Is Alex Smith a possible QB for the Cardinals?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Mortensen‏Verified account@mortreport 39s40 seconds ago

Alex Smith has had Reid's support all week but his performance against the Jets also will determine how short his leash gets with rookie Patrick Mahomes in waiting, the sources also say.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Real hit-n-miss day for Smith today, but ultimately they failed to win (again), so he’s gonna get hammered by their fans.

Reaction score
I would absolutely hate if the Cardinals pursued Alex Smith, and it has nothing to do with Smith himself.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see why we would want him.
Considering that he's 2nd in the league in passer rating, just behind Brady and ahead of Brees and Rodgers, with 23 TDs vs. 4 INTs, and the 5th highest yards per attempt in the league (8.1)... i think the Cardinals could do a lot worse. He's also relatively mobile and at 33 he could have 5 good years in him.

In his 5 years with the Chiefs his passer rating is 94.8, so this year hardly seems like a fluke, especially considering that this is the first time in a long time (ever?) that he's had a WR who could stretch the field in Tyreek Hill. Prior to this year his best targets were usually TEs and RBs.

...dbs

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't like Smith, but depending on how our coaching situation pans out, I prefer him slightly to Gabbert & Palmer as we enter what's likely to be a rebuilding/retooling season.

He can do just enough if this team gets a healthy DJ back and improves the line and defense. Ultimately, I'm hoping we draft a QB in the first round, but I am really pessimistic that we'll have a shot at doing so.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we'd be interested in A Smith, why wouldn't we be even more interested in Eli Manning?

(Odds of signing either one not real likely).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If we'd be interested in A Smith, why wouldn't we be even more interested in Eli Manning?

(Odds of signing either one not real likely).

One is three years younger and therefore can be signed to a multi-year contract?

Eli, like Palmer, is on his last leg, and only has a place in a team built to compete for a Super Bowl right now (not that I think he's going to be the missing piece to any team, I think he's toast).

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Considering that he's 2nd in the league in passer rating, just behind Brady and ahead of Brees and Rodgers, with 23 TDs vs. 4 INTs, and the 5th highest yards per attempt in the league (8.1)... i think the Cardinals could do a lot worse. He's also relatively mobile and at 33 he could have 5 good years in him.

In his 5 years with the Chiefs his passer rating is 94.8, so this year hardly seems like a fluke, especially considering that this is the first time in a long time (ever?) that he's had a WR who could stretch the field in Tyreek Hill. Prior to this year his best targets were usually TEs and RBs.

...dbs

He has played a lot of years and has proved he can't get a team over the top. I don't want a 33 year old QB that has proven he's not special in anyway with IMO junk stats because he's not asked to win and fails to when he tries.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I would t have a problem with that. But still need to draft a top replacement in this coming draft. Heck, I wouldn't mind having Josh back for a year to groom our young franchise qb.