Is Alex Smith a possible QB for the Cardinals?

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like his time is running out in KC. Makes little mistakes but Also little game changing plays.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Alex Smith rarely likes to take chances downfield.

Yep he's become a good QB but he's the exact opposite of what Arians wants his QB to do.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Probably. I can see it.

Has nothing to do with whether I want him or not. I can absolutely see Keim going after him as a stop gap.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy Reid dictates what Alex is allowed to do. I don't believe it is Alex's decision. Reid runs West Coast. Mahomes will probably do the same with an occasional bomb.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep he's become a good QB but he's the exact opposite of what Arians wants his QB to do.
I agree that he became a good QB after that crap show that he had to put with in SF. Although WRs don't necessarily thrive with Alex as QB. TE's are more productive with Alex Smith (see Vernon Davis tying what was then the record for TE TD Receptions).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Andy Reid dictates what Alex is allowed to do. I don't believe it is Alex's decision. Reid runs West Coast. Mahomes will probably do the same with an occasional bomb.

The odd thing is that Alex has the arm but it seems like he just scared to go downfield.

Agreed.

I do not think Alex Smith's ability to throw deep is what keeps him from doing so. I remember him being able to throw the deep pass very well, so his arm is plenty strong.

Just think it is either the system he is asked to run, OR that is his mentality.

If Palmer was not around, you can do a heck of a lot worse than Alex Smith. Yes, you can do better, but he would be able to do enough for a team like the Cardinals who have a good running game, and good defense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

I do not think Alex Smith's ability to throw deep is what keeps him from doing so. I remember him being able to throw the deep pass very well, so his arm is plenty strong.

Just think it is either the system he is asked to run, OR that is his mentality.

If Palmer was not around, you can do a heck of a lot worse than Alex Smith. Yes, you can do better, but he would be able to do enough for a team like the Cardinals who have a good running game, and good defense.

It's both. The reason the 49ers went to CK over Smith is that in watching films they came to the conclusion that Smith was consistently leaving big plays on the field by not taking shots downfield. They were willing to tolerate more mistakes and less efficiency to get a QB who was willing to take those shots when there.

Worked a couple of years but I would say in the long run they were probably better off stayign with Alex and trying to coach him to take more chances.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed.

His numbers outside the numbers are poor, and two seasons ago had the dubious distinction of not throwing 1 TD to a wideout.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
His numbers outside the numbers are poor, and two seasons ago had the dubious distinction of not throwing 1 TD to a wideout.

Agreed.

Just to clarify, and I may have done a poor job in my explanation, I understand he has poor numbers, but that I think that may be more head then ability. He has a strong enough arm to throw it deep...........but so did Derek Anderson. LOL

He may just be another SCUD, but understands his limitations.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
havent the Chiefs and Andy Reid just told you exactly what you need to know about Alex Smith by trading wayyyyy up in the first round to take Pat Mahomes?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"A lack of wide receiver production (although not a total lack) is pretty much par for coach Andy Reid's course. You can probably think of one, maybe two receivers who have put up big numbers under Reid, who coached in Philadelphia for 14 years before taking over in Kansas City in 2013."

must consider that future HOF WR corps in 2014 when none caught a TD pass;

Dwayne Bowe
De'anthony Thomas
A J Jenkins
Albert Wilson
Donnie Avery
Junior Hemingway
Frankie Hammond

Now that is a list from Who TH are they and what did they ever do for anyone?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
In a league where QB talent is very limited. You could do a lot worse than Alex Smith.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"A lack of wide receiver production (although not a total lack) is pretty much par for coach Andy Reid's course. You can probably think of one, maybe two receivers who have put up big numbers under Reid, who coached in Philadelphia for 14 years before taking over in Kansas City in 2013."

Dwayne Bowe
De'anthony Thomas
A J Jenkins
Albert Wilson
Donnie Avery
Junior Hemingway
Frankie Hammond

Michael Crabtree had 1 rec for 3 yrds in the NFC championship game with Alex Smith as the QB.
IIRC Michael Crabtree didn't have a 1,000 yard season until Alex Smith was shipped out of SF.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Dwayne Bowe
De'anthony Thomas
A J Jenkins
Albert Wilson
Donnie Avery
Junior Hemingway
Frankie Hammond

If Jeff Blake and Josh McCown can throw touchdown passes to Nate Poole, Brian Gilmore, and Bryant Johnson, I'm not giving any QB a pass on not throwing a TD all season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alex Smith isn't good so no.

Actually the stats disagree with you. He certainly isn't a gunslinger, but he does not make many mistakes.

He is kind of like the ultimate game manager, and if we still have a very good defense and David Johnson, we could do much worse than him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If Jeff Blake and Josh McCown can throw touchdown passes to Nate Poole, Brian Gilmore, and Bryant Johnson, I'm not giving any QB a pass on not throwing a TD all season.

Ouch. That is quite a point to make.......they had Anquan Boldin tho.

Oh and this....anytime McCown and Poole are mentioned this must be posted:

The catch that brought us Larry Fitzgerald, because without it, we would have Eli Manning or Philip Rivers.

STUPID YOUTUBE

You must be registered for see images