams outbid each other for them. Add some solid starters and some depth but have a good draft because thats where you really build your team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For What it's Worth...

According to SIRIUS radio's guys, there's no way Belicheck and Paoli will let Samuels walk. But should this conceivably happen, the first phone call his agent would accept figures to be from Mangini and the Jets.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep hearing his name on different boards .. Do we have a shot at him?

Plus, I really dont watch the Pats so I looked up his stas.. He wasnt very impressive till last year it looks like.. Is he really that good?
Last year we signed the consensus #1 FA in football and this year we are 40 mil under the cap. Not to mention that we are currently considered up and coming and Arizona is from what I hear about the most beautiful place in the country to live in. I would say we are in good shape to get him if we want to.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to SIRIUS radio's guys, there's no way Belicheck and Paoli will let Samuels walk. But should this conceivably happen, the first phone call his agent would accept figures to be from Mangini and the Jets.
Dont underestimate the ego Belicheck and the pats organization as a whole. They worked hard to build a rep as team founded on the thought that a bunch of good players who know their role will beat a team with a superstar here and there. Brady is the only guy on that team that is paid anywhere near the top 5 at his position. samuels will likely be looking to be the highest paid corner in the game, and quite honestly I think that only champ bailey and chris mccallister can rival him at this point. the cards haven't had a shutdown corner since aneus williams. i would absolutely love to have the guy. With his coverage skill just imagine how much more often adrian could be sent at the qb.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Realistic?? Perhaps.. As the old saying goes-- money talks.

I'm concerned with him that he'll cash in on a payday and half ass it. Just my hunch anyhow.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ARRRRRGGGGGG!

Hey I'm just the messenger. I like Samuels but I haven't really watched him until this year. Is getting a "Get Paid" tatoo a red flag? Will he play at this level when it's not a contract year? Can he play this well with our defense? I say we move Rolle to Saftey and get 2 great corner backs. One in FA and one in the draft.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey I'm just the messenger. I like Samuels but I haven't really watched him until this year. Is getting a "Get Paid" tatoo a red flag? Will he play at this level when it's not a contract year? Can he play this well with our defense? I say we move Rolle to Saftey and get 2 great corner backs. One in FA and one in the draft.
I agree. I think rolle will make a GREAT free safety. If he does, and we were able to land a top tier corner via FA or the draft I believe green can hold his own on the opposite side of the field. Wilson is already at pro bowl status, and i believe antrel could get there in his first season. if we added 1 more star to the secondary we better spend our draft picks on some run stuffing d-linemen cause teams are going to have no choice but to run it

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Also, the reported 40 times I've seen for CBs in the draft are mostly bad (not that they're trustworthy). I'm concerned there are no real future shut-down NFL CBs to be had there, unless you roll the dice and pray. If that's right, Samuels' value goes up, but the chance we can get him goes down.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
This guy gets slapped with a franchise tag so fast it leaves a red mark. Heck, it may even be cheaper to franchise him than ACTUALLY resigning him. And the Pats are 31 mil under the cap.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herd Mentality

One thing that struck me watching Senior Bowl workouts was the matchup advantage most receivers had over the DB's covering them.

You could see it in the individual drills. You can see it when you compare how deep this draft class is in quality WR's vs. DB's. It's scary how far down the WR list you can go and still drool over the really good receivers who figure to be still available there.

You almost get the feeling that every one of the 32 NFL teams will be 5-deep in big, fast, velcro-handed receivers who can go get it. It's no longer good enough to have a strong cover corner on each side of the field. You need a 3rd guy to cover the slot receiver and a quality 4th and 5th guy to handle 4 and 5 receiver sets.

I think a smart response to this trend will be for teams to load up on as many cover CB's as possible.

Not only does this make Samuels worth "gold", it also suggests that you'll see a run on corners fairly early in the April draft.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
One thing that struck me watching Senior Bowl workouts was the matchup advantage most receivers had over the DB's covering them.

You could see it in the individual drills. You can see it when you compare how deep this draft class is in quality WR's vs. DB's. It's scary how far down the WR list you can go and still drool over the really good receivers who figure to be still available there.

You almost get the feeling that every one of the 32 NFL teams will be 5-deep in big, fast, velcro-handed receivers who can go get it. It's no longer good enough to have a strong cover corner on each side of the field. You need a 3rd guy to cover the slot receiver and a quality 4th and 5th guy to handle 4 and 5 receiver sets.

I think a smart response to this trend will be for teams to load up on as many cover CB's as possible.

Not only does this make Samuels worth "gold", it also suggests that you'll see a run on corners fairly early in the April draft.

The Cardinals must just accept they will have to pay for quality here. No diferent than any other critical skill position.

One thing though, the price of a true shut-down corner is not going down next year.

"Thankyou" will seem a bargin in two years at todays price.

I want the Cardinals to give him as much pie as it takes and be the first and last team he talks to.